Charter Arms Bulldog 44spcl

PDA

jon_in_wv
February 7, 2007, 02:36 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a blued Charter Arms Bulldog in 44spl with a four inch barrel. The owner says it has a little holster wear but the guy he bought it from only fired a few rounds thru it and he only fired about ten rounds through it. The says he will sell it for 150 bucks. I'm not sure I need a 44 special right now but there is a gun show coming up early next month. If I don't like it I'm sure I can get that amount in trade on something else. What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter Arms Bulldog 44spcl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
February 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
As long as it mechanically checks out, you can't go wrong at that price. I would personally prefer a 2" barrel over a 4" though.

steelhead
February 7, 2007, 02:55 PM
I doubt you will get $150 on trade. Maybe $100. I would pass and wait to find a Taurus or S&W 44 special.

Sniper X
February 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think that model and barrel length is the same gun Son of Sam used back in NYC to do his dirty deeds. Historical model only because of him. I seem to remember they (thepolice) were calling him the .44 mag killer at first before they got his letters and notes calling himself Son of Sam....

ArchAngelCD
February 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
A brand new Charter Arms Bullgog 44 in 2.5" lists for $399. Of course the street price would be a lot less. I don't know if you will be happy with an older Charter Arms revolver because of quality issues. (from what I'm told)

Richard2003
February 7, 2007, 08:48 PM
I just sold one for $250.

Starter52
February 7, 2007, 08:52 PM
The 1970's-era Charter Arms .44 Special was a decent-quality gun. I'd buy it for $150. I'd buy it for $200.

Skofnung
February 7, 2007, 08:53 PM
If it is an earlier gun, I would buy it for that price. My mother has a late 70's Bulldog and it shoots very well.

They are not S&W quality guns for sure, but the earlier ones are reliable and hard hitting.

dispatch
February 7, 2007, 09:42 PM
Buy it NOW

GaryP
February 7, 2007, 10:37 PM
If it's a Stratford, Conn. gun and in excellent condition $150 is a bargain. The Charco made bulldogs that followed were ???????? and the Charter 2000 guns that followed Charco, while a big improvement over Charco, are a little rough around the edges.
On another note Son-of-Sam used a Mid 70's Charter Arms 3" Bulldog .44.

:evil:

joneb
February 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
It sounds like a great deal, I would jump on it. If you don't like it, I'll buy it.
The one complaint I heard regarding the older 44 Bulldog is that the screws may loosen, this is a easy fix with the CORRECT screwdriver and Locktite 242.
http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

Blue .45
February 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
I bought mine new in 1989. It's stainless and I paid about $235 for it. I put about 500 hundred or so rounds through it with no problems at all. My brother picked one up at the same time I did however, he had to send his back for repairs a couple of times with trigger and cylinder problems. While it's certainly not a range gun, it should be well worth $150. Until S&W or Ruger comes out with one, I intend to keep mine.

Croyance
February 8, 2007, 01:29 AM
A brand new Charter Arms Bullgog 44 in 2.5" lists for $399. Of course the street price would be a lot less. I don't know if you will be happy with an older Charter Arms revolver because of quality issues. (from what I'm told)The new ones have a worse reputation than the old ones. The originals were said to be rough, but functional.

bpisler
February 8, 2007, 03:09 AM
jon_in_wv
Couple of quick points here,if you don't
reload ammo can be costly.The bulldog
isn't a revolver that can take 1,000's of
hot hand loads,it wasn't designed for it.

The earlier charter arms revolvers seemed
to be of good quaility for a decent price
bit not as smooth as S&W or colts.I do
enjoy my 3" 44spl bulldog that i spent a
whole 150.00 dollars on,it looked newly
new when i bought it at a local shop.

ArchAngelCD
February 8, 2007, 03:49 AM
The new ones have a worse reputation than the old ones. The originals were said to be rough, but functional.
I guess I was given incorrect info., sorry, didn't mean to give bad information...

obiwan1
February 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
I use my 3" and my 4" Charter .44s as house guns loaded with Glasers. I much prefer the 3" with its fixed sights and solid (non sleeved) barrel. The adjustable sights on the 4" really suck, but I think of the gun as a < 15 yd gun. By the way, total investment for the two is $325.

P.S. Both were bought in the late '70s

earplug
February 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
My Dad and I bought Bulldogs in the mid 1970's. My revolver would not stabalize bullets well and they key holed at 12-15 yards if I remember.
Have read that something was done wrong at the factory when screwing on the barrels. Dad's gun works well.

wnycollector
February 8, 2007, 03:54 PM
JibJab thanks for the GREAT link to the bulldog article!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter Arms Bulldog 44spcl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!