Bore snakes: use solvent or not?

PDA

1KPerDay
February 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
I see no mention of solvent in the instructions, just pull through. Should I use solvent or not? Seems strange to me not to...:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore snakes: use solvent or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Notch
February 12, 2007, 06:35 PM
I put Hoppes on the brass bristle area.

rritter
February 12, 2007, 06:38 PM
I generally fold the little piece between the pull cord and the brush section over and dunk it in the solvent bottle. Then I press it against the side of the bottle to squeeze out most of the solvent, and pull it through the bore. After three or four pulls through with the solvent from that first dunking, I'll put a few drops of oil on the tail of the snake and pull it through again to leave a coat of oil in the bore.

g5reality
February 12, 2007, 06:45 PM
I usually jsut pull it through a few times after fifing while the barrel is still hot. I've also dunked the front in hopps #9 and pulled through a couple of times and used oul after the first 3-4 passes. Using a bore light afterwards showa a clean nicely oiled barrel.

1KPerDay
February 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks, fellers. I'll try that.:cool:

CB900F
February 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
1KPerDay;

You might want to try this; clean the gun with bore snake. Then, run a patch with Hoppes #9, via the traditional method, down the bore, followed by a clean patch. See if the snake did the job it's supposed to.

After watching my son use one & performing the same little test, my personal opinion is that the bore snake is a good way to separate money from your wallet, but that's about it.

900F

DMK
February 12, 2007, 08:53 PM
I use CLP on mine, soaking the bristles and the area before them. I pull it through about three times to clean and lube all at the same time.

I don't consider it a real cleaning. Just a quick way to get the loose carbon out of the barrel and protect the bore if I'm going to shoot it again soon or until I can get back to it for a real cleaning.

CU74
February 12, 2007, 09:48 PM
+1 DMK. Bore Snakes are great at the range for a quick clean, or when you are planning to shoot the firearm again in a day or so. The are NOT repalcements for brushes and jags & patches.

10-Ring
February 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
I use a little cleaner (Hoppes, MPro7...whatever's handy) on the bristle end & pull through a few times...

losoj30@yahoo.com
February 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
bore snakes suc man! just go get an old white cotten shirt have your girlfriend cut it up into squares and use a bore brush for heavens sake!!;)

Ala Dan
February 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
I use Break Free on the bore snakes, and it makes the barrels "spic N' span".;)

MechAg94
February 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
I try not to use the bore snakes for 1st pass cleaning, just for final wiping. I have an Otis kit I use for applying Hoppes and running a few patches through. The bore snake works well for getting that last few wipes to make the bore look shiny; reduces the number of clean patches I need to run. I have a rifle or two that seem like I could run patches all day long and they still come out dirty.

RnR
February 12, 2007, 10:46 PM
I've had to reconsider my own use of these wiggly tools a bit..

I now, like the previous poster, don't use them for the initial pass through the bore, as I tend to prefer a gentle solvent (FP-10 or a bore gel) that can sit awhile, go to work and get under the crud. So this means first getting out the rod and patches and then following up with the snake for a thorough "flossing" with or without a final corrosion protection pass.

They do however always follow me to the range for an interval cleaning if volume demands it.

They just don't allow sufficient time for those expensive juices to work their magic on each pass, IMHO ;) .

dm1333
February 12, 2007, 10:49 PM
I use a little spray cleaner on my bore snake or get the snake started in the bore and then spray the rest of it with the cleaner. The only bore snake that I use is for my .22 and it seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning. I've never used one on any of my other rifles.

Euclidean
February 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
I find bore snakes are a God send on .22 caliber barrels.

longeyes
February 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
When I want to do a quick clean without full field-strip I'll (carefully, via plastic cleaning rod courtesy of Glock) douse the barrel with a patch saturated with Hoppe's and let it sit a while, then pull the Boresnake through two or three times.

This may be unorthodox but it seems to work.

1KPerDay
February 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
After watching my son use one & performing the same little test, my personal opinion is that the bore snake is a good way to separate money from your wallet, but that's about it.
I've never used them before... I always use brass brush/patches/solvent. But I figure I'd try the bore snake on some of my .22s; the cheap ones I don't particularly obsess about.:D

I wouldn't consider it a "deep cleaning" either... just get most of the residue out of the bore so it doesn't eat the rifling, in between "real" cleanings.

Thanks all for the advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore snakes: use solvent or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!