Animals deserve compassion too - article in local paper

PDA

MissedAgain
February 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
I would call and cancel this subscription...but is just shows up in the mailbox every week...free.

Stafford used to be such a nice place to live...sigh....

PS - Tried to find the article on-line with no success. Spelling errors are probably my fault!

Stafford County Sun
February 9-15, 2007

Viewpoint

Animals deserve compassion too

Wreck shouldn’t lead to deer dinner

On a recent cold, clear night I headed from Prince William County to Stafford by way of U.S. 1. I just left a birthday party for my dad, and driving through Dumfries, came upon a car stopped abruptly in the roadway.

I saw no reason why it would have stopped, and when I turned the wheel to slowly drive around as another vehicle did, the car in question suddenly backed into me, smashing the right front side of my car.

Apparently the driver had hit a deer a minute or so prior, and was likely disoriented. According to a witness who stopped, two deer had attempted to cross the road when the car collided with the second deer.

I looked back, at first unable to see anything in the roadway, but soon it was clear.

The deer had died.

A fire engine arrived and emergency workers blocked off part of the road. In the distance, I saw them pull the deer to the side of the road. No one else was hurt.

Upset, I fixated on the deer and felt horrible that the accident ended its life.

I looked at my car, which was thankfully still drivable, and has since been repaired.

Nearby, a man and several school-age children lingered, checking out the accident scene. I heard him ask if he could have the deer carcass.

What?!

I was happy to hear the response: “No, animal control will take care of it.”
Undeterred, the man lurked around as the Dumfries Police Department took an accident report.

He posed his question to the police, and this time the answer was different. He was, quite surprisingly, allowed to take the deer home for dinner.

Horrified, I questioned why this would be allowed to happen. I wanted to know if this was a normal occurrence, if there is a policy on such a thing and whether or not I was the only one disgusted.

“Billy Bob”, as I’ll call him, had no vehicle in sight. Instead, he picked the deer up, flung it over his shoulder and walked into an adjacent neighborhood. I imagined him kicking open his front door, while calling, “Honey, I’m home and I brought dinner!” His wife would emerge, I thought, only to see him standing in the doorway with a blood-stained carcass.

I would be surprised if there are any dinner guests out there who would look forward to eating food just hit by a Toyota Corolla. Last time I checked we were living in the year 2007 and not on the prairie with Laura, Pa and Mary. We even have grocery stores.

I highly doubt the carcass grabber was poor, had no food or was struggling to survive until a stroke of good luck hit him in the form of a dead deer. Also, the argument that a person is making good use of the meat since the animal is already dead, is ridiculous.

I suppose a man who believes that also won’t mind if upon his own death, sandwich meat is made from his body. Why should the way we treat animals be so very different from how people are regarded?
Author Jean Paul Richter once asked, “Because the heart beats under a covering of hair, fur, feather or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account?”

I listened as an officer explained that when deer are killed on roadways, it’s not uncommon for authorities to allow people to take home the carcasses. Most of the time, the deer are thrown in dumpsters anyway, he said. People even lie in wait listening to police scanners.

Regarding Billy Bob, the officer told me I should be happy to see him carrying the deer instead of dragging it. To me, the animal was ending up on a dinner table and that was what was really wrong with this picture.
For the record, I don’t eat meat. It wasn’t always that way; in fact, for most of my life I did. Still, my reaction would’ve been the same as a meat-eater.

Later, I verified in Dumfries, Prince William County as a whole and Stafford, that removing dead animals like deer from the roads is mainly the responsibility of the Virginia Department of Transportation.
VDOT spokesman Tina Bundy said that with limited resources, the department wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to remove them. A call to Animal Control in Stafford confirmed it would be OK here too.

Remove? OK. Remove for a snack? There’s a big difference.

It comes down to compassion. Animals, even upon accidental death, should be treated humanely.

And death on purpose? That’s another anti-hunting column in itself.
As artist Pierre Troubetzkoy said, “Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by what is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?”

Tracy Bell is a staff writer with the Stafford County Sun. Contact her at tbell@staffordcountysun.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Animals deserve compassion too - article in local paper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jlbraun
February 10, 2007, 06:05 PM
Tracy,

Thanks for writing you article entitled "Animals deserve compassion too". I, too, am appalled that someone would ask for the carcass of a deer killed by a car. Why, my county has a group of people that work with the county in winter to process freshly roadkilled deer for meat in order to give it away to the poor. The fact that they do this on their own time and don't even eat the meat - rather, they give it away to needy families - indicates that these barbarians must think it's fun to cut up dead animals. How demonic!

I would much prefer that a deer be respectfully thrown in a dumpster to rot instead of being used to feed the needy. It makes me glad to know that you feel the same way.

Thanks,

jlbraun

Jrsmith
February 10, 2007, 06:43 PM
I have compassion for animals such as deer... it's called a 'kill shot'.

nuff said.

Art Eatman
February 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
"Waste not, want not."

Excellent letter, jl.

Invite her down to the Roadkill Roadhouse Cafe. Pontiacked Possum pate'. Roadster rack of Raccoon. "Horse-doovers" du Cheval Chevrolet. Dogburger d'Dodge.

:), Art

wolf_from_wv
February 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
I don't remember if WV passed the bill giving the driver of the car that option...

==============================

It's already been "grilled"...

Lupinus
February 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
of course it is barbaric

it should be taken to a hill somewhere, where the sun will shine bright on its grave. With flowers all around, birds singing in the air, freshly fallen acorns across the ground....

oh who we kidding, kill um and grill um.

Kingcreek
February 10, 2007, 07:20 PM
Great letter jlb.
I'm willing to bet that Tracy's ancesters ate meat. Go back a couple generations and I'll bet they even killed it and dragged it home.
People like Tracy Bell just don't get it. Probably never will, no matter how many letters they get.

DogBonz
February 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
For the record, I don’t eat meat.

MCgunner
February 10, 2007, 07:47 PM
I guess it's better to let the meat rot and go to waste?:rolleyes: Well, I reckon the vultures and coyotes and bobcats need to eat, but if I bang up my van on a deer, by golly I'm at LEAST gettin' some blasted sausage out of it! The game wardens are supposed to get it in Texas, if they know about it. I don't think they need the meat as bad as I do, they make more money'n me.

busy_squirrel
February 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
I reread it and still didn't find where the driver ever declared what his intentions for the carcass were.

Another hyper-emotion activist jumping to conclusions....

billp
February 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
I shot rock chucks in se washington [near pullman] with a remington 788 .22-250 using 52 gr speer hp.

Frequently, not occassionally, first shot would not kill rock chuck.

Once I heard one scream. Not good.

So I discontinued use of .22-250 and used 30-06 with 130 gr speer hp.

Kill on first shot.

Atticus
February 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
As they say, "you are what you eat". It's obvious that she eats only fruits and vegetables.

DWARREN123
February 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
Treat animals like humans and humans like animals. Stupid people.
Why waste a animal that some one could use as food? Idiots.

Kingcreek
February 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
As they say, "you are what you eat". It's obvious that she eats only fruits and vegetables.

You forgot nuts.

Sorry to go OT, but...
I have yet to meet a healthy vegetarian. The low protein and generally incomplete amino acids, coupled with the usually high carb, junky food leaves them angry and frustrated, with low labido, thin brittle hair and nails, and poor skin color.
I feel more pity for them than I do the deer.
Maybe I should write her a letter also.

Lupinus
February 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
vegitarians don't bother me, heck I have gone weeks without eating meat before. It is the angry ZOMG YOU ATE A COW :what: types that annoy me.

And vegans (eat no animals or animal products like milk butter cheese and eggs)

I never understood how the microscopic animals living on a vegans salad don't count

Also I could never understand vegitarians who eat fish. I mean really, fish are animals.

razorburn
February 11, 2007, 01:52 AM
Well.... I wouldn't eat it, not because of any moral qualms, but because I think it's gross to eat roadkill. But this vegetarian is just one of the far out wack jobs. Treated humanely? How is it inhumane to eat a dead animal?

BTW billp, where do you go to shoot around pullman? There seems to be a lack of public land around here.

Kingcreek
February 11, 2007, 09:37 AM
OT again, but if a 22-250 doesn't make a humane kill on a rockchuck, it ain't the rifle's fault.
Nuthin gross about eating roadkill as long as it isn't overly "road-tenderized".
A LEO friend of mine responded to a call where he found that a newlywed couple leaving thier reception for the honeymoon hit a fat tender yearling in the head with thier VW Jetta just as the deer walked out of the ditch and onto the road. Not a mark on the deer anywhere below the head. He called me and woke me up at 2am and offered me the roadkill since I lived nearby and the driver apparently did not want to claim the carcass. The newlyweds went on thier way with a broken headlight, I had tenderloin for breakfast!

piranha45
February 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
http://www.cronander.net/images/Saskatoon.jpg

mete
February 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
I propose this question to her .A car goes off the road into a corn field .Do you pick up the corn from the knocked down stalks and use it for food, leave it to rot or be eaten by the racoons, or do you give it a decent burial ????

svtruth
February 11, 2007, 10:06 AM
there is a state program in which rod and gun clubs can be on a salvage list for hit deer.

FieroCDSP
February 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
Also I could never understand vegitarians who eat fish. I mean really, fish are animals.

Fish isn't meat. It's seafood. :rolleyes:

I have never gone out hunting. I just don't think I'd like it. I would definitely kill a creature to survive in the woods, however, so don't think I'd rather be stupid and starving. I have no problem with someone carting off a freshly killed deer with a Ford tatoo, because presumably, that is going to be eaten. This article author is obviously not in touch with what real conservation is. I'd have brought up (in conversation, were it to happen) that anything big enough to want to eat the thing would have to go to the side of the road to get it, and likely get hit itself. Otherwise, it will get dumped somewhere by the DOT for compost, if it's lucky.

The Rifleman
February 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
Must have been some Yankee driver that wrote that article.

Up here and in West Virginia - road kill is considered a delicacy..

Who cares how it was killed? What did you think that the State was going to do - give it a funeral with a casket?

God put that deer on this earth to serve a purpose - that purpose was to feed his people. Ya you got grocery stores - where else you going to get the catsup to go along with the deer meat?

Yes there are people out there that are a little down on their luck and I know of many of them that I brought home road killed deer for and all I ever heard was thank you. They ate it all.

With the price of beef hitting $4 a pound here - you aren't going to see any road killed deer here along the road anytime in the next 3 months.

hankdatank1362
February 11, 2007, 02:33 PM
Well, I wouldn't eat it, but that's just because eating roadkill just sounds kinda gross in my mind. I know, logically, there's nothing wrong with it. (That, and I don't care for the taste of venison too much, unless it's jerky)

BTW, I am a hunter. Every time me or my dad kill a deer, we always give it the nice old lady that used to clean my gramma's house before she got too old. She would always bake us the most decadent 12-layer chocolate cake...OMG, it's the best cake you'll ever eat. Like 3 pounds of frosting!

Anyway, the point is that you never let anything go to waste when there's someone else out there who would use it!

Lupinus
February 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
as to disgusting it depends how the deeer was hit. If you smacked it in the head its chow time and you bet your nitty gritty that puppy is getting loaded up in the same car I just hit it with lol.

Now if it just about made it and I whacked it in the aft end of the body? Heck no with as much internal gut damage as that deer probably has it is staying right where it is.

EricTheBarbarian
February 11, 2007, 05:41 PM
a deer I have in my freezer right now was picked up off of the highway. I didnt hit it but it couldnt have been there for more than an hour or two. Well driving to hunt deer i didnt see it. then when i didnt get a deer hunting, driving to eat at waffle house it was laying right on the side of the road. I picked it up and then butchered it. My gf has never noticed the difference:D . Some pretty good meat, except for the one side that was all smashed in. probably a semi truck hit it and kept going.

Blackfork
February 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
The coyotes have to eat. The buzzards need grub. That said, I never would kill and leave a game animal, nor shoot one without the opportunity and means to deliver a quick lethal blow.

Raccoons and hogs I kill to move them out of the deer area or the garage are cut open so that the buzzards and scavengers can make quick work of them while they are fresh.

Be ethical. Be merciful. Keep in mind that where they go you will go yourself one day.

koja48
February 11, 2007, 09:31 PM
So do people. People are commemorated with a funeral. Animals (other than cherished pets, on occasion) are not afforded such consideration . . . they are wild creatures, whose drivers are: 1) where is the next meal coming from?, 2) who can I breed next?, #) 3) what predator is lurking around me? They are NOT Disneyland characters with 3 fingers, clothes, or human attributes, or any semblance thereof! Ma Nature is a cruel mistress. Providing the option as a food source is vastly preferable to waste. Not all Americans are so fortunate as to be able to afford a vegetarian or any other regular diet, and laws/programs geared to supplement such deficiencies are commendable. I wonder if the esteemed author wears makeup, uses prescription medications, or wears leather? I'm sure she slows down significantly whenever she sees "Deer Crossing" signs . . . or pauses for a moment of silence whenever she "debugs" her windshield in the summer? Perhaps she would be of better service promoting the cause that her office building, or her entire city be razed & the the land be restored to viable wildlife habitat . . . hypocrisy often surfaces when "beliefs" become inconvenient.

imprezagm4
February 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hilarious article, thanks for posting. I seriously thought it was satire, initially.

pax
February 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
People gotta eat, same as worms and vultures...

pax

skinnyguy
February 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
I agree that animals deserve compassion. I hope that the deer died quickly and did not suffer. That is how a hunter tries to take his game, quick and painless. That the deer did not go to waste is a good thing. When a human dies for no good reason, that is a loss. When an animal dies for no good reason, that is also a loss.

If a person wishes to be vegetarian/vegan/fruitarian or any other -an they want to be, that is all well and good, but I reserve the right to be carnivorous and eat my meat. I don't tell them if they don't eat meat they'll have bad things happen to them in an afterlife or the end of this one, and they have no right to tell me what to eat either.

EatBugs
February 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, that article was truely offensive, poorly written, and unproffesional. Who is the editor and why did he/she let that garbage be published. And I'm not saying this just because I hunt and eat meat. That article was just plain ol' offensive.

How is letting the deer rot in a dumpster more compasionate than makeing good use of it? Humans certainly wouldn't allow friends and family to rot in dumpsters. Humans respect their dead with burial and cremation or other rituals. The most respectful and compasionate thing I can think of is to not let the animals death be in vain. I hate seeing animals rotting or being turned into pancakes in the road. Its wasteful and they become just a vile nasty "thing" on the road instead of a living breathing animal. How is putrification more compasionate!?

.45Guy
February 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
A nice doe, shortly before being buried with full honors...:rolleyes:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/DOE.jpg

Surat
February 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
We usualy pick one up every year or two back home. . . My mom is quick to dress a deer out that's still fresh and not all smashed up. Momma does a damn fine job on 'em. Back in Minnesota I seems to recall all you have to do is call the DNR. . . of course we are also quick to eat any other perfectly good game that manages to off itself. for years we used to have grouse off themselves against the picture window in the livingroom. You'd hear a great big "BOOOOOOOONK" and there'd be a dead or mostly dead grouse in the flour bed. I remember grandma bringing one in, wringing it's neck & dressing it and us having grouse for dinner later that week. Good eating that.

While that editorial is pretty idiotic, it doesn't hold a patch on the mindless trash in our local rag.

BIGR
February 12, 2007, 05:48 PM
Quote:

As they say, "you are what you eat". It's obvious that she eats only fruits and vegetables. "

I bet her farts don't stink either. :what: So perfect and such a fine example of a human speciman. Where in the heck do these people come from? :fire:

kmrcstintn
February 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
I find myself taken aback by this article...I can understand the shock of someone who isn't a hunter or an outdoorsman or a farmer trying to deal with such an event and I also find myself perhaps doing the same thing as the guy who took the deer home; here in PA, a person can claim a roadkill by reporting it to the nearest regional Game Commission office within 24 hours; what gets my goat is that the same expectation could be applied to a legally hunted and killed game animal...I guess we are not suppossed to eat the deer or bear or squirrel or rabbit or duck or goose or hog or turkey or coydog or whatever we hunt; the other factor that seems to elude people is that all meat in the grocery stores had to come from living animals of one sort or another and that instead of an individual slaughtering his own animal, it's done on an assembly line nowadays for the vast masses that eat beef, turkey, chicken, pork, etc...

If you enjoyed reading about "Animals deserve compassion too - article in local paper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!