Bushmaster Stock Removal

PDA

joesolo
February 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
Can someone tell me how to remove the standard straight stock on a Bushmaster XM15 223 to replace with a 6 position adjustable please? I have the lower removed and the buffer spring out. I see a ring between the stock and the lower but can't figure out what is supposed to be unscrewed. I can tell how the new one is mounted...it looks pretty easy. Any help?

Thanks

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Stock Removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AFhack
February 14, 2007, 07:45 PM
There's a pdf here that you probably want to save to your local computer:

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

it's got all the info you need for stock removal... plus a whole lot more.

Don't Tread On Me
February 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
Real simple. Take a flathead screw driver, preferably with a wide head and unscrew the rear buttstock screw. This is the TOP screw found at the butt plate above the trapdoor.

Once you remove that, you can slide off the buttstock. Go SLOW ...because the buttstock holds in the rear take down pin's detent pin. Be careful not to lose the spring or the tiny detent pin. Save those, you'll need them.

Then, you find yourself a wrench. The rear of the buffer tube is squared off for this very reason. Unscrew it and it will separate from the lower. Be careful again. The buffer tube also retains the buffer retaining pin and spring. Within the first few revolutions right at the start, the buffer retaining pin should be freed.

That removes the buttstock. To put the collapsible on, you reverse this process for the most part. First, you screw in the buffer tube/receiver extension which should have the collapsing buttstock already attached. Once you get close to the hole in the receiver where the buffer retaining pin is, put the spring in, then the retaining pin - screw the buttstock in until the pin becomes captive and the stock is aligned vertically. Usually, the buffer tube will come right up to the pin. So long as the pin is captive by the tube, you want to make sure the stock is straight. Next, put in the detent pin, then the spring. Then lower down the plate to cover that up and then begin screwing down the castle nut till secure. A castle nut wrench is a good thing to have.

Ah, before any of that, make sure that the castle nut is screwed back and out of the way, and that the retaining plate is on there and oriented in the correct direction.

It is much easier than it is described.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Stock Removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!