SKS Last Round Jam

PDA

DamnedDirtyApe
June 3, 2003, 12:15 AM
Noiticed lately that my Romanian is jamming a lot on the last round, usually sticking in the receiver "bullet tip up." I'm using Wolf 123gr hollow points that haven't been any trouble till now.

Suppose the mag spring is getting weak?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Last Round Jam" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
June 3, 2003, 12:29 AM
Spring sure is a candidate but ..... have you checked follower also (if one can call it a follower ... guess it is, just ''different''!). I assume this is std 10 rnd and not a 20 rounder?

I think other thing I'd check .. real close ... is smoothness of follower at very top end of travel .. any burr or similar .. at point when spring anyways exerts its weakest effect .. could be prejudicial. My SKS is a real beater but even with a 20 rounder installed ... ''eats'' all its food right up to last bite!!:p

makarov
June 3, 2003, 04:40 PM
Mine was doing that with a replacement fixed 10-round magazine. I watched it closely and it appeared that the follower was off center. I bent it slightly so that the bullet was in a better position. It did not do this on any but the last bullet when the follower was in direct contact with the bullet to be chambered. Lines up correctly now and feeds just like my other SKS with the original fixed magazine.

WonderNine
June 3, 2003, 05:45 PM
Anybody know who makes new replacement ten rounder magazine springs for an SKS? Wolf doesn't seem to.

NevadaPistolero
June 3, 2003, 06:43 PM
Also...wolf is very dirty ammo to shoot, are you cleaning the gun after you shoot it. Just a thought.

WonderNine
June 4, 2003, 01:10 AM
I was talking about Wolff Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com/), not Wolf ammo.

Andrew Wyatt
June 4, 2003, 01:53 AM
i'd email wolff gunsprings and see if they don't have a suitable spring that happens to be for another purpose.

DamnedDirtyApe
June 4, 2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the good replies. I'll tinker with the follower and check for crud.

These sort of rifles (AK's, SKS) shoot better when they're filthy - mine gets more accurate and reliable from 100 - 300 rounds, then things start going down the drain. Right now it's about 100 rounds since the last cleaning.

Nevada - I'm not a big Wolf ammo fan at all. I've had serious probs with Wolf .45, .223, .40 and Makarov. However, this 7.62 X 39 is the best Wolf I've ever used, and generally the rifle likes it just fine - accurate, clean, consistent. I'm certain this jamming isn't an ammo issue - everything works great, until the last round.

Maybe it's TOO clean! Perhaps I should throw it out in the mud and run over it with a tank or something.

Thanks again, all.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Last Round Jam" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!