Early Charter Arms revolver

PDA

tbeb
January 6, 2003, 05:18 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a pre-1964 Charter Arms Saturday Night Special .38? It looks like an Undercover model but I think model name may have been "Saturday Night Special". Any info is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Early Charter Arms revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tbeb
January 6, 2003, 09:21 PM
Since posting I've been told by the seller that the pre-1964 was simply called a Charter Arms .38 special. He says it may have been Charter Arms first revolver.

Is it worth more than a working gun or is seller trying to scam me by making me think it's a collector's item? Can somebody who has a blue book tell me what one is worth that's 98%? Thanks.

bpisler
January 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
I doubt there is collectors value to any charter arms revolver,i've seen at lease one early one that was nib that sold for 160.00 on a online auction.If you do a search on auction arms or gunbroker i think you'll find a couple of early charters in the 130-150 dollor range.BTW i think the early charter arms were decent pistols for the money.

Nick96
January 7, 2003, 11:46 PM
As I recall, Charter began production around 1964. I suppose there may be some collector value in one with a low serial number, but not much. Like $200 for something similar and newer for $150. Charter did make some 20th anniversery limited edition models. Highly engraved and well finished .38 "Undercover" models. These would be of more "collector" value I would think.

Never heard of a Charter "Saturday Night Special". Though they may have picked up that name from the "anti-gun" folks since they were cheaper than the premium priced S&W and Colt small frame revolvers of the time.

tbeb
January 8, 2003, 12:21 AM
I only saw a picture of gun, and other info is through email correspondence. I do not think seller knows what he has. Origianal Charter Arms Company was born in 1964, so gun cannot be a pre-'64. Gun also says "Undercover" on the barrel. What he's got is an Undercover in excellent condition that's worth $145. Sorry for the confusion...

If you enjoyed reading about "Early Charter Arms revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!