Looking for some cleaning tips and pointers for M44's and M48's....

PDA

CRAYZCANESSPORTS
June 4, 2003, 03:05 PM
I have a few M44's and M48's, coming in and I am sure they are gonna be packed with grease/cosmo.
I was wondering if anyone here knows of any information on this on this site or any other sites that might be able to help me remove it faster and EASIER :D.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

:cool: :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for some cleaning tips and pointers for M44's and M48's...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CRAYZCANESSPORTS
June 4, 2003, 03:08 PM
Sorry forgot to add, I am also looking for information on the tear down and rebuilding of the m44's and m48's.

Again any information you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool:

cordex
June 4, 2003, 03:09 PM
I've heard that mineral spirits work well.

Hot and mildy soapy water works wonders. I've found that boiling water poured it over disassembled parts will get a lot of it off. Wipe clean. Bake smaller parts at 200 degrees for 30 minutes or until dry. Run several patches through the barrel and allow to dry. Re-oil and reassemble. Your wife will love you for it.

Edit: Oops! Not what you were looking for?

When I get home I'll try to post instructions on disassembling the bolts if someone doesn't beat me to it.

CRAYZCANESSPORTS
June 4, 2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Anything will be helpful, usually only get 1 or 2 in at a time. But have about 20 coming in and would like to cut the cleaning time down as much as I can.

Again thanks for your time and efforts.

:rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool:

saands
June 12, 2003, 07:19 PM
If you get to the point of needing to strip the finish off, I stumbled across non-fuming EASY-OFF (formulation without lye) ... 20 minutes after applying it to an old BLO finish and the wood was clean and the grease and old finish was history. It was truly amazing. I tried it on a M38 whose finished had peeled and it didn't work so quickly on the varnish ... but about 4 treatments like that and it too was ready for its new coat. No guarantees here and I have heard that the lye based formulations can turn wood black ... so you might want to test carefully first.

It seems like any degreaser works pretty well on the cosmoline ... although I've seen some of the more industrial ones attack the bluing if they are left on for extended periods of time!

Saands

CRAYZCANESSPORTS
June 12, 2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the tips, I greatly appreciate them.

:D :D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for some cleaning tips and pointers for M44's and M48's...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!