Fabi75
February 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
I bought 2000 rounds of Norinco 9mm Ammo:

http://www.waffen-ingold.ch/images/9mm_Norinco_124FMJ.jpg

On the case the following is written: 9x19, L, Y, 94

Is this ammo corrosive?

Thanks,

Fabian

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Norinco ammo corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
February 11, 2007, 08:30 PM
It is almost inconceivable that this is is corrosive-primed ammo. But not quite. Priming compounds containing the corrosive chemical (similar in composition to table salt) haven't been made in the US or non-communist Europe for at least 40 years, but who knows with this Chinese stuff.

If you absolutely must satisfy your curiosity, a test you could do is to pull a bullet out of a round, dump the powder and fire the primer only against a bare untreated steel plate. If after a couple of days you see rust forming where you "shot" it, the priming compound is corrosive. Even if it is found to be corrosive, your normal cleaning procedures will take care of it. It would take some time, many rounds fired and a large helping of neglect to hurt your bore.

AK103K
February 11, 2007, 08:44 PM
I shot a ton of stuff that looked just like it back in the 90's and just finished up the last 500 rounds of it I had about a month ago. It came in from Norinco in 2000 round cases labeled as China Sports. Its not the most accurate stuff, but fine for closer range blasting. Never had any corrosion issues with it.

Mike_In_BC
February 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
Here in Canada we get lots of norinco guns and ammo. Here almost all the norinco ammo is non-corrosive, except for 7.62 x 39 which is military surplus that has been repacked. They all tend to stamp "corrosive" on the boxes of stuff that is.

10-Ring
February 12, 2007, 01:21 AM
I had bought a bunch of Chinese 9mm several years ago and went through it w/o an issue. Now I have been told it's corrosive but I have not 1st hand experience to substantiate :confused:

CWL
February 12, 2007, 01:41 PM
Even with corrosive ammo, if you clean your gun after shooting, you should be able to remove the accumulated salts so it won't be an issue.

Fabi75
February 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds as if the ammo won't give me much trouble.

I really like the test suggested by The Lone Haranguer though. I will try that and post what I find out.

Fabian

jonnyc
February 12, 2007, 08:03 PM
I loved that ammo. I can't tell from the picture, but it is 124 grain, correct? While I have some Swiss and Canadians here, do you guys also get fairly recent (post-1994) Chinese 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo? I collect all lots and dates in Tokarev, but I've only been able to find a few post-1994 dates.

Mike_In_BC
February 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
I have been getting new 7.62 x 25 ammo from norinco. It comes in a yellow box, loose with paper between the layers. 60 per box, it has "NON-CORROSIVE" on the box in huge red letters. I could take some pics and post them if someone points me in the right direction for a faq on pics.

Oh, it is still berdan primed, and the both the cases and jacketed 90gr ball bullets are pinkish in color.

I ran about 20 or thirty through a chronograph and they were at about 1550 fps (with a variation of about 10-15fps at ten feet from the muzzle, 65 degrees f, 75% humidity)

Mike_In_BC
February 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
Oops, did you want some lot numbers? Also where is the date, on the box, or on the case? I was told they were new ammo, but I'm not sure of the date.

If your 9mm is corrosive just use a bit of windex on a patch through the barrel, and use some on a cloth to wipe down.

kokapelli
February 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
If you are concerned about corrosive primers, clean your pistol with "Gunzilla B 10" CLP.

It will prevent any corrosive action, eliminates having to use soap and water and you will also find it to be the best CLP you have ever used.

http://www.topduckproducts.com/products.aspx?product=gunzilla

jonnyc
February 13, 2007, 12:39 AM
Mike In BC, can you describe the headstamps on the 7.62x25 Tokarevs? I think the latest we got here in the US was '93 or '94.

Mike_In_BC
February 13, 2007, 12:04 PM
Sure they are stamped "947" on top and "94" along the bottom.

jonnyc
February 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oh well, we got up to '94 here in the US. I was hoping you got something later.
You, or anyone, can e-mail or PM me and I will send you a listing of all "Known" Tokarev cartridges. I'd love to know about any not listed.
Thanks,
Jon

Fabi75
February 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
@ jonnyc

The shop from which I bought the ammp sold it as 124 grain ammo. On the box is written 115 grain though. Unfortunately I dumped the wooden crate already ...

Unfortunately I never saw Norinco 7.62mm Tokarev ammo here in Switzerland. The shops I visited so far only sold Sellier & Bellot Tokarev ammo.

@ Mike_In_BC

You can upload pictures at http://www.imageshack.us/ and post the link to the picture afterwards.

Fabian

FJC
February 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
I used to buy a case of that every gunshow I attended back in the early 90's.

Alas, the days of cheap imported ammo and good gunshows seem to be a thing of the past...

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm Norinco ammo corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!