.45ACP vs .45 Colt

PDA

Alan Fud
February 2, 2007, 07:47 PM
All other things being equal (say, a Taurus Tracker in .45ACP and a Taurus Tracker in .45 Colt) and using commercial ammo (say, Winchester Silvertips for the sake of discussion), which would be a better all-around and more powerful / effective self defense caliber choice? .45ACP or .45 Colt

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP vs .45 Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
February 2, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Alan - I'd say unequivocally the 45LC must have it in the power department. No contest. 230 grains at significantly higher velocity - plus options for hotter loads too.

However, 6 rounds of .45LC max against perhaps a double stack .45acp - perhaps the semi could balance the equation a bit thru capacity. But OK - you are I think suggesting revo vs revo.

And - of course - placement - every time, will determine the outcome! By that token folks might feel in better control of the .45acp. I'd not feel undergunned with acp but do rather like the 45LC!

Geronimo45
February 2, 2007, 07:58 PM
The ACP was originally designed to duplicate the .45 LC ballistics in a smaller case size (quicker-burning powers were around), IIRC. The .45 LC has a much bigger case, which allows for a loading past what you could get in the ACP.

Lone_Gunman
February 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
It is difficult to tell exactly what answer you are looking for.

Unquestionably, 45 Colt can be loaded to higher velocities than 45 ACP, but that does not seem to be what you are asking.

If you are comparing standard loadings of these two, say for example, Silvertips as you mention, then I would say there is absolutely no significant difference in stopping power between the two cartridges.

The platform that you fire them out of also needs to be in the equation though, as a 1911 will give you a lot more firepower than a SAA. I believe that may be a more important factor than any difference between 45 ACP and 45 Colt.

Brian Williams
February 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
Factory loads, are about the same for silvertips and in a Taurus Tracker, you are really limited to factory or standard loadings in 45 colt.
If you really do not care about the length of use of a tracker, you can load up some real hellanddamnation loads, You can make some real louden-boomer in 45 acp also.
There was an article a while back in some gun rag that was showing what you can do with todays powders and bullets, you can make some loads that rival some of the best hunting loads in factory 44mags.

pinotguy
February 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
I went with .45 ACP. It has a lot more versatility/availability as far as platform is concerned. .45 ACP is quite a bit more "efficient" as well. I love .45 Colt, by the way, but I don't believe it reaches its full potential until you get to the Corbon/Buffalo Bore/Grizzly levels (+P).

larstusor
February 2, 2007, 09:50 PM
Heck, why choose. Get a Ruger .45 convertible and be able to shoot either in the same gun.

cookekdjr
February 2, 2007, 10:15 PM
Well..................
Better for self-defense against two-legged predators? Give me an XD45 or some similar hi-cap .45 ACP.
Wanna kill and elephant or a Brown Bear? Give me a Ruger .45 LC revolver. You can load that sucker to elephant-gun levels.
A Ruger .45 LC revovler can be loaded to kill any land animal on earth.
-David

bakert
February 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
I didn't vote but with regular factory loads the .45 ACP has much a better selection of Ammo than the .45 Colt and can be used in both auto and revolver for most situations. Like pintoguy says though, I too love that big old .45 Colt rd and it comes into it's own with 250 to 300 gr bullets at about 900 fps on up to about 1300 fps. It's a real stomper then and also has one helluva lot more recoil than some gentle souls might want to endure.:eek:

10-Ring
February 3, 2007, 12:00 AM
I've had more experience w/ the ACP...so I voted that way ;)

Kimber1911_06238
February 3, 2007, 12:05 AM
I love the .45 ACP, but number's don't lie...the 45 colt packs more punch. That being said, the ACP is nothing to sneeze at if the bullets are flying your direction.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP vs .45 Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!