Switching barrels on a 700

PDA

redneck2
February 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
Thinking of getting a different caliber to add to the mix. So, I'm looking at maybe a .204 Ruger. Piddling around on e-bay and find some take off barrels for cheap. I have a sporter 700 in .223. Since the .204 case and .223 case look pretty close (almost identical), I'm wondering what it would to take to swap barrels.

My thought is, since I've already got the extra rifle (action), instead of spending $600 on a new rifle, I could spend $60-100 on the barrel and having it installed. There are also stocks that should match a heavy contour for pretty decent prices. I saw one nice one for $60.

Basically a new rifle for maybe $125-150. Any pitfalls??

If you enjoyed reading about "Switching barrels on a 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griz
February 5, 2007, 08:25 AM
Because the headspace needs to be checked/set, it's a job for a gunsmith. But it is a reasonable way to have a two caliber gun. And after switching you will have to re-zero the scope.

fspitzdorf
February 5, 2007, 10:07 AM
it isn't quite that simple... a 2 barrel 700 isn't nearly practical... it isn't like a savage...

If you enjoyed reading about "Switching barrels on a 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!