Loading 308 with theLee Pro Auto DisK

PDA

tkcomer
February 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'm trying to set the Lee Pro Auto Disk up to load 308 with the 168gr Sierra Matchking and Winchester 760 powder. The max setting for the Pro with the double disc only allows 44.5grs of powder. So I came up with a combo that will allow 48.2grs of powder, but I have to charge twice. Not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems to be very consistent and the charge of 48.2grs is well below the max of 49.2grs that is listed in the Sierra book. I haven't loaded anything yet, just trying figure out what disc combos I'll need for my various calibers. Does anybody else use a double charge for the larger cases?

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading 308 with theLee Pro Auto DisK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Don
February 11, 2007, 04:53 PM
To be honest, that's what I do. Doesn't work with a progressive, but on a turret, I simply divide the charge I want by 2 or three and then push the case into a rifle charging die the number it takes. I make sure that the visual level is consistant with one loaded by hand, but it has never let me down.

tkcomer
February 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks, glad to hear that. With the Lee Classic Turret, I can double charge without indexing the shell holder. It seems to be pretty consistent with that load. I just got this setup a few weeks ago. So far, I've only loaded the 223s. I had plenty of pistol rounds already loaded up, but I'll have to figure that powder out by hand. True Blue is not shown in their load tables. I'll have to wing that powder until I find the disk that I need. Of course my main concern is forgetting and throwing a single charge. I'll just have to be extra careful with the 308.

RustyFN
February 11, 2007, 06:29 PM
tkcomer, did you need the double disk to load 223 or could you do that with the single disk? Also do you know if the charge bar will open enough to load 223?
Rusty

SSN Vet
February 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
tripple disk??

I'm wondering why Lee hasn't offered a tripple disk set.

It seems to me that all it would take is a taller set of side wall lifts and a pair of longer screws.

tkcomer
February 11, 2007, 07:24 PM
I use the double disk for the 223. Right now I'm using Winchester 748 powder for that and this is what I've got: .95X.1.71 is 25.2grs. .88X88 is 25.9grs. .95X88 is 26.9grs. Those three cover the bullets I'm using, but when I run out of 748, I'm thinking of going to Tac. Then I'll have to start all over. Since I'm using Winchester powder for the 223, one disk won't do it. Lee lists a max of 24grs with the single disk and I'm finding their data is kinda light.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
tkcomer,

One thing you can do for a powder Lee doesn't list is to load it and throw it, then weigh it for each chamber in the disc. Then record the weights of the charges.

Dave

tkcomer
February 11, 2007, 09:49 PM
That's what I' m doing now. The chart doesn't seem to match up with the powders I'm using. It's kinda of hard to get it matched up, but once you find the right combo, it seems to be repeatable. I keep a list of all the combos I've tested. It's just once you have to go over a certain amount in rifle cases, the double stacked disks won't handle it. Hence the double charge. I'm getting a handle on it. This volume thing is new to me. Too many different combos. Black powder is a lot simpler when it comes to volume. Just stick the right size measure on the flask and go with it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 11, 2007, 10:22 PM
Here's another alternative to using the Pro Auto Disk for rifle, which I what I do. I bought a used RCBS Uniflow and use it in conjunction with a Hornady (though you can use RCBS as well) Case Activated Powder Drop (CAPD). This has worked well for me for rifle and the RCBS Uniflow rides on the Lee Classic Turret press very well. It's done very well for me when I have a charge larger than the Pro Auto Disk throws. I use my Pro Auto Disk on pistol cartridges.

Here's a pic:

http://www.zjstech.net/~ddixson/RCBSUniflowMountedToLeeClassicTurretPress%20001.jpg

This was BEFORE I adjusted the powder measure to a reasonable level. The measure is set to max and cleared just barely. When it was set back to 45 grains of 4895, it cleared the Safety Prime easily.

Regards,

Dave

Rod B
February 11, 2007, 11:26 PM
The auto disk was not designed for rifle loads. it should primarily be used for handgun ammo.

Suggest you try the Lee Perfect Powder measure for rifle charges, or as Dave mentioned the RCBS UniFlo.

I have both of these measures. The Lee does a fine job with extruded powders but with ball powders eg:WW748 it is a royal pain in the a$$.

The RCBS UnilFlo while I do experience some cutting with extruded powders is acceptable with just about any type of powder.

Just my .02:D

Rod.:)

bofe954
February 11, 2007, 11:30 PM
I am dealing with the same thing but with IMR 4895. I can't recall exact #'s right now but my manuals max is something like 44gr and I can get a little more than 42 out of the double disk.

I am just going to try it and see how it is. If the load works well and I save a few grains per cartridge then so be it, powder isn't free.

I would think that double charging would introduce more error, if the charge is off +0.1 grain the double throw woud give you +0.2. More likely the charge is off by some random amount every time you throw so sometimes a + error might even out a (-) error, sometimes a big + error might get reduced by a small (-) error...and so on..

tkcomer
February 12, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'm probably just going to remount the RCBS Uniflow. I'm not too keen on double charging the 308 and the 243 loads are not that adjustable unless I double charge on those cases. The 1.57X1.57 puts out 44.5grs of 760, which isn't bad as the max is 45.4grs for the 70gr Matchking. But if I want to back down a little, the next size combo down is the 1.57X1.46. That drops all the way back to 43grs of powder. Since I don't shoot the 308 or the 243 in that much volume, I'll just use the Auto-disk for the pistols and the 223. I'm not keen on remounting the Uniflow as the Lee press really gave me more room to work with in the tiny cubby hole I'm using. I doubt I'll go to the trouble to mount it on the press. I'll just come up with some wing nuts so I can take it on and off the table in a snap.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
"I'm not keen on remounting the Uniflow as the Lee press really gave me more room to work with in the tiny cubby hole I'm using. I doubt I'll go to the trouble to mount it on the press."

tkcomer,

I strongly urge you to reconsider mounting the Uniflow to the press with a Hornady or RCBS CAPD. I mounted mine this way and it works really well, is compact space wise and the press is comfortable with the Uniflow on top. Works great for case activated powder dispensing of rifle powders.

A bit more expensive initially to add the CAPD, but worth it and once you buy the CAPD, you can get the powder die bases for each turret cheaper than you can buy a Lee powder through die and a powder measure. Also, it's quicker to change over than the Lee powder measure is.

Regards,

Dave

tkcomer
February 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
I'll be honest. I haven't really used this setup yet very much. It's been too nasty out to burn up any ammo to put it to work. With rifle cases, I lube, size, decap, tumble, inspect and then I hand prime. Been doing that a long time. This thing looks to be a real time saver on the pistol calibers and the 223 since the Auto Disk will work with them. I'll probably use the Auto Prime on the 223. With the 308 and 243, I had planned to hand index them as I'm a little worried about the powder measure. Just use the Uniflow and seat the bullets like a single stage press. I don't crimp those rounds. Your setup looks great and I may go to it later. Just taking it slow right now until I get used to this setup. I plan on building a new table in the spring and then I might go to what you are using. What parts do I need to order to add this system to my press? Thanks again.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
tkcomer,

"What parts do I need to order to add this system to my press?"

If you have a Uniflow and you want to load rifle (I think using Lee dies and the Pro Auto Disk for pistol is a great plan, btw.), all you'll need is either a Hornady or RCBS case activated powder drop(CAPD). The Hornady is a bit cheaper, the RCBS a bit more expensive, both came with basically the same stuff. Idano tells me he likes the RCBS CAPD a bit better, since the pins have a tighter shoulder tolerance and it operates a bit smoother.

I don't know if the RCBS takes Hornady expander inserts or not, but you'll not need them for loading rifle and I don't use my CAPD and Uniflow to load pistol, so I don't think it's a consideration.

Here's a link to the Hornady CAPD:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=591344

Here's a link to the RCBS CAPD, they call it a case activated linkage kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=802477

Were I you, I think I'd go with the RCBS, since it's a bit tighter and smoother. Though I've been very happy using my Hornady CAPD on my Lee Classic Turret press for extruded powders and larger charges.

Regards,

Dave

Lone_Gunman
February 12, 2007, 10:23 PM
Dave,

I am just about to start loading my first significant number of 223 cartridges. I have loaded a few for a bolt action rifle and I just measured the powder by hand, but now that I am about to start loading a large number, obviously measuring each charge is out.

I have a Lee Classic Turret, and will be using Lee dies, and was going to use a Lee Rifle charging die along with my double disk Pro Auto-Disk for powder charging.

Why won't that work well?

Why would the RCBS be better?

If I get a RCBS Uniflow and the CAPD linkage, can I use that in my Lee Classic Turret?

Does the RCBS Uniflow screw directly into my press, or does it need a seperate die in between?

Do I need the micrometer adjustment screw?

Do I want the standard cylinder or small cylinder?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
Lone Gunman,

I have a Lee Classic Turret, and will be using Lee dies, and was going to use a Lee Rifle charging die along with my double disk Pro Auto-Disk for powder charging.

Why won't that work well?

Read the posts above, this question is answered there.

Why would the RCBS be better?

The reason why you would want to use the Uniflow is covered in the posts above.

If I get a RCBS Uniflow and the CAPD linkage, can I use that in my Lee Classic Turret?

This is covered in the posts and picture above.

Does the RCBS Uniflow screw directly into my press, or does it need a seperate die in between?

Look at the picture in the link of a pic I gave above. If you have and want to use the Safety Prime, you need to have enough height to clear the safety prime. If you want case activated powder drop with a Uniflow, you need a CAPD.

Do I need the micrometer adjustment screw?

Depends on how you want to use the powder measure and what kind of convenience you want. I have one for my Hornady LnL. I don't have one for my Uniflow.

Do I want the standard cylinder or small cylinder?

The small cylinder is for pistol charges. The large cylinder is for rifle.

Dave

Lone_Gunman
February 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
So in the photo of the RCBS Uniflow link, will the black tube sticking out of the bottom of the Uniflow get enough height to clear the Safety Prime?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 13, 2007, 06:37 AM
The "black tube" I think you're talking about is the powder meter adjustment and is at max length and set to dispense everything the the powder measure's cylinder holds. At that setting, it clears the safety prime by about 1/16." I can't think of a powder load that big I'd ever use and I'd think anybody using such a load would be nuts.

When set to measure about 45 grains of IMR 4895, the powder meter adjustment sticks out about half that distance and clears the safety prime by about 3/4." My intention with the picture is to illustrate the maximum distance the meter might be adjusted to and still clear the safety prime. Someone familiar with the Uniflow, such as tkcomer, would understand the meter adjustment is set at maximum.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading 308 with theLee Pro Auto DisK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!