best (used) atv

PDA

mohican
June 2, 2003, 05:13 PM
I am looking for a (used) atv, preferably one 400 cc or larger, 4x4

Locally, I've been warned away from polaris and yamaha, and told to go Honda, especially if I by a used machine

Any thoughts? (Based on personal experience please)

If you enjoyed reading about "best (used) atv" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bottom Gun
June 2, 2003, 06:11 PM
I ride a 400 cc Honda Foreman 4X4. It has been utterly reliable and has all the power I need. I've dragged elk out and pulled pickups out of mudholes with it.

Before I bought this quad, I had a Honda Recon. It was also totally reliable. I sold it to a friend of mine three years ago. He rides it a lot and it still runs like a top.

If I were buying another ATV today, I'd probably buy another Honda.

Volpe
June 2, 2003, 06:42 PM
I have a 1988 Yahama Big Bear I bought used in 1989. It has never failed me. One thing I found out was that my Yahama has gravity feed fuel system which is a plus. Its a 350 4x4 and I wouldnt even think of getting a new one...

Newt
June 2, 2003, 06:54 PM
I've personally owned 3 major brands of wheelers. I've owned 2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha, and 1 Suzuki. You couldn't run fast enough to give me another Yamaha. As far as Suzukis and Hondas, I'd buy another one of them tomorrow. Hondas are the best in my opinion. Totally reliable, but I've heard reports of them not being up to par as far as performance compared to a Suzuki and Yamaha. I wouldn't be a bit scared to buy a used Honda. One vote for Honda.

Bigjake
June 2, 2003, 09:38 PM
As much as i hate imported anything, i can't say ANYTHING bad about anything honda! wonderful machines. i've had 3, a 90cc, 300 fourtrax and 400 foreman. never a hickup from any of them. can't recomend these any higher.

Pat S
June 2, 2003, 11:18 PM
I've got a 400 Polaris Explorer 4X4 and in the 5 years I've owned it it hasn't let me down and I hope to have it 5 more years before I buy a new one. Overall I've been very satisified with it.

One thing I've found from talking to owners of other four wheelers is that most are fiercely product loyal to what they ride, be it Polaris, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, ..... Many have never owned or even tried out some of the other machines but are loyal to their brand. With that many fiercely loyal people I think that all these must have there good points or people would polarize to a certain brand and I don't see that occuring where I live.

A couple of the features I really like in the Polaris are:

A soft ride but with the ability to wick it up over rough terrain with perfect confidence when neccessary. These things eat up bumps like you wouldn't believe and can still pull out a whole elk if necessary!

I also like the automatic transmission. I don't like to shift especially on steep uphills and even on steep downhills the superb disc brakes will hold me back without fade or grab.

My suggestion to you is go ride a few and buy the one with the features you like that has had good maintanance.

Pat S

Bigjake
June 2, 2003, 11:39 PM
Definatly try different ones out. if you are looking for an offroad/utility, don't bother asking the race motorheads, a racing machine is a lousy representation of the utility models.

I havent really messed with a bunch of other models, but i've seen the timberwolf and this big friggin polaris.

Timberwolves have NO BALLS (in my experience)

Polaris machines are the caddilacs of the 4 wheeling world. very very nice. buddy has a 700(?) cc one and they are just titty. never used it for any work but its nothing but fun to drive trails with.

Honda- my 2 hondas are just ballsy machines. can pull a full hay wagon and then go scale are 45* angle mountain in one fell swoop! pretty comfortable, not AS comfy as a polaris i guess, but good enough for me. i preffer the manual trany myself, makes for better towing of big heavy stuff or getting out of a tight muddy spot. i love my honda!

Bottom Gun
June 3, 2003, 11:32 AM
Some of my friends have Yamahas and Polaris and we've swapped around so we can compare the machines.
In my opinion, Yamaha is last in handling, power and reliability.
The Polaris 500 and 600 machines are powerful and the ride is good but appear to be higher maintenance than some others.
I personally prefer the ride, handling and manual transmission of the Hondas although I think an auto trans is available in Honda now if that's what you want.

I do wish my Foreman had an extra gear or two on the top end and a little more ground clearance but I guess the low center of gravity is why it handles as well as it does.

I've heard lots of good things about Suzuki and based upon my good experience with their motorcycles, would definitely take a look at them.

stevelyn
June 3, 2003, 11:50 AM
For 4-wheelers, I like the Suzukis. They normally have the option of a differentail lock, manual 4- WD, and Hi-Lo range.
But for a real going places ATV, the 8-wheel Argo is my favorite.

If you enjoyed reading about "best (used) atv" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!