Crimp Reloads for M1 Garands

PDA

pdh
June 4, 2003, 08:42 PM
Fellas....is it necessary to crimp the loads for M1 Garands??A friend of mine read somewhere that it is.

I have been loading for my M1s for several years and have not crimped..... no problems,but I never checked to see if the bullets were pulling out under recoil.I also use Seirra bullets.

Thanks
Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimp Reloads for M1 Garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve in PA
June 5, 2003, 12:33 AM
Nope........I don't and never have had a problem.

Blackcloud6
June 5, 2003, 07:55 AM
If you are using bullets with a cannalure (sp?), you should lightly crimp the case at the cannalure. This is how the military rounds are (were) made. This prevents the bullet from being pushed back into the case during the loading of the round. This is a common precaution for military ammunition for semi-auto rifles.

hps1
June 5, 2003, 12:54 PM
Crimping a non cannelured bullet can be detrimental to accuracy and most match bullets do not have a cannelure. Have loaded for M1's and M1A's for years without crimping and never had a bullet slip.

Regards,
hps

Fatelvis
June 5, 2003, 04:08 PM
No crimp is nessisary.

pdh
June 5, 2003, 08:28 PM
I appreciate very much the replies.:)
Thanks
Paul

Gewehr98
June 7, 2003, 03:41 PM
You use something like a Lee Factory Crimp.

Uniform crimp, that if done right, doesn't distort the bullet jacket.

I use one for all of my autoloaders, including the .30-06 for my M1 Garands, FN-49, and BAR. Since we handloaders don't have access to the asphaltum bullet sealant used in the military contracts...

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimp Reloads for M1 Garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!