Taurus Tracker .357 model 627

PDA

iostorm
January 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
Please reply only if you have this gun, looking for likes dislikes etc.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Tracker .357 model 627" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Glockman17366
January 31, 2007, 05:59 AM
I've got the matte stainless steel model with a 4" barrel.
I've owned several Taurus revolvers over the years. My favorite is the little Model 85 Multi-Alloy I carry most frequently.

However, the .357 Tracker is my 2nd favorite. It's a great size and weight (for a .357 Mag revolver). It's got a few hundred rounds through it with no problems, so I consider it quite reliable. I also like the double lock up on the crane.

Really nice guns, the Trackers...

Ranger61
January 31, 2007, 08:06 PM
I've got a 4" 627 with the ribber grips and its a really good shooter. I thought the accuracy was only so-so with 38 level target loads but a couple of months ago I was shooting my 4" S&W Highway patrolman with some fireball 125 grain HPs loaded with near max loads of H110 and decided to try them in the 627. It shot 3 cylinders (21 rounds) into a smaller group than the model 28. So I guess its accurate with the full power loads just didn't like target loads. My only complaint is if you don't use a very clean buring powder the ports on the barrel cover the front sight so the insert in the front sight gets covered up. It cleans right up when you get home but the colored insert is only good for the first 14 rounds or so during each shooting session. Other than that its been a good gun.:)

steelhead
January 31, 2007, 08:24 PM
What I like:

1. Trigger was very good out of the box
2. Sights are easy to acquire
3. Overall size
4. Accuracy (many smiles from friends when they shoot it)
5. 38's feel like 32's and .357's feel like 38's (very soft shooting)

What I don't like (no deal breakers):

1. Cleaning the ports (tedious)
2. Loud because of porting
3. Lack of aftermarket grips (I would like some wood grips but don't want to pay for the Nil G's.)
4. Not thrilled about "Tracker" being plastered all over the barrel but most companies are doing this now.

Overall, it is a very sweet shooting revolver and I most definitely recommended it to others. So far, 3 friends have purchased one after shooting mine.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/397780.JPG

Haywood
January 31, 2007, 09:33 PM
Mine is a 4" there is nothing I don't like about it. I did change the grips to Houge, they just fit my hand better. I never shoot anything but full house 357 ammo and it handles that just fine. I never had a problem cleaning the ports. when i'm done cleaning it looks like new, like all my guns.

RoyJackson
February 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
Steelhead, that's a nice pic of your Tracker!

What type of Speed Loaders are shown in the picture?

steelhead
February 1, 2007, 08:07 PM
RJ,

They are HKS speedloaders and the model number is 587A.

http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/revolver/

Thx

iostorm
February 2, 2007, 12:59 AM
well the purchase has been made.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6254/357xzl7.jpg

pbhome71
February 2, 2007, 01:11 AM
Thank you for your following up. Nice revolver. I have one and I like mine.

How about obligatory range report? LOL.

-Pat

graffer
February 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
I have the 627 model before it was nammed the Tracker.

It fits my hand very well and is my favorite 38/357 revolver. It is the 4 inch model.

Someone said that they had aquired some Hogue Grips for it. I would like to
know the details on the Hogue grips.

graffer

steelhead
February 2, 2007, 05:52 PM
They are just the standard Hogue rubber monogrips. Check their website for a pic.

February 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
I had the titanium version and really liked it. Problem I had was with the ultra light weight the bullets tended to want to jump crimp under recoil. I swore off ultra light guns after a few diffewrent models all showed the same tendencies.

I meant to pick up a steel one as I really liked the gun but just haven't gotten that far down on my want list yet.

tagaykoyan
February 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
sweet shooter, this 627 is. i have one in 4", SS. spits of 38s like nothing.

http://www.highgroundmedia.com/tracker1.jpg

Bat22
May 5, 2008, 10:59 PM
A little late to the party but...

My state limits me to two choices: a 4" SS Tracker as seen on this topic, or a 6" SS 66.

Both have 7 shots, use the same ammo and speedloader, and length isn't an issue to me... so I'm open to pure experience (or bias) here. :confused:

Floppy_D
May 5, 2008, 11:19 PM
Based on my experience with the 627SH6C, it's a dream. If you don't mind rubber grips, its grips are great. Lots of fun to shoot, runs hot handloads quite well. The ports are a pain to clean, but otherwise it's a blast.

Sgt.Dusk
May 6, 2008, 01:14 AM
I have the 627-4SS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I like:

1. Trigger was very good out of the box
2. Sights are easy to acquire
3. Overall size
4. Accuracy (many smiles from friends when they shoot it)
5. 38's feel like 32's and .357's feel like 38's (very soft shooting)

What I don't like (no deal breakers):

1. Cleaning the ports (tedious)
2. Loud because of porting
3. Lack of aftermarket grips (I would like some wood grips but don't want to pay for the Nil G's.)
4. Not thrilled about "Tracker" being plastered all over the barrel but most companies are doing this now.

Overall, it is a very sweet shooting revolver and I most definitely recommended it to others. So far, 3 friends have purchased one after shooting mine.

What he just said, except that I got 6.5" barrel. And I got myself different rubber grips. Somehow I just didnt like the "ribber" grips.

Dont want to steal the thread, but after looking at those nice pics I gotta ask : How do you clean the burn marks on the cylinder? The matte steel finish seems to be a PITA to clean.

MojoTexas
January 29, 2009, 09:39 AM
I just purchased a Taurus 627 .357 with the 4" barrel. What do you guys use for a quality holster? I'm looking for something in leather, and I'm thinking something on the belt, not a shoulder rig.

ThrottleJockey
March 28, 2009, 03:11 AM
I've got the 4" model. Love it. Seems to be very accurate, porting keeps the recoil down well, gets really dirty really fast. I just use a plain old uncle mikes nylon holster with a strap for extra cartridges. After several hundred rounds, I am noticing a possible timing issue however. Any ideas?

Taurus_9mm
March 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
I own a Tracker .357 with a 6" barrel and can say that it's extremely soft shooting, even with stout louds. Between the weight of the revolver, the porting and the ribber grips, even the hottest .357s are tamed. Accuracy is good as well and I've not experienced any problems with mine. I picked it up for LNIB for $260.00 about 3 years ago. :D

www.taurusarmed.net

Gun Safety
February 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi;
I own a Taurus Tracker model 627 in 357 mag. It is the all Titanium model. I have shot alot of 357s over the years but I have to say this Taurus is by far the most accurate as well as Comfortable one I have ever shot. I find it a bit load due to the porting on the top of the barrel but that porting also keeps the barrel down and it helps you get back on target super fast. I love this gun to the poin that if I ever find another one in Titanium I will pick it up fast.

thunder173
February 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
SS 4 incher here. Nice shooter,..handles well,...loud because of the porting but comfrtable to carry. When I do carry it,..which isn't all that often,...I carry in a Galco rig either strong side or cross draw,..depending on what and where I am doing. The Galco I use is made for a S&W 686,..and works fine. I like the 7 rounds...Speed loaders might be hard to find,..but I never looked because I wouldn't use them with this gun anyways. Have several hundred rounds down range with it, all without issue.

jahwarrior
February 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
i don't own one, but i put about 100 round through the 4" SS model. that was a sweet shooting gun. i wouldn't buy one, only because i only buy guns i plan on carrying, and the Tracker isn't practical for me to carry; i don't hunt, so i have no use for one. i might be inclined to use it as a home defense gun, if i did buy one. but, from all the revolvers i've shot so far, i've done my best with that one.

mesinge2
February 27, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have a 357 Tracker that I routinely carry and a model 608 8-shot 357 for home defense. Both have never given me a problem.

As you can see the Tracker has some holster wear.

MSG
February 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hey mesinge2 how do you like your 608? I'm thinking about picking up a used one and was looking for some first hand feed back.

shockwave
February 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
How do you clean the burn marks on the cylinder?

There is a very easy solution to that. The Birchwood Casey Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth (http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html). I had over 1000 rounds out of my 686 magnum and last weekend I used the BC cloth on the cylinder and in less than a minute it looked as clean as the day I bought it. Outstanding product.

Strahley
February 27, 2010, 09:37 PM
I bought one the other day, I love it! I hope you love yours as well

roaddog28
February 28, 2010, 12:58 AM
I bought a 4 inch SS a few months ago. I like the feel and handling. I have small hands and the Tracker seem to be just right. Unfortunately, I had issues with the revolver and Taurus service could never fix the revolver right. This is after weeks and weeks of waiting. The problem was the cylinder was machined wrong and shell casings stuck so bad after firing the revolver I had to take a screwdriver to get them out. Even my gunsmith said to me that is one the worse machined cylinders he has ever seen. If Taurus service would of replaced the cylinder I would still own the revolver. When I finally got the revolver back the revolver was not any better. I finally traded to my gun shop and bought another revolver. Its too bad because I did like the Tracker but I just did not trust their warranty department. Every gun maker makes a gun that sometimes does not work properly. But when this happens the measure of a good company is the service and the ability to fix the problem. In my opinion Taurus failed to do this.

Regards,
roaddog28

mesinge2
February 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hey mesinge2 how do you like your 608? I'm thinking about picking up a used one and was looking for some first hand feed back.

Great gun, very accurate but its heavy. That is why it has been dubbed my house gun. It weighs 44 oz compared to the Tracker's 28.8 oz. Quite a bit heavier!

But you get an accurate gun that makes hot 357s feel like 38 SPL+Ps and carries 8 of them!

Glockman17366
February 28, 2010, 06:37 PM
mesinge2 wrote:
I have a 357 Tracker that I routinely carry...

What holster do you carry your Tracker in?

mesinge2
February 28, 2010, 10:24 PM
What holster do you carry your Tracker in?

Actually any python holster or Taurus model 66 holster works.

I carry it in a Don Hume IWB holster (Don Hume H715M W/C Clip-On IWB Holster) that I got from Gunner's Alley.

This is it: http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H715/Don-Hume-Clip-On-Inside-The-Waistband-Holster-H715M-WC.html

SAGE
October 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
Purchased the Taurus 627 .357 mag on 5/30/2010 and was pretty excited. Took it to the range and couldn't fire one round because of how bad the cylinder would bind after loading the ammo. A bit disappointed I contacted Taurus the following week and arranged for it to go back for adjustments / tweaking. Mind you this is a brand new revolver out of the box.

3-4 weeks later I receive the revolver back with a clean bill of health by Taurus.
I take it to the range. The revolver seemed to cycle fine and shoots well, but trying to extract the casings after was quite a problem. I ended up having to tap each empty casing out with a cleaning rod. Needless to say after changing ammo manufacturers and firing another 21 rounds through the gun it began to bind so badly that I couldn't even pull the trigger back or cock the hammer manually.:eek:

Called Taurus the following week and got a very snotty customer service person telling me it was the ammo and not the gun. I find this difficult to believe when a friend with a older .357 ( Security Six) was using the same ammo with no issues that same day. Granted his gun was broken in, but I can tell you the ammo was fine.

Long story short, I sold the Taurus revolver and picked up a Ruger GP161 and have never been happier. That will be my last Taurus ever. The guns have potential but the attitude of the customer service rep second time around is what killed it for me. :fire:

Taurus has a life time warranty for a reason. If you are one of the unlucky ones your gun will be in the shop more than at the range, and forget about relying on it in a life and death situation. Unless you purchase this revolver from a dealer that will take it back and refund your $, your pretty much stuck with it until Taurus can fix it, but that may take 2-3 times ( or more) of the gun going back to Taurus. :banghead:

I don't know about you, but once my confidence is shaken with a firearm, I usually just replace it and move on. Unfortunately Taurus made this easy with a failing firearm and a bad attitude support rep.

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra cash and get a quality gun like S&W or Ruger.

My 2 cents..

mzwosta943
November 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
Have 3 Trackers, all with 6.5" barrels. A 22LR, 357 & the 44mag. The 357 is the most accurate of the 3 & very comfortable to shoot compared

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Tracker .357 model 627" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!