Whats the best American Made Gun?

PDA

nibb
February 1, 2007, 01:52 AM
Are you American?

What gun do you think is the best made ever that you can say proudly 100% American?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best American Made Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
February 1, 2007, 01:57 AM
COLT

JWarren
February 1, 2007, 02:01 AM
I know what you are getting at, but my firearm choices are not what makes me an American.

If I had to take a gander at it, and am working from the assumption that were are talking about military oriented rifles, I'd say that Garand, M1A, and AR-15 would be the top of the list.

John

razorburn
February 1, 2007, 02:03 AM
100%? What "made in America" over the last couple decades doesn't have foreign parts or metal in them?

nibb
February 1, 2007, 02:05 AM
So most of you would said COLT I think.

God made men and women; Sam Colt made em equal

What about Ruger etc?

JWarren
February 1, 2007, 02:08 AM
Its a little early to tally up the count.

As for Ruger, they supported the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban, and can therefore kiss my @$$. I'll never support them after selling out the Bill of Rights.

John

nibb
February 1, 2007, 02:19 AM
I bought a new Ruger sometime ago. New in box. I sold it after a month. It sucks. It was a .22. I tried it with Philippine ammo and it jammed every 3 shoots. Thats the difference for me between a good and a bad gun. A good gun spits any kind of ammunition, the bad ones, are very dedicated and only want first class ammo.

jrfoxx
February 1, 2007, 02:21 AM
If your talking the famous, iconic American wepaons (but not nesecarily of 100% American stell, parts etc), I'd say Colt SAA (or similar models), M1 Garand, M16 (and variants thereof), and BAR, and the 1911.

MACDD
February 1, 2007, 02:34 AM
M 2

selector67
February 1, 2007, 02:57 AM
The BAR and the Thompson submachine gun

Dionysusigma
February 1, 2007, 03:06 AM
Beretta, Marlin, H&K, CZ, Sako, Kel-Tec...

Yes, they are from other countries. But we're their number one market... and without 'em we'd be in a lot of trouble. :) Most guns out there have some heritage, or strong tie with America... too strong to be easily swept aside. From Remington Mosin-Nagants and Savage Enfields to every handgun based on Browning's designs, to countries that never fielded the .45 ACP round yet make millions of dollars selling guns in that caliber...

The world makes guns. We (firearms enthusiasts) keep 'em in business. :D

-Dionysusigma (Welsh, Scottish, French/German, Russian, and a li'l Native American in there too).

mike101
February 1, 2007, 05:53 AM
And this affects the quality of their guns, how?

I'll vote for Ruger DA revolvers. They represent the only advancement in DA revolver design, as long as there have been DA revolvers.

However, I don't like the idea of any gun manufacturer supporting ANY gun control, either. We have enough trouble with the antis.

As far as the .22 that jams. I have a Mark II that jams with everything I've tried, except CCI ammo. It NEVER jams with CCI. Weird, ain't it. :confused:

db_tanker
February 1, 2007, 06:08 AM
I must walk a diffrent path than others...

Sharps...ORIGINAL Sharps...not the Spaghetti Sharps. Those are nice, though. :)

Second...hmmm...Winchester Model of 1894 30 WCF.

D

Ala Dan
February 1, 2007, 07:04 AM
COLT

chiefs-special-guy
February 1, 2007, 07:18 AM
well, the galazan over and under is by far the highest quality gun ever made in the US, and is in current production. nothing else is even close. (just my opinion!) this is not to say this gun is the most important, or historical, or won WW2, or anything like that. just absolute best quality. equal to any gun on earth.
God Bless

El Tejon
February 1, 2007, 08:21 AM
I think it's a tie between Cooper rifles and a couple of high end over under makers.

USMC - Retired
February 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
I think this is too vague a question. You need to be more specific. Best pistol? Revolver? Rifle? Shotgun? For what purpose? What ranges. Etc...

American_Pit_Bull
February 1, 2007, 08:42 AM
Sig Sauer (aka Sigarms) P-Series out of NH

PILMAN
February 1, 2007, 08:44 AM
I've heard the rumours about Ruger supporting the AWB as well so they could get more business as imports would be imposed under restrictions.

As for American companys, wikipedia lists a few but I'm not sure how "American" most of the companys are as it lists Beretta and H&K as American companys, I thought Beretta was Italian and H&K was German? H&K doesn't have a factory in the US either but they do have a repair center in Alabama. Personally I own a USP however even though it is listed as an American corporation according to wikipedia, the firearm is completely imported.

Heres what is listed for American companys

Armalite
Barrett
Bushmaster
Remington
Mossberg
Hi-point
H&R
Intratec
Ithaca
Kahr
Kel-Tec
Kimber Manufacturing
Colt
Marlin Firearms
North American Arms
Olympic Arms
Panther Arms
Smith & Wesson
Savage Arms
Seecamp
Springfield Armory
Ruger

I guess anything made by those companys would be considered a quality firearm made in America at least to my knowledge?

nramember2
February 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
Link on Ruger and gun ban.
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

My vote Colt. I also believe Remington and Winchester have made some guns that are awesome.

DogBonz
February 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
Ed Browns products. No one said "production" so any of the top notch pistol/gun smiths building on USA made parts would take cake.

doubleg
February 1, 2007, 09:21 AM
Intratec :D

JWarren
February 1, 2007, 09:21 AM
Mike101 wrote:

As for Ruger, they supported the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban

And this affects the quality of their guns, how?

Based on the manner of the original question, it was implyed that there was a component of American idealism and/or patriotism to the question as pasted below:

nibb wrote:

Are you American?

What gun do you think is the best made ever that you can say proudly 100% American?

I seriously hope that what Ruger pulled is not an ideal of America. Maybe it is-- selling out the rights of American citizens for the opportunity to gain market share.

So, no. Thier support of the AWB does not intrinsicly affect the quality of the firearm-- but the original poster worded his question in a way that he wasn't simply seeking quality, but also character. Ruger firearms represent the manufacturer's lack of character in my eyes now.

I was told my a good friend once that our dollar are really the most powerful vote we have in a capitalist economy. Every day you "vote" for people or organizations. I choose not to ever "vote" for my enemies and the enemies of our rights.

John

plexreticle
February 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
Depends on what you want to do with it determins the best.

rangerruck
February 1, 2007, 10:25 AM
just recently, Kel tec has really made a couple of great strides, in their new weapons.

rangerruck
February 1, 2007, 10:27 AM
Kahr is N. American, but Canadian i think.

Werewolf
February 1, 2007, 12:33 PM
Best American Manufacturer:

Handgun - S&W
Longgun - tough call - toss up between Remington and Savage

tinygnat219
February 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
Colt. Bwahahahahahahahah! They're lucky they are still in business.

Kel-Tec? Fluff and Buff anyone?

Smith and Wesson is my guess, or Ruger.

Cuda
February 1, 2007, 01:24 PM
My Walther P38 is a darn good pistol..

But I'll add a vote for COLT...

C

xd45gaper
February 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
CZ-USA! :D
100% american? its hard to say. said gun could be 99.9% american made and built but have a couple springs or pins purchased from china.

and there is nothing wrong with buying a firearm or anything for that matter with foreign parts! it tooke me awhile to get used to it but the good ol USA does not have all the greatest stuff in the world :D some countries can just build stuff better and cheaper (not always a good thing) than us.

romma
February 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
Kahr is N. American, but Canadian i think. Kahr is made in Peoples Republic Of Massachusettes... My pick next to Kahr and Kel-tec...

hrgrisso
February 2, 2007, 06:56 PM
First and foremost, best American made and a representation of America.

WILSON COMBAT

They improve 1911's to a greater degree than any other practical gun maker around.

Also I saw post number 19 about Wikipedia. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and is not considered a verifiable source. Also my understanding that H&K is building guns in the U.S. Glock is as well. They have all built some form of factory to allow them better support by the military for pistol contracts.

GRB
February 2, 2007, 07:01 PM
The best all American gun would be the Remington 870 shotgun. Nothing else like it anywhere that does the job it does as well as it does it.

Next, maybe the Marlin 336 in any caliber.

Thats it from me.:)

Stevie-Ray
February 2, 2007, 07:23 PM
Colt

MRIman
February 2, 2007, 07:33 PM
I think every type of gun has it's own "best make"!!
For a shotgun: Remington 870
Small bore pistol(22lr) Ruger MKII
Big bore rev.: S&W
Auto pistols in general: Glock
Semi rifle: Colt
You get the picture. No one company can make the best
of "ALL WORLDS"

MRI

LiquidTension
February 2, 2007, 07:55 PM
I hear that Freedom Arms makes some nice stuff.

Seven High
February 2, 2007, 08:00 PM
Smith & Wesson :)

BigBlock
February 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
Remington new army cap and ball. No question. My favorite gun, period. :D Too bad mine was made in Italy. :rolleyes:

CarpenterCrack
February 2, 2007, 09:30 PM
Undoubtedly the Parker shotgun. Ithaca 37 not bad either.

absolute0
February 2, 2007, 09:57 PM
Smiths 'N Colts for me please...for my money the best to be had anywhere

Car Knocker
February 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
Beretta, Marlin, H&K, CZ, Sako, Kel-Tec...

Yes, they are from other countries.
What countries are Marlin and Kel-Tec made in?

xd45gaper
February 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
whoops didnt read the post right :D

possum
February 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
I bought a new Ruger sometime ago. New in box. I sold it after a month. It sucks. It was a .22. I tried it with Philippine ammo and it jammed every 3 shoots. Thats the difference for me between a good and a bad gun. A good gun spits any kind of ammunition, the bad ones, are very dedicated and only want first class ammo.

why didn't you try some american made ammo in it!:rolleyes:

i love my ruger .22 pistol it eats 550rd packs of .22lr like it is going out of style.

MachIVshooter
February 2, 2007, 11:39 PM
1850's-Remington
1860's-Remington
1870's-Colt
1880's-S&W
1890's-Winchester
1900's-Colt
1910('s?)-Springfield
1920's-Colt
1930's-S&W
1940's-Winchester
1950's-S&W
1960's-Marlin
1970's-Marlin
1980's-Ruger
1990's-Remington
2000's-Barrett

Just my opinion, and also based on development/contribution to the world of firearms as much as quality. Regrettably, Browning the man and Browning the company are worlds apart in terms of deserving recognition.

If you have to ask "why Barrett?" for the 21st century, better look through a gun rag.;)

tuck2
February 2, 2007, 11:44 PM
Take a look a Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc Stevensville, MT www.cooperfirearms.com

VMIRat1995
February 2, 2007, 11:49 PM
...most of the good guns these days are foreign made.

Heck, even when it comes to cars, does "Dodge" spell class or does "BMW" or "Lexus?" Al Bundy comes to mind now.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather drive a Ferrari!

VMIRat1995
February 2, 2007, 11:51 PM
...notice that most (90%?) guns are made by Yankees!

Damn Yankees!!!!!!!

10-Ring
February 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
For American made guns, I like Colt, Rock River Arms & Bushmaster :D Lately, some of my favorite guns are made in the US that were traditionally made elsewhere but IMO, the best ones are the ones made in their originally factories :D

RNB65
February 3, 2007, 12:42 AM
It is amazing how many firearms companies are located in states with very anti-gun laws. IL and MA in particular. These states don't like their citizens to own guns but they sure love the tax $$$ that comes from manufacturing and selling tons of 'em.

Boys and girls, can you say hypocrisy?

:rolleyes:

Neo-Luddite
February 3, 2007, 01:08 AM
Look, Colt makes a great gun sometimes.

I love the fact that you can get a model P.

Why on G-d's green earth can't they make an actual non-stupid proof 1911 or 1911a1 automatic with a non-70 series firing pin?

And Lord help you if you ever needed one of their lowest-bidder BS m16a2's built after their employee troubles in the 1980's to ACTUALLY WORK.

But I digress. I love the old ones and the new ones look very nice.

My final answer: Jennings.

Limeyfellow
February 3, 2007, 02:31 AM
I would probrobly say something like the kentucky rifle. Hand crafted wonders that where considered so good not much could match them for well over 70 years.

M.E.Eldridge
February 3, 2007, 06:19 AM
US Rifle, Caliber .30, M1. (Even though it was designed by a transplanted Canadian)

gm
February 3, 2007, 10:57 AM
browning beltfed machinegun would be my number 1 choice, others are:

Colt SA army,S&W target masterpiece,Thompson annihilator submachinegun,Ruger gp100.I like the springfield 03a3 for its accuracy.

Try some winchester wildcats in that ruger 22 semiauto, mine loves them for plinking.It is the cheapest stuff around at 12 bucks a brick of 550 rounds.Its an excellent gun but the release levers(slide and magazine) are either too small or in the wrong place.

Wesson Smith
February 3, 2007, 11:32 AM
I suppose it doesn't hurt to answer from a personal perspective?
I'd have to go with my S&W 686. I've never owned a more rugged, reliable
and relatively maintenance-free weapon. I guess it also helps that
when I have it in my hand, I'm 110% confident that a well-placed shot
will always be lethal. :D

Derby FALs
February 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
I hear that Freedom Arms makes some nice stuff.

I have never handled a gun as well made as a Freedom Arms.

MachIVshooter
February 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
most of the good guns these days are foreign made..

This assertion is based on what, exactly? The best AK's are made here. The best 1911's. The best revolvers.

........Heck, even when it comes to cars, does "Dodge" spell class or does "BMW" or "Lexus?" Al Bundy comes to mind now.

Dodge spells working class. Compare with Toyota or Honda.

If you want to compare BMW or Lexus with a domestic, Use Cadillac or Chrysler (after all, Chrysler/Dodge=Toyota/Lexus).

And believe me, the imports are not superior. Consider the county I work in: Nearly 3/4 of vehicle registrations are Domestic. Slightly less than half the cars that we fix are imports. Jap cars cost about 40% more to repair on average. European is about 3x the repair cost when compared to domestics. When you break it down, 3/4 of the vehicles on the road account for roughly 48% of the shop's revenue. The other 1/4 make up 52%. A standard brake job (pads and rotors) on a VW Toureg is ~$1,400. Same thing on a Trailblazer or Durango is about $350. And the Trailblazer will go twice as far on original brakes as the Toureg.

The Argument for imported guns has no more basis in fact than the one for cars. You do, in fact, get more for your money with domestic goods and you support the American worker. The only reason to buy an imported product is because no domestic equivalent is available.

Rembrandt
February 4, 2007, 05:11 PM
Sadly the majority of firearms mentioned are a far cry from being the "Best made ever".....most of the people suggesting them wouldn't know which end of a micrometer or caliper to use let alone what precision tolerances are. (And we won't get into wood-to metal fit)

If there is an American made handgun with tighter tolerances and a more precision fit than Freedom Arms, let's hear about it. Otherwise the rest are sloppy fitting sad imitations of the "Best ever made". On the rifle side, nothing compares to the Cooper or Dakota Arms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best American Made Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!