Looking for stats on murder rates!

PDA

Axman
February 15, 2007, 02:35 AM
I did a google and came up short. I would like to know what the percentage is of guns used in homicides compared to non-gun homicides. For instance there were XX homicides in 2006 (or any recent year), of that number XX% were commited using guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for stats on murder rates!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zoogster
February 15, 2007, 03:01 AM
The results will show that guns are used in a large percent of them in this country because they are the tool most associate with the "job".

However in countries where gun ownership is less or heavily restricted/banned other weapons are more commonly used in addition to guns. If someone decides to kill someone else they are going to grab the best tool for the job, and that is usualy a gun. That is why guns are protected in the first place, they are the best arm for terminating a threat whether used by a young strong man, or a frail elderly woman. They are effective, and create equality for all.

So if your trying to make a statement that guns only account for such and such percent of murders and therefore are not to blame I can tell you it is a losing angle to start from. America as a mixing pot and with multiple competing ethnicities and negative sub cultures has a fairly high murder rate per capita compared to other industrialy advanced nations. Most of the murders occur in inner cities among minority inner city gang members, but it still makes the total higher per capita. We simply have a big thug and gang culture in America that encourages it. They will happily beat someone to death with a blunt weapon, stab someone with a sharp weapon, or shoot someone with a gun for being the wrong race or wearing the wrong colors for a sense of identity and belonging and machoism tied in with the culture.

If guns did not exist (which no ban will succeed in accomplishing) then the tool used would be something else, likely favoring men and people with strength, but murders would still happen frequently, and in fact more often because the deterant would be less for strong capable young men with criminal desires. If they are banned then those criminals that ignore the law and possess and use them anyways have a decisive advantage over everyone else and can attack with great confidence.

xilch
February 15, 2007, 03:19 AM
I would suggest going to http://www.gunfacts.info/ and looking at the booklet (PDF). He has pretty exhaustivley gathered all of the research together in one place and he lists sources.

Soybomb
February 15, 2007, 05:38 AM
You'll probably find what you want in here http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm

ForeignDude
February 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
compiled by the CDC: Mortality rates, by various categories, for the years 1999-2004. You can navigate away from the linked page if you want additional mortality information.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html

svtruth
February 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
call the CDC (404-639-3534) and talk to a real live human bean, paid by your tax dollars. I've always found them helpful.
Good luck.

Axman
February 15, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys. That was just what I was looking for.

No, I was not looking for the info for argument purposes! I was needing it for use in a newsletter article for informative purposes. My point to be made is that criminals are using guns the most and in a self-defense situation it would make sense to be armed in the same manner. The newsletter is put out by a friend's local security firm and is distributed to more than 100 security officers in his employ. I was just gathering info for him to use and this fits the bill.

jlbraun
February 15, 2007, 01:27 PM
www.statemaster.com
www.nationmaster.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for stats on murder rates!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!