What a TOTAL "idiot"

PDA

redneck2
January 6, 2003, 05:32 PM
Just got my new "Handloader" today. Looking thru, excited as usual

pp. 60...article titled "Safe Handloading Procedures"

shows Brian Pierce loading...no safety glasses

over-reacting...or does Mr Pierce need a brain transplant???

I cannot believe...

that he would do this to start with

that the editors would miss it

that is would show in an article about safety

If you enjoyed reading about "What a TOTAL "idiot"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larryw
January 6, 2003, 06:03 PM
They must be checking to see if anyone is paying attention. Kinda like that ad in the back of G&A where the guy is teaching the lady how to shoot cup and saucer style. :rolleyes:

Flash Hole
January 6, 2003, 06:13 PM
See this kind of thing all the time.
Pictures of gun writers at the range without eye or ear protection, dont know if they are just posing or if they really are
brain dead.

JOHN

dfrog
January 6, 2003, 08:41 PM
Do as I say, not as I do.

Sisco
January 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
I've been called on this a couple of times when posting a photo of myself or someone else at the range. Usually the photos are 'posed' and we don't have all our safety gear on.

Peter M. Eick
January 6, 2003, 10:12 PM
Redneck2,

I know brian has a style but for whatever reason his writing just rubs me the wrong way. I have taken to just ignoring anything he does, but man is he prolific. It is hard to find a mag that he does not have something published in.

As my pappy used to say "ignorance is a virtue"

cheygriz
January 7, 2003, 12:43 AM
Peter,

You've taken a step in the right direction. I've quit reading the gun rags altogether.

Between Pearce, Boddington, Clapp, Cooper and a few others, there's just so much B.S. that I can't stomach it anymore.

redneck2
January 7, 2003, 05:58 AM
Handloader has been real good. Guys there are hunters and shooters first and writers second.

I'd agree about the other writers...Clair Rees...always has his rifle "port-of-arms", staring off into the distance (note that he's always facing to the right...must be his good side), that proceeds the endless bull-puckey

and, it must be impossible for Cooper to write anything without talking about that damned "scout rifle concept"

that's why I stopped getting everything except Handloader. If it wasn't for Ross Seyfried and Barsness, I'd drop that too

cheygriz
January 7, 2003, 11:52 AM
redneck2,

AMEM, my friend!

Because of Seyfried, I ocasionally buy a copy of Handloader. But that's the only one.

WESHOOT2
January 7, 2003, 09:22 PM
Because of RS I keep buying AH.

Peter M. Eick
January 7, 2003, 09:35 PM
The trouble with handloader (which is the only one I subscribe to) is that Brian has overrun the thing over the last 6 months to a year. Can't he please just stop writing so much.

Sleeping Dog
January 11, 2003, 05:29 PM
I'd guess some reloading steps are fairly safe, with or without glasses. I don't always wear glasses if I'm just decapping or full-length sizing. It seems like more of a concern when priming and loading.

Bill Adair
January 11, 2003, 09:06 PM
When reading most anything, I take it with a grain of salt, believe only half of what I see, accept little as fact, etc, etc. :D

If the information has not been published by multiple sources, and developed under controlled laboratory conditions, it is purely personal experience, nothing more.

Personal experience can be only as reliable as it's provider, who in turn, is only as true as his beliefs, and biases.

In spite of my MO attitude, I do learn things every day, and some of the more prolific writers (even those who become boringly predictable), still drop some interesting tidbits from time to time.

As long as I remember that they are paid to write entertaining material, and promote manufacturers who advertise in those publications, it's pretty easy to take them lightly. :)

Getting multiple opinions is always the best idea, and probably why many of us frequent these forums. Great places to compare notes, eh?

Bill

BigG
January 11, 2003, 09:33 PM
I haven't subscribed to a gunzine in at least five years for the very reason that the writers are so poor and the editing misses dozens of mistakes per issue. I do get the NRAzine but that has gone down as well. Get a few classic gun books by O'Connor, Keith, Hatcher, Col. Chas Askins, and so on. You will thank yourself once you've seen the difference. :p

WESHOOT2
January 12, 2003, 11:28 AM
I just read where (at least) one of us doesn't wear glasses for certain procedures.

Parts break, 22LR rounds get caught inside cases, springs let go, primers get ejected with considerable force, yada yada yada............

IF YOU TOUCH anything other than books, suggest wearing glasses.
Only one set of eyes.
:what: :what: :what:

cheygriz
January 14, 2003, 12:15 AM
BigG,

Good advice on the books. But don't forget P.O. Ackleys' two book set: Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders. This set is IMHO, THE classic.

If you enjoyed reading about "What a TOTAL "idiot"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!