Gun Insurance ... Do you have it?

PDA

RustyHammer
January 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
My State Farm Insurance policy offers a maximum of $5000 coverage for guns under the home insurance policy. If I want to insure them for more, I have to go outside the plan.

Do any of you carry "rider" policies and, if so, what insurance company do you use? (Any reduction for having a fire resistant safe?)

Any other thoughts and ideas are welcome ...

Thanks,

Rusty

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Operator Error: This should have been posted under the General Discussion section. My bad ...

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Insurance ... Do you have it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lexter
January 6, 2003, 05:03 PM
I have mine insured too. I didn't think to ask about a discount for a safe. Good idea!

Lexter

Doesn't the NRA give you a $1000 policy when you join?

sonoranjack
January 6, 2003, 05:26 PM
NRA does give ya $1,000 insurance policy.

yorec
January 6, 2003, 07:00 PM
I've done about the same thing: $5000 on home owners policy and thre NRA $1000. Not up to getting another policy or rider...

Talk about something you hope to never have to use!

AND a pretty good reason to join the NRA. :cool:

Drizzt
January 6, 2003, 07:34 PM
USAA doesn't require a rider. The guns are covered for up to the full value of your policy, as if they were simply household items....

telewinz
January 6, 2003, 07:58 PM
Gave up on it 20 years ago when it got too expensive.

St. Gunner
January 6, 2003, 09:59 PM
We have our insurance through Foremost and the policy was limited to $1,000 I asked the agent(Who is through Farmers) to find me more, he picked up the phone, called Foremost and instantly I had the $10,000 I was asking for. $3 extra per month to add it.

Not a bad deal by any means, but I hope i never have to use it, have some stuff from my grandpa and a rifle my dad built for me I can't really replace at any price.

Standing Wolf
January 6, 2003, 10:16 PM
I pay extra for extra coverage for both firearms and computer gear, and extra on top of that to keep my expensive and/or irreplaceable firearms in bank boxes.

PATH
January 6, 2003, 10:27 PM
I just have the NRA insurance. All I really need for now.

BlackArrow
January 6, 2003, 10:29 PM
.22, 22.70, .330, .30-06,.380, etc. you get the picture... If you have to itemize you have the wrong insurance company!

modifiedbrowning
January 7, 2003, 12:50 AM
Drizzt, for USAA is that under their regular homeowner or rental policy? I 'm covered by USAA for auto and thinking of adding renters insurance.

Matthew Courtney
January 7, 2003, 01:05 AM
I added mine to my Allstate Homeowner's Policy. No limit of which I am aware. Guns must be listed, but are covered for a lot of things. If I drop a shotgun out of a boat while duckhunting, they buy me a new one. If one mysteriously disappears from my vehicle, they buy me a new one, etc.

Ala Dan
January 7, 2003, 01:34 AM
I use to have a "Piece Of the Rock" on all of my
firearm's; now they're protected by SIG-Sauer and Smith & Wesson.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

sm
January 7, 2003, 01:36 AM
Yes
Not itemized tho'

10-Ring
January 7, 2003, 10:52 AM
Spoke to my agent long ago about this and he told me that as long as I store the guns in the house, they are all covered as 'contents'. I keep a photo and a spreadsheet of my guns & their ser #'s just in case.

Gewehr98
January 7, 2003, 12:28 PM
Additional rider for the guns, and they wanted an itemized list before putting the rider into force.

Part of our hurricane evac plan is to get all the firearms cased up and in one of the vehicles before departing to our evacuation location. Could get interesting.

dacinokc
January 7, 2003, 01:41 PM
My home owners has a seperate rider which requires Serial Numbers and descriptons. For guns in flux due to trading it is a pain, but for the members of the vault that won't be going anywhere, I find if worth the time and cost.

ruger357
January 7, 2003, 02:02 PM
House insurance $2000 NRA $1000. Have not checked into rider plans yet.

QB
January 11, 2003, 06:33 PM
drizzt & modifiedbrowning --

I have been insured with USAA since 1980. Based on what drizzt said about USAA covering the entire cost of the guns, I just read through my entire house insurance policy and it specifically states (in the exclusion section) that firearms are only covered for $2000 in the case of THEFT. It was silent on whether there was a limit on such things as the house burning down or other non-theft disasters.

I called USAA and they verified that firearms ARE LIMITED to $2000 in the case of theft but that I can get a rider. As far as "non-theft" disasters, the firearms are all covered as part of my personal property. This is not good for me either either as my personal property WITHOUT the guns would be maxed out in the case of total destruction (I should raise my personal property threshold I suppose).

Anyway, since the odds of my guns being stolen are higher than my house burning down (which is why USAA limits the $$ amount....they continue to offer LESS for MORE $$), I am getting a rider for my guns from USAA.

You might want to check your policy and the exclusions. I was SHOCKED that I'd only get $2000 (less deductable) for my guns if they are stolen.

Computers are another thing that are severely limited just like jewerly, coins, gold, silver, etc.

The "exclusions" or "what is not covered" get greater every year and everyone should read their current policy coverage NOW. You may be in for a BIG surprise...but better now than if a disaster happens.

redneck2
January 11, 2003, 08:50 PM
not to have a rider for the extra value. I have one and it's cheap relative to the coverage. We also cover the wife's jewelry.

The only feeling worse than coming home and having your guns gone is to have them gone and not covered

If you think your homeowners covers more than a nominal amount, think again

Also, the 100# lab and ADT give additional piece-of-mind. The burglar alarm is $29/month. A buck a day sounded REAL good to me.

BADSBSNF81
January 12, 2003, 08:50 AM
http://www.afi.org/ - If you qualify, these guys are good.

Smoke
January 12, 2003, 09:28 AM
Mine are fully covered under the standard home owners policy.

I do have to have "proof" of ownership. Detailed photos, and listed description and serial numbers.

Agent said that will be sufficient.

earl_simmons
January 12, 2003, 12:18 PM
Do any of these policies cover accessories, though? Specifically, pre-ban magazines that can be much higher in value than indicated by purchase receipts.

biere
January 12, 2003, 04:43 PM
I was told my guns were what was being covered by the gun insurance.

Accessories like spotting scopes, magazines, cases, holsters, lasers, whatever, were non-gun items. My guy got a bit goofy when I then simply said that was fine because my normal insurance would cover those outside the gun clause.

Overall, I get a headache when messing with insurance.

I do know everyone needs to ask about their specific policy and I have learned to ask a few times till I am happy the same answer is what I get each time. My headaches stem from answers with slight variations that seem to mean little verbally but could mean thousands if I had to use my policy.

biere
January 12, 2003, 04:53 PM
I was told my guns were what was being covered by the gun insurance.

Accessories like spotting scopes, magazines, cases, holsters, lasers, whatever, were non-gun items. My guy got a bit goofy when I then simply said that was fine because my normal insurance would cover those outside the gun clause.

Overall, I get a headache when messing with insurance.

I do know everyone needs to ask about their specific policy and I have learned to ask a few times till I am happy the same answer is what I get each time. My headaches stem from answers with slight variations that seem to mean little verbally but could mean thousands if I had to use my policy.

Monkeyleg
January 12, 2003, 11:09 PM
If the run-of-the-mill insurance companies are promising replacement value insurance under a standard policy, I'd be wary.

When I was doing a restoration of my Jag E-Type (XKE to you non-motorheads), I had my agent add replacement cost coverage to my policy for the car. Cost me an arm and a leg, but I figured it was worth it.

Well, when my assistant dropped a lightstand onto the hood ("bonnet") and absolutely ruined a mirror-finish paint job and bodywork, I called the agent.

The company said they'd pay $600 to have the damage repaired and repainted by the Usual Suspects Body Shop. This for a show-car paint job, and after paying premiums that were astronomical.

A painter who regularly did show cars quoted $4000.

The insurance company gave me their $600, saying take it or leave it.

I took it. And I left them.

Caveat emptor.

Drizzt
January 13, 2003, 12:19 AM
QB & modifiedbrowning:

I asked USAA specifically about the firearms coverage on my policy. It's not really a renter's policy, more of a modified homeowner's policy. I was told several times that the value of my firearms was only limited by the total value of my policy.

I do have the Cost of Replacement coverage, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Drizzt
January 13, 2003, 12:25 AM
QB & modifiedbrowning:

I asked USAA specifically about the firearms coverage on my policy. It's not really a renter's policy, more of a modified homeowner's policy. I was told several times that the value of my firearms was only limited by the total value of my policy.

I do have the Cost of Replacement coverage, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Insurance ... Do you have it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!