1911 expert advice needed - troublesome slide stop pin

PDA

longeyes
January 6, 2003, 05:12 PM
I've got a Kimber Custom II with about a thousand rounds through it. Okay, here's the problem: Pistol is a royal PIA to field strip. It is next to impossible to pop out the slide stop pin. The thing won't budge. I've had it back to Kimber in Yonkers but they returned it, supposedly "fixed," without explanation. Alas, the problem remains. When I have been able (rarely) to dislodge this sucker I have similar difficulty in getting the pin back in. What is up with this? Is it a bad pin or a tolerance problem with the frame or what? It's not me because I have a Colt Sistema with which I don't have these problems. I like the pistol otherwise but admit I am starting to prefer shooting my Glocks, if only because I know they are so easy to clean afterwards. Any useful advice appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 expert advice needed - troublesome slide stop pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
January 6, 2003, 05:52 PM
Have you tried disassembling the pistol by starting with the barrel bushing? Push it out of the way, remove the plug and spring. Remove the bushing. Line up slide stop with notch and remove.

You can reassemble the same way. Insert barrel in slide. Insert bushing, push out of the way. Replace guide plug/rod and spring. Turn bushing to engage coils of spring, place slide on frame. Line up slide stop and insert. Finally, push in plug and rotate bushing to lock.

iamhistory
January 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
longeyes........I had similar problems with a Springfield Mil-Spec when it was brand new. It seems to be a "tolerance" type of issue simply until the pistol gets broken in. I notice with mine, there was no trouble taken the pin out.....just a heck of a time getting it back in.

With yours....you said it has about 1000 rounds through it. I called Springfield after about 300 rounds through mine and I was still having trouble. The rep told me she has had several Springfield 1911's and has had that happen to her a few times as well......after a while, it got much easier.

I don't know if this is what is affecting your Kimber or not, but I would guess it is something along those lines. If you Kimber is functioning well and you haven't noticed/experienced any problems.....it could be just a tolerance issue. I can understand though......it does get very frustrating when the pin refuses to go back in. What if we had to field strip in an emergency and get it back together quickly???

Anyway.......I continue to shoot my Springfield and take it apart/put it back together.........the pin is becoming more cooperative. I hope this helps a bit.

Good Luck

Ledbetter
January 6, 2003, 11:52 PM
By the way, if the pin is too big for the hole, sand the pin, not the hole.

longeyes
January 7, 2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks, guys, for the comments. I tried again and finally got the pistol stripped. I had to wiggle the pin for a while to get it out, then play with the slide travel to get it back in and fully flush on reassembly. Maybe it will loosen up over time...? Maybe the pin needs shaving? Maybe I just need a new pin altogether? (Wilson? Brown?) Is this one of those MIM parts everyone complains about?

dsk
January 7, 2003, 02:03 AM
Try inserting the slide stop into the stripped frame. That'll tell you if the pin is a bit too big for the hole. If so, replace the slide stop.

Ledbetter
January 7, 2003, 01:52 PM
If, and only if, it is too big for the hole, wrap some emory cloth around it and twirl it around. If you are as fanatical as me, you will only do this where the pin contacts the frame, in order to maintain barrel link tightness.

RpMiller
October 28, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have the exact same problem with my Ultra CPD II longeyes. I have had it for about six years now and several hundred rounds though it. Every time I go to strip it down for cleaning it takes a freakin act of congress to get that stupid thing out. I see videos all over of guys that just line up the witness mark, push on the right side and it almost falls out. I have to bang and pry on mine to the point I am SERIOUSLY worried sometimes that I am going to bend or break it.
:cuss::banghead:

gunzee
October 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
Look at the rear surface, where the springloaded detent engages the slide stop. There used to be a common problem with the stop "popping up" during firing, so maybe your factory has started deepening the detent-dimple. You can dremel out the side of the dimple into a more gradual slope, easing the removal of the stop. Do this in several tries, highly polishing the surface and using a bit of lube on it, each try. If you go too far, you'l'l be buying a new stop, probably $20 these days, and waiting on it for a month.

xXxplosive
October 28, 2010, 05:30 PM
Ya probably should have bought another Colt.............

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 expert advice needed - troublesome slide stop pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!