TAURUS PT 145 PROBLEMS

PDA

The Amigo
February 8, 2007, 11:35 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone here has had feed problems with taurus magazines in the pt145. There seems to be 2 different styles made by them where the first seems to deform at the top lip after a while. I purchased one from my dealer and it seems to have more reinforcement a top and works fine compared to the 2 original ones i got when i purchased brand new. Mine worked fine till the 3rd to 5th round and the misfeed.

Im not interested in Negative comments about Taurus like Taurus is trash. Im interested if you had this kind of problem with some of their mags:)

If you enjoyed reading about "TAURUS PT 145 PROBLEMS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
February 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
Not me. I have a 2nd generation PT-145 (DAO, 3-dot sights, short accessory rail.) All mags work fine.

Hypnogator
February 9, 2007, 12:33 AM
When mine (1st Generation Millennium Pro) was brand new, I would get failures to fully go to battery on about the third round. Don't know whether this was caused by the magazine, or just that the pistol needed breaking in. After the first range trip, I got some Brian Enos' Slide Glide and lightly coated the rails. Immediate end of problem.

Now it'll feed anything I've put through it, even completely dry. :cool:

Another issue: I got a couple Taurus mags from CTD for spares, and one of them has recently developed a tendency to drop when firing. Don't know whether it's the magazine catch hole, or the catch in the weapon. I suspect the magazine is just a bit out of spec, as the other two fit and function fine.

fattsgalore
February 9, 2007, 02:01 AM
Amigo,

What generation is yours?

The Amigo
February 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure what generation mine is. All i Know is that it will shoot single and revert to double action and serial no # is nzg664854. Ill give a try to the lubrication tip but I'm suspecting there's some first generation mags that were just a bad batch out there. I'm visiting the range tomorrow with new mag to see. And yes that's the same problem i have it seems to ftf at around round 2-3.

Slinger
February 9, 2007, 01:46 PM
I had a MilPro 145. Failure to feed was a constant problem with it from day 1. I don't know if it was the mags that caused the problem.

MrTuffPaws
February 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
MilPro PT145 and no issues here with mags or gun.

Roccobro
February 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
MIl Pro with no problems with FTF or anything. Well, if don't you consider having a hard time find OE spare mags to buy! :)

Justin

Florida_Cracker
February 12, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm having terrible FTF problems with JHP on my new PT-145.

Fired several hundred FMJs with no problem, but when I switched to JHPs in anticipation of making the PT-145 my carry gun problems commenced. I tried feeding it several brands of JHPs, but none would feed consistently.

The first and second round of a magazine nosedives into the feed ramp causing a failure to feed with both of the magazines.

I'm sending the gun back to Taurus today. I really liked how it fired and was looking forward to carrying it, but now . . . we will just see what Miami can do.

Katana8869
February 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
Mine was a 3rd generation maodel. It was fine at first, but then one of the magazines started hanging up on the front of the magazine on the 2nd and 3rd round. If it did chamber, I was getting some SERIOUS bullet set back.

I called Taurus and they made me write a letter explaining the situation and then they sent me a new magazine. I also developed the same problem with on of the spare magazines I purchased for the gun.

The malfuntions occured with WWB JHP and FMJ. Then it did it with Blazer brass. At that point the PT145 and I reached our last straw.

When I'm paying 35 bucks for OEM magazines, they had better work.

I talked with my local gunshop about the problems and ended up trading it in the store for a Glock 30 last week.

I really hated to see it turn out that way. I liked the little beast otherwise, even though I never truly got the "feel" for the trigger on it.

mpmarty
February 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
My PT145 is prone to occasionally nosedive the top round in the mag into the frame below the barrel ramp but only with WWB or Remington 230gr ball ammo. Reading the owners manual you will learn that Taurus advises NOT TO USE any 230 gr. ammo in this weapon. Using the Taurus 185 gr. solid copper (Barnes) ammo the gun is absolutely 100% reliable in every way. It's kinda like my car, if I buy cheap 87 octane gas it doesn't run very well but on Chevron supreme 92+ octane it runs like a thoroughbred. :D

Katana8869
February 13, 2007, 04:52 PM
My Chevy Silverado runs fine on whatever I put in it. My carry gun should too. :D

I understand what your saying, but respectfully, I think that a defensive pistol should be counted on to run on whatever ammunition is at hand, not just the high dollar or OEM stuff.

Plus 230gr is the standard weight that the .45 was built around. A .45 that won't run on it is questionable IMHO. If I remember correctly though, the manual that came with my 3rd Generation Mil-Pro recommended 230gr standard velocity FMJ, however I have heard that Taurus recommended a lighter bullet in some of the earlier models.

Regards

Mike

Florida_Cracker
February 14, 2007, 07:25 AM
Marty,

Sounds like you have experienced almost exactly the OPPOSITE of what I did.

I had the nosedives only with JHPs and experienced no problems with any of the FMJs I used.

It will be interesting to see what I have when the gun is returned from Taurus.

I can only hope that it will actually be fixed and can eventually become a trusted CC gun. Afterall, that is why I bought it.

wally
February 14, 2007, 08:03 AM
IF a magazine was feeding and then stops, first thing you should do is take it apart and clean it. If that fails www.gunsprings.com will probably have a stronger replacement spring to cure the problem. ALL my Para Ordnance mags would be useless junk (that make you Taurus mags look cheap!) without the Wolf extra power springs.

--wally.

Katana8869
February 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
+1 Wolff springs have fixed many a bad magazine. Unfortunately they don't seem to make them for the PT145. At least they are not listed on Wolff's website.

FWIW when I first started having my mag problems I broke all of them down and cleaned them out thoroughly. None of them were particularly dirty. Seeing that the feed problems came over time in my case, it most likely was a spring wear issue. But, 6 months is not very long for a spring's life. :(

I have seen it noted here and on other boards that Taurus does have weaker springs than some. In the older models this seemed to show up in light striker hits.

I hope the problem gets resolved for you guys. The Mil-Pro is loaded with good features and has great potential. I just got frustrated with mine.

Katana8869
February 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
I just happened to remember, won't the PT145 accept Para mags with some modification? Maybe a spring for a 10 round Para mag will work. As cheap as the Wolff springs are it may be worth a try! :)

The Amigo
February 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
Tried new mags, different ammo and still having problems. The 2nd or 3rd round seems to nose dive and lock the gun. I have disassembled, cleaned and lubed the inners. It seems the spring in these mags loose tension during mid travel somehow once you clear the 2/3rd round the spring push seems to get better and work. Tried extending the spring on one and still no joy:mad: I'm sending it back to taurus to see. Hope they correct since this is a comfortable gun 4 me to carry.

scrabby
April 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hi all. I know I'm late to this thread but has anybody who sent thier pistol in for repair recieved them back? And were they fixed? I'm having misfeeds like theres no tomorrow on my third gen PT145 nosedives right below the chamber ALOT. With 230 gr FMJ its about 70% less with JHP about 25 - 30%. It really looks like the clip isn't holding the bullet at the correct angle to push it in the chamber. But thats just my observation. I have to say I like the feel of the gun and its accurate. But a gun that misfeeds the way this one does is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed on the market.

Florida_Cracker
April 15, 2007, 06:16 PM
Scrappy,

I sent my gun back on February 12. It is now April 15 and I still don't have it back.

I sure hope that it's fixed when it is returned. Mine fed FMJs fine, but would not reliably feed JHPs.

I only had the gun for about a month when I sent it back. It has been back to Taurus for 2 months now.

Taurus has already lost some business from me. I was very close to buying a PT1911, but in the midst of this experience I recently purchased an Armscor FS Enchanced that has everything the PT1911 has and more. I am very pleased with that purchase.

I was also looking closely at a PT92, but will probably buy a CZ-75B tomorrow instead.

I will let you know how my PT-145 feeds when (if) I get it back.

Greg

jeepmor
April 16, 2007, 09:33 AM
My PT145 eats like a teenage boy.....everything. I've been truly amazed at it's reliabilty. It's a 3rd generation with DAO. FWIW, the PT111 runs great too. I have the nosedive issues with my Witness 10mm, but this little 45 has had at least 10 different ammo brands through it with JHP from Hornady 185 and 230, Sierra 230s, Speer Gold dot 230s, UMC ball 230, Winchester silvertips, Double Tap, and a few flavors of hardcast handloads through it. And they all ran great. I have no hesitation carrying either gun for CCW in the case of these two.

I guess I'm lucky, I've seen this thing outpace kimbers and sigs for reliability several times at the range. Between the PT145 and PT111, I have become a loyal Taurus fan. These are both their 3rd generation models and that may be the difference, but I'm not sure. I'm no expert, but these two run like champs. Hope yours does too. But like everything, some things are manufactured and sent out the door 10 minutes before someones vacation starts, early on Mondays, late on Fridays, or even when some worker has a raging hangover from staying out too late out at the nudy bar with his buddies. And it seems to happen at every manufacturer under the sun, and not just the arms guys. Cars can be the same way.

Florida_Cracker
April 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
Jeepmor,

Glad you've have a good experience.

Me . . . not so much.

My PT-145 was a brand new 3rd generation . . . hopefully Taurus will make me happy . . . someday.

msimonds
April 16, 2007, 10:15 AM
I have a 3rd gen PT145 and I have put all kinds of ammo through it. Never one problem what so ever. I am a loyal taurus owner now. I just recently purchased the PT1911 > and you wanna talk about an OUTSTANDING auto!!!

scrabby
April 16, 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure mine is 3rd gen. It is brand new less than a couple of weeks old. It has millennium on one side and pt145 pro on the other. I understand thats how you tell the difference, might be wrong though. I'm happy everyone else is having good luck with thiers but I'm not so lucky maybe I just have a lemon. I cleaned it again and used some Slide Glide this time(read that might be the answer) and it did actually help some. I went through another 100 rounds and I was able to get through 30 rounds straight without a misfeed. But then true to its nature I had 5 in a row that nosedived on me:banghead: Looks like its back to the dealer and off to Miami for repair. I was hoping someone had sent one back that could tell me after getting it back it worked perfectly and give me a warm fuzzy.....But looks like thats not going to happen.:(

03Shadowbob
April 16, 2007, 09:27 PM
Scrappy,
You can not go wrong with the PT92. I have not read or at least can not remember ever reading anything bad about the PT92. It will be the best $330 you have spent. I have had mine for 8 years and it has been flawless. Many many others will agree with me on this.

Florida_Cracker
April 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Update on my PT-145.

Sent my PT-145 back to Taurus on Feb. 12 (via my dealer). It would not reliably feed any of several different varieties of JHPs. See my earlier posts if interested in details.

It was returned by Taurus to my dealer on April 24th. Roughly 2.5 months.

They claimed to have replaced magazines and reshaped the feed ramp. It was obvious that the feed ramp had been worked on because what was previously a mirrored finish now clearly sported some tooling marks.

The gun was improved, but not 100%. The first night I fired approximately 100 rounds and experienced two failures to feed. That evening I polished the ramp myself, since it was evidently beyond the capability or the inclination of the repair facility.

They next morning I fired some 50 rounds with no misfeeds.

The following morning I experienced two more failures to feed, one with a JHP and one with a FMJ. This was my first failure to feed with an FMJ. The round did not nose dive into the ramp, but simply was not stripped from the magazine.

Bottom line. The gun was kept by Taurus for what I consider to be an excessive period of time. Though improved somewhat, it was not fixed. I cannot have any confidence in this pistol as a carry gun. It's back to discussions with my dealer, who as been most helpful.

rcellis
April 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
As I recall, the 'Z' in the second position means it's a 3rd Gen gun. Of course a call to Taurus will give you the month (and perhaps day) of manufacture.

The Amigo
April 28, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well guys im suspecting Taurus has a problem with my type of PT 145. I sent my gun in early Feb and after 2 months started calling to see if any progress was done well 7 calls have been made and my last 3 calls i was told the gun had been finished and was just awaiting to be shipped.. this was a month ago

I called yesterday and got the same answer. Finally i called today pretty ticked off and was told by the gentleman he was going to talk to the supervisor to see why the gun has been waiting to be shipped for a month and that he would call me right away with some info well never received the call...

I think some guns made it to the street with this problem and Taurus is trying to figure out how to fix it or is it just plain suck arse warranty department im to the point of telling them to destroy the gun and keep it. Since im pretty pissed.

GW
April 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles

My PT145 is a champ Several hundred rounds through it and all have fed without trouble ball and HP \. Had a couple hard primer issues I related in an earlier thread but none since then.
Good luck with your gun

The Amigo
May 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
I decided to call Taurus today and check this out the nice lady who took my call indicated that the gun was out of repair but had not been shipped out yet for some reason. This I was told for the 3 time within a month.

I told the lady nicely that this was my 5th time I've called within this month and that my gun had been residing with them 4 months now. She said she would call me back like the last 3 that told me that:fire: and my response was Ma'am if I don't get a call back today you needles to say since i was pissed and today was payday I decided to go to my gun shop and buy something else while giving my dealer some crap for selling me the gun.

So I show up and he says oh you here for your gun? And I was like yeah I Just called and they haven't even shipped it and gave me this BS story for the 3rd time. My dealer is like :confused: and stated the gun has been here like for a week im like you sure that's my gun? And sure as hell it was. Needles to say I never received the call back from Taurus and im wondering if they even now they shipped it out or maybe their under the impression that its lost and haven't had the heart to tell me:scrutiny: Ill be testing it tomorrow to see how it shoots will keep ya posted

longhorngunman
May 2, 2007, 12:40 AM
FC, sorry to hear about your continued troubles. I'm in the same boat as some of the rest of you. Bought a PT145, couldn't get it to feed through three rounds straight before a jam. Sent it to Taurus two months ago and the lady I called the other day said "probably two more weeks":rolleyes: . If it finally gets back and is reliable through hundreds of rounds I'll use it for CCW, if not I'm selling it and buying a G30 like I probably should have done in the first place. To bad too, because the PT145 has a lot of promise going for it.

Florida_Cracker
May 2, 2007, 07:31 AM
Took my PT-145 to my dealer again on Monday. She said she was going to send it to Taurus and demand a NEW GUN. Then she would put that new gun on the shelf and either give me a credit or my money back.

Sometimes it pays to spend a bit more and purchase from a "full service" dealer. I think she sells enough guns that Taurus will acquiesce to her demands. I will be out from under this gun that bears the logo of a bull, but might more appropriately bear the logo of bull exhaust.

I'm glad that some of you have had good experiences with Taurus, but I gave it a try and I've learned my lesson. I'm not much of a gambler, I guess.

longhorngunman
May 2, 2007, 08:24 AM
Good to hear your being taken care of. FWIW I also own a PT1911 and it has been fabulous. Great 1911 for the money, in fact that's why I felt OK to go and buy the PT145. Too bad it's not made with the same care and detail as their 1911's.

jeepmor
May 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
One thing I don't like about these guns is the magazines. They are not built to be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned. I'm completely guessing here and it may have nothing to do with your issue, but here goes.

There may be a powder residue buildup on the inside of the feed lips and on your follower that creates just enough interference that it makes the follower have a touch too much drag on it when pushing your rounds up. I have taken mine and used something like a paint stir stick or similar and wrapped a hoppes soaked cloth around the end and pushed the follower down and scrubbed the sides of the feed lips as best I could. I was pretty liberal with the hoppes figuring the excess would drip down and remove some residue on the follower that I could not reach.

I understand the frustation you are experiencing as you could swap Taurus for Witness and be describing my 10mm gun from EAA. On the bright side, I've read more horror stories about EAA's customer service than Taurus.

I hope this helps.

bigmike45
May 2, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have been carrying my 2nd Generation PT-145 for a couple of years now and have over 4000 rounds of full house 230gr FMJ, JHP's, & handloads. I have never experienced any kind of malfunction as of this writing. It is like the proverbial Timex watch....takes a licking & keeps on ticking. I have also owned several Taurus revolvers, that I have had great luck with. I like Taurus so much that when my son wanted his first 1911, I bought him the Taurus PT-1911. He now has over 800 rounds through it and no problems as of this writing. I like the Taurus products.:D

WeThePeople
May 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
My PT145Pro completely failed on me after only 89 rounds. It has been at Taurus since March 27, 2007. It took them two weeks just to get it "checked-in." It has been sitting there without any work having yet been done. They don't know how long it will take but they estimate 5-6 weeks from the time of check-in. At this point, Taurus has had it for much longer than I have.

By the way, I didn't have any misfeeding issues. My recoil spring assembly jammed itself, spring included, through the front of the slide.

If I can get ~200 rounds through it, I MIGHT consider carrying it again. Otherwise, I'm thinking a compact HK USP .45!!!

ZeSpectre
May 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
My
friend has a PT-145 and learned at least one important lesson. DO NOT USE +P AMMO. His crammed the spring right through the front slide hole after he did that.

WeThePeople
May 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
My friend has a PT-145 and learned at least one important lesson. DO NOT USE +P AMMO. His crammed the spring right through the front slide hole after he did that.

What was the outcome? Did Taurus fix it? How long did it take?

I wasn't using +P and had the same problem. See my post immediately above yours.

scrabby
May 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
Florida_Cracker good luck I hope that works out for you. I tried everything I could before sending it back with no luck. I guess some of us just ended up with lemons while others got the perfect little CCW. When I get mine back I'll put another couple of hundres rounds through and see what happens. If it still misfeeds though I might see if my dealer will do the same. Never hurts to ask all they can do is say no. ;)

ZeSpectre
May 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
What was the outcome? Did Taurus fix it? How long did it take?

I wasn't using +P and had the same problem. See my post immediately above yours.

I believe Taurus has it now. If you want it straight from the horse's mouth ask TinyGnat219

DawgFvr
May 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well...looks like you have a problem...send it in again. There is a life time warranty. If you are like most of us on here...you have a multitude of weapons; so what the hey, send it off and get it fixed right. I must be lucky...my second generation is just an awesome little gun. I sold my Colt...my Glock and now carry this little pocket cannon. I could not be more happier.;)

tinygnat219
May 2, 2007, 02:58 PM
This is in response to Zespectre's earlier post. I have a Taurus Milennium Pro PT 145. I shot some +P through it. DON'T DO IT! The gun is not rated for +P ammo and will cause the front of the recoil spring in the recoil guide spring assembly to start mushrooming and coming over the guide spring rod. I didn't ship it to Taurus, it's sitting disassembled on top of my safe. When calling, I stated that I didn't think it needed to be shipped to them for 40 bucks out of my pocket, only to languish in their system for months on end to be returned questionably fixed and I would be charged for the labor since I had admitted firing +P ammo from it. The lady on the other end of the phone was in good spirits, and when I said I would pay for the new part, it was a simple quote and I am good to go.

I ordered the part from Taurus instead and was told that it was on backorder (does this mean something bad about this pistol? probably, hopefully not). I was told that it would take 2-3 weeks to get a 7 dollar part out to me. Ok, not that big a deal.

The Amigo
May 2, 2007, 09:46 PM
Visited range after receiving gun from warranty and shot 6 mags all having the same problem even with different ammo. Needles to say I give up. I talked to the dealer and he was willing to send back to warranty (another 4 months:barf: ) or give me $400 bucks Ive cleaned the gun today and im considering getting the $ offered by the dealer tomorrow to invest in a diff gun.

tinygnat219
May 3, 2007, 12:54 AM
That's a nice dealer. Stay with him.

longhorngunman
May 3, 2007, 01:18 AM
If you can get $400 for it then go for it! Ya'll definetly ain't getting my hopes up for when mine gets back. Oh well, I guess I might as well start pricing G30's now!:D BTW I thought it said in my owner's manual that +P was allowed just not a large dose of it. I will give Taurus one thing, that Hex Copper bullet load they sell is a fine loading. In my testing I couldn't ever get the bullet to fail to expand. And it's much cheaper than Corbon's version the DPX.

gudel
May 3, 2007, 02:05 AM
by now you probably realized $400 money NOT well spent.
trade it in.

E357
May 3, 2007, 02:44 AM
I'm another unlucky 3rd gen PT-145 former owner. I think the design is at fault, the feed "ramp" is more of a wall than a ramp and mags that seem to be questionable. That being said there are plenty of happy taurus 145 owners around. This was a very nice gun when it functioned - low recoil etc. I took my loss and traded it in for a "Block" - I'm not looking back. I have a few other Tauri that function perfectly.

Elliot

denfoote
May 3, 2007, 03:11 AM
Any of the old timers from The Firing Line will remember my experience with the PT-145!!!

I'm not gonna go into it now, but anybody that's interested can go there and do a search under my name (It's the same) and PT-145. It should still give you the sad sordid tale!!

I rid myself of that POS, bought a Glock 36, and never looked back!!

Mi Amigo, you should do likewise!!

torpid
May 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
Some folks just have bad luck with their mil pros being inherently a POS.

Wish yours wasn't a lemon, and that Taurus customer service was much better for you.
That's a shame.

True horror stories aside however, I have 2 different generation Mil pros that really have worked great with 7 factory mags, so if you do get good one, it's fantastic little gun that I'd trust with my life.

DawgFvr
May 3, 2007, 07:35 PM
denfoote: The old PT145 is not the new Millennium Pro PT145. You might as well be comparing the old Model T to a new Ford truck. Yes, it is surprising. I for one, sold my block for my 2nd generation Taurus and, "Never looked back". :rolleyes:

torpid
May 3, 2007, 07:42 PM
In denfoote's defense (as much as he does like to post about his woes with the PT-145 millennium :p ) these folks have the latest model of the mil pro, and are having (different) problems with their guns and Taurus customer service.

I love mine, and I'm sure they wish they could love theirs.

Kamicosmos
May 3, 2007, 08:57 PM
I have only experienced light strikes with my MilPro 145. I think it might be a newer one, it has the light rail on it. Not 100% about what generation it is. Anyway, no feeding problems, just light strikes. A friend of mine seems to have fixed that for me though, it has fired a couple hundred rounds now with no problems, variety of primers. So, I'm about ready to start carrying it.

longhorngunman
May 4, 2007, 12:08 AM
Well I got my PT145 back today from Taurus after only 2.5 months.:neener: I can't tell they did anything to it besides slobbering it in oil, no note of repairs either. I'll take it out this weekend and see if I've fallen back in love or if I'm selling it for a Block 30:D . While handling it I remember why I bought it though, great grip for a small gun, like the Heinie sights, good capacity of .45acp for such a small gun, and the single action trigger really ain't bad at all, in fact it's pretty light in double action too (this is a third-gen model), and oh yes, it was very cheap. I'm glad to hear of those of you with good PT145's, I hope mine is like that now too, but if it isn't I'm just not going to invest any more of my time in this particular model.

DawgFvr
May 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
Kamicosmos: I too, have had light strikes on my DAO, 2nd generation with "very hard" primer" Winchester White Box. This was cheap Walmart ammo...I no longer use it of course and have had no problems with decent ammo. Now...I just feed it ammo it likes. My carry ammo is Corbon DPX, which it loves. This is a very accurate 10 + 1 .45 ACP...it is my carry weapon. There are times, e.g., going to the Mall, walking the bad areas of the Seattle, going anywhere in Tacoma, where I take a 642 as my back-up.

torpid
May 4, 2007, 01:30 PM
What's strange is the variations in the guns Taurus is putting out. I shoot WWB almost exclusively with no problems in both generation mil pros (2nd & 3rd), though the primers in the WWB seem to give many others trouble in the newer models.

The Amigo
May 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
Gun is gone got some $$ for it from the dealer and placed an order for a Keltec PF9.

denfoote
May 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
In denfoote's defense (as much as he does like to post about his woes with the PT-145 millennium ) these folks have the latest model of the mil pro, and are having (different) problems with their guns and Taurus customer service.

I love mine, and I'm sure they wish they could love theirs.

I defense of those who sing the praises of the new and improved PT-145, I was JUST ABOUT to go and plop money down on another one!! The ergonomics of the gun are FANTASTIC!! The sights are the only ones I've ever found, right out of the box, such that my middle aged eyes could pick up the target instantaneously!!! :cool:

Then threads like this started showing up and I realized that the past DOES repeat itself!! :eek:

I retell my sad story of anguish and woe because those who cannot remember the past are condemed to repeat it!!! ;)

The Amigo
May 4, 2007, 07:59 PM
I agree the gun has the best attributes small 10+1 in .45 fit my hand perfect but wont go bang. Maybe in the future after all the bugs are worked out who knows..

torpid
May 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
I defense of those who sing the praises of the new and improved PT-145, I was JUST ABOUT to go and plop money down on another one!!... I retell my sad story of anguish and woe because those who cannot remember the past are condemed to repeat it!!! ;)

But then again, maybe it would've worked as well as both of mine do! :D

It really is an awesome little gun if you manage to land one (or 2!) of the problem-free ones.

TGinAZ
May 5, 2007, 08:07 PM
Kamicosmos, you mentioned light strikes and that your friend fixed it. Can you find out from your friend what he did?

I send my PT145 3rd generation back to Taurus (as great expense, I must add) and they replaced the firing pin and spring and that "helped" with the problem. Now, instead of not firing one or two rounds out of five, it only misses one out of 100 or so. Totally unacceptable in a carry gun!

I've tried three different factory loads, two different handloads, and this does not appear to be a "hard primer" problem, this is definitely a light strike.

So I would be particularly interested in finding out what he did!

Thanks in advance!

JNG
May 6, 2007, 06:14 PM
I bought a brand new Taurus PT145 Pro today and experienced a slide catch problem after just 20 rounds…ugh. Anyways if you click on the link you can see my plight. I have tried re- sliding the slide and got the catch back into the proper place, but alas it returns to its present malfunctioning state every time. Please help!

Thanks!
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1420/tauruspt145prossproblemfq1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2628/tauruspt145prossproblemfe6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DawgFvr
May 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
That, my friend, is not a "slide catch" problem. The slide catch does not even move up that way...it is definitely broke. I saw you post this in another thread. The question was asked, "What did you do to cause this to happen?" You did not respond. I, too, am curious as to how this happened.

longhorngunman
May 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well I got some time to shoot my PT145 after it finally came back from Taurus where it's been for the last 2.5 months. It functions a lot better now, put 150 some odd rounds through it Saturday and Sunday. Only thing that it still wants to choke on is Lead SWC bullet types. Would stovepipe about every 3 rounds with those. It does now eat HP's with aplomb, lots of 200gr Speer Gold Dots, 230gr Remington GS, Magtech 185gr HP's, Hornady 200gr TAP, also ran 230gr ball and 200gr flat point's with no problem. Decent accuracy and it really sokes up the recoil, no misfires because of weak striker strikes like some have reported. Only beef I really have with the gun now is that when shooting it rapid fire I have a tendency to hit the mag release, dropping the mag:eek: . If I consciously hold my right thumb higher it's no problem but I naturally find my thumg on the button.
Is there any extended aftermarket mag releases for these things or can a much stronger spring be installed? I'm liking the gun and it seems even though it took forever Taurus did a good job of fixing the gun, this thing will be useless to me for CCW unless I can fix it so the mag doesn't fall out while shooting.

JNG
May 7, 2007, 03:44 PM
Sorry about not responding sooner as I was in the midst of exams. “No, I’m not one of the crazy college kids either…..I know what some of you guy were thinking..lol” anyways..I have sent the gun back to Taurus today through my local gun shop. The slide catch broke after firing just 20 rounds the day I bought it! It "was" a brand new gun.... I will keep you guys updated on how long this repair takes. The gun shop owner informed me that it will take at least a month and half minimum with Taurus in order to get it repaired…. I’m not exactly a happy customer at the moment due to my concealed permit class being 3 weeks away!

Thanks for the help,
JNG

If you enjoyed reading about "TAURUS PT 145 PROBLEMS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!