AR15 Freefloat barrel tube

PDA

ShaiVong
June 3, 2003, 04:04 PM
Oke. I just ordered a complete standard A2 upper from sableco. If i get a free float barrel tube later, so my grip isnt clamped to my barrel, do i need anything else special to freefloat it? A special grip, front sight etc..? Do i need a removable front sight?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Freefloat barrel tube" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
June 3, 2003, 04:09 PM
Is the upper a post-ban ?
Depending on the float tube you want to use, this may be a factor. Actually, if it has a permenently attached muzzle brake is the factor. To install some free floating set-ups, you need to remove the front sight. In order to remove the front sight, you need to be able to slide it off the front of the barrel. If you have an muzzle brake or flash suppressor on the end, this would have to be removed in order to get the front sight off. By the way, removing the front sight tower pretty much just involves removing the two pins holding it to the barrel. You don't need anything special to remove the front sight tower other than the ability to slide it off the end of the barrel.

If you have no muzzle brake you are good to go.

If you later decided to go with a KAC RAS II for example, you can put it on without removing the front sight and it free floats the barrel. If you are going with a more "target" float tube, then you need to remove the front sight.

Clear as mud ?

ShaiVong
June 3, 2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, its a post ban.. ATM hes just checking on the lead time, and money hasnt exchanged hands yet. I'm planning on getting just a crowned barrel with no compensator, and a removable front sight, because it says thats an option.

If I decide to go ahead and get a 22/24" barrel some time later, and a scope, I want it to be freefloated.

June 3, 2003, 04:15 PM
I am not sure, but if someone told me it had a removeable front sight, I would be thinking that it had a four rail gas block and a folding front sight on it. But, in this case, I don't know.

If in the future, I wanted to get a 24" barrel, floated, with a scope, I would just get a whole new upper and keep the old one. But that is just me.

ShaiVong
June 3, 2003, 04:16 PM
Same here 444, but for me it all comes down to $$$ :rolleyes:

Thats why i went RRA rather than BM (which is what i really wanted).

Hopefully when i get out of college ill be able to start collecting uppers! (carbine, varmenter, national match...)

Steve Smith
June 3, 2003, 04:27 PM
If you are even considering adding a tube later, I suggest you do it now.

June 3, 2003, 04:32 PM
Here is a float tube, four rail gas block, and a "removable front sight". Front sight is in the folded position.

ShaiVong
June 3, 2003, 05:18 PM
If you are even considering adding a tube later, I suggest you do it now.

Uh oh, why? :uhoh:

Don't do this to me Steve! Ill have to wait another like 2 months if i have to buy a tube now!

Steve Smith
June 3, 2003, 05:33 PM
Because it will cost you more to put it on later than to just have it done now!

Badger Arms
June 3, 2003, 07:39 PM
Agreed with Steve. It will cost more later to have it put on and you'll have to drift out pins, retorque the barrel, bore-sight and square the front sight block... etc. etc. Free-float tubes aren't hard to install, but you'll definitely save in the long-run by doing it now.

Lucky
January 26, 2006, 12:44 AM
What tool do you use to remove the front sight pins? Hammer?

January 26, 2006, 02:31 AM
Hammer & Punch

Bobarino
January 26, 2006, 03:19 AM

hey! that looks familiar. i just installed that exact same setup on mine tonight. check out the "Oh baby, you're so tactical" thread.

Bobby

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Freefloat barrel tube" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!