This is some real good bump firing.

PDA

Evil Monkey
February 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
Found this video on youtube. Everybody else bumps from the hip, these guys do it from the shoulder, and you wouldn't even know they're bumping!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=645TjlAsb-s

If you enjoyed reading about "This is some real good bump firing." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pacodelahoya
February 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
They'll have to register their fingers as MG', with the BATFE.:D

High Planes Drifter
February 16, 2007, 10:38 AM
Im having problems bringing the video up (im at work). There is a device you can mount in the trigger gaurd that "helps" you to bump fire. Im not sure, but I think its called "Hellfire Trigger ". Can you notice anything mounted in the trigger gaurd on the video?

Evil Monkey
February 16, 2007, 10:44 AM
I don't see anything attached to the trigger.

Heavy Metal Hero
February 16, 2007, 10:51 AM
They are obviously training to kill Americans with their evil AKs.

:)

ceetee
February 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
I like the "And this is the policeman that came out to arrest me... He's going to show us how it's done!" part.

ezypikns
February 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
but what is "bump" firing?

morcoth
February 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
Bump fire is where you use the recoil of the rifle to reactivate the trigger, so the rifle moves back and forth a bit, and keeps running into your trigger finger.

Morcoth

High Planes Drifter
Bump firing is a way to try to mimic full auto in a semi auto firearm. It is accomplished by constantly pulling forward on the rifle, to keep constant preasure on the trigger. The recoil will pull rearward and reset the trigger for the next shot.

edit- dang, you type a bit faster than me morcoth

Kevlarman
Check out http://www.poormansmachinegun.com/
and
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

Bump firing a Garand is fun! :D

1911Tuner
February 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
Ya'll realize that things like this gives the antis yet another reason to double their efforts to ban all semi-auto firearms...rifles as well as pistols.

"Why, all they have to do is practice this bump-firing technique a little, and they can turn ANY semi-automatic weapon into a *gasp* machine gun! We MUST do something about this!"

...and they will...

RavenVT100
February 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
You can count me in as one of the group who thinks bump fire is irresponsible. There is the political reason, and then there is the fact that it's an inaccurate waste of ammo which involves giving up a fairly significant amount of control over where your rounds are going.

1911JMB
February 16, 2007, 04:44 PM
Not to further fuel the anti's, but any idiot with a string can also turn a semi auto into a "gasp" machine gun, albeit more feloniously.

MudPuppy
February 16, 2007, 05:00 PM
Bah, in my opinion they don't need a reason. And then they'll go after any repeater, including the bolt, pump, and lever action.

Respectfully, I'll exercise my freedoms without fear--or else they don't exist.

Just my two mites.

quatin
February 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
You can count me in as one of the group who thinks bump fire is irresponsible. There is the political reason, and then there is the fact that it's an inaccurate waste of ammo which involves giving up a fairly significant amount of control over where your rounds are going.

You make it sound like the only "purposeful" way of using a gun is to shoot benchrest.

nramember2
February 16, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ya'll realize that things like this gives the antis yet another reason to double their efforts to ban all semi-auto firearms...rifles as well as pistols.

"Why, all they have to do is practice this bump-firing technique a little, and they can turn ANY semi-automatic weapon into a *gasp* machine gun! We MUST do something about this!"

...and they will...What tuner is trying to say is. You don't "kiss and tell" You especially don't put it on the net where it can be used against you legal or not.
I don't care what someone does with their own firearm as long as the anti's can not use it against us as a group.

Read my tagline. It isn't totally true.

Glockfan.45
February 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
You make it sound like the only "purposeful" way of using a gun is to shoot benchrest.

Some people here seem to think that way :scrutiny: . Lighten up and have some fun, the antis want your autoloaders regardless of if you bump fire them or not, some of you people amaze me with your paranoia. I rarely bump since I have had the local sheriffs dept show up before on account of a nosy little troll down the road calling them, and its a hassel to show them its not really auto.

I'll exercise my freedoms without fear--or else they don't exist
Amen to that.

Gord
February 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
I can pull the trigger fast enough to mimic a machine gun anyway, if I'm not concerned with aiming. Unless we're talking belt-fed, there's no practical difference in the effectiveness of full versus semi fire for cover purposes - it just sounds more insidious to the antis to think that I can empty a mag in a few seconds with one pull of the trigger versus emptying a mag in a few seconds with multiple pulls of the trigger. :rolleyes:

Bumping isn't practical, neither is full-auto, both are fun. Look down on bumping as "inappropriate" all you want, it just means we can trot out the old line about not needing a car that goes faster than 70MPH.

1911Tuner
February 16, 2007, 05:59 PM
Got zero problem with havin' fun with guns. I do it all the time. I do have a few issues with moronic gangsta wannabes and snot-nosed idiots behaving irresponsibly and dangerously with guns...and puttin' it on the WWW for all to witness said behavior so that "they" can justify their approach of:
"Yeah. We're doing the right thing. it's for the children and whales and stuff."

And full-auto that isn't under full control is dangerous. Not long ago, a kid in a swimming pool at Carrowinds was killed by a 7.62X39 round that was fired from nearly a mile away. Seems some dipwad let his Hellfire device get the best of him...round went over the backstop...threaded its way through the chain link fence...and into a little girl's body. DRT.

So, yeah...I gotta problem with crap like that.

No. I don't have documentation handy, but you can probably google it up.

Evil Monkey
February 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
The paranoia expressed by some of you makes me want to:barf: .

You guys are the same people who will thump your chests and scream "from my cold DEAD HANDS!!!!" yet you whine over the anti's discovering bump fire.

1911Tuner
February 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
Monkey...They're already aware of it. I'm just trying to point out that film clips of idiots actin' like idiots while they do it ain't gonna help.

Googled the story. Later investigation revealed that the boys had pooled their money and bought a Hellfire at a Charlotte gun show. Need to have both hands on that rifle when it's tickin' along at 600 rpms.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE1DA1238F931A15755C0A961948260

Bazooka Joe71
February 16, 2007, 06:19 PM
Googled the story. Later investigation revealed that the boys had pooled their money and bought a Hellfire at a Charlotte gun show. Need to have both hands on that rifle when it's tickin' along at 600 rpms.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A961948260

Sounds like a group of really intelligent, really responsible individuals. :barf:

Lucky
February 16, 2007, 07:07 PM
Got zero problem with havin' fun with guns. I do it all the time. I do have a few issues with moronic gangsta wannabes and snot-nosed idiots behaving irresponsibly and dangerously with guns...and puttin' it on the WWW for all to witness said behavior so that "they" can justify their approach of:
"Yeah. We're doing the right thing. it's for the children and whales and stuff."

The video was about ordinary guys bump-firing, and then a police officer doing it too. Maybe you should stop projecting your own psychological issues or irrational fears onto everyone else. Banning bump-firing or banning semi-autos isn't going to make every jackass a safe shooter. There are idiots out there, always will be. If you cater to them, the lowest common denominator, then guess what - you're one of them now.

1911Tuner
February 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not projecting anything, Lucky. I'm pointing out the simple fact that the practice is dangerous, and the police officer was being as irresponsible as the other guy. Though the clip may well have been taken in a completely safe area with a 50-foot backstop...others that try it may not be so responsible.

I'll stand on what I wrote. THR's mission statement is in promoting the safe,*responsible* use of firearms. Nothing that I saw in that clip qualified as either. If they want to shoot full-auto, they should go to a full-auto meet so they can learn the right way to do it.

MudPuppy
February 16, 2007, 07:38 PM
I can understand and respect the opinion that responsible gun owners need to be, well, responsible. If you're not responsible for where your bullets are landing--bump, semi, bolt or single--then you shouldn't be shooting.

I also understand the idea that we should be aware of the image we project.

The anti's have been beating our pants off on the propaganda front for years.

I do get awful frustrated with the "skeet and trap crowd" not covering my back in regards to my black plastic guns. (Why the heck don't they just use single shot shotties anyway? It's just a clay target! :neener: )

Wes Janson
February 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
It seems to me that the issue at heart isn't that the little girl was killed by irresponsible shooting so much as that they broke Rule 4. This might be unpopular, but personally I'd say the irresponsible thing is shooting a weapon outdoors with houses and people well within the maximum range of the projectile, downrange. It didn't need be a Hellfire or bump firing that could have caused that death, it might just as easily been under different circumstances a ricochet, or an AD/ND.

We obviously don't have any way of knowing what sort of range these people were on, whether it had an adequate safe zone behind the berm or not. So then why be so quick to claim their behavior was dangerous? For all we know, the next ten miles downrange consisted of nothing but forest. Focus on the true problems, and don't assume that people are acting recklessly without proof.

.cheese.
February 16, 2007, 08:12 PM
Nothing wrong with bumpfiring so long as you do it in a safe place. Period.

I'm surprised to see so many of you getting upset over how bumpfiring gives the antis an excuse to take our semi-autos away because with bumpfiring people can mimic autos - when what you should really be upset about is that autos are illegal to citizens in the first place. That's where your problem lies.

:confused:

1911Tuner
February 16, 2007, 08:26 PM
Mudpuppy...exactly my point. Rule 4: Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.

When you're firing a fairly powerful rifle at 600-650 rpms, it climbs. It torques to the right, if it has a RH twist. If we understand that .005 inch of movement at the front sight will move the POI an inch at 100 yards...and the rifle climbs a foot above the POA...how far over a 5-foot berm will the round fly? It's easy to put two or three over the top to God-knows-where...and when a man only has one hand with a firm grip on the rifle...it can climb to a foot or more above POA in quick-time. He has to be lucky with every round that goes out of the backstop. He only has to be unlucky once.

SB88LX
February 16, 2007, 08:33 PM
Shape of mag, amount of recoil, my guess is 5.45x39, not 7.62.

Sharps-shooter
February 16, 2007, 09:51 PM
I had this rifle that I had just gotten, and my woman and I were trying it out. I fired a group, adjusted the sights, fired another group, checked it out, and fired a couple more shots. Then I gave the rifle to her.

She pointed it, and pulled back on the trigger, and sent twelve rounds flying into the backstop, which was a tall bank (landscape feature, not financial institution). She said, innocently enough, that she didn't realize it was in full auto mode. This surprised me, because I didn't realize it was in full auto mode either. In fact, I was certain that this particular rifle was not in full auto mode, and contained no such feature as full auto mode.

I checked the little switch, which was pointed at "fire" rather than "safe", and then i reloaded. She said she had done it just by holding back the trigger, so I made sure to hold back the trigger this time. It went bang, once, and that was it.

I asked her if she would do the trick again, but she wouldn't. Not sure if she accidentally bump fired it, or did it on purpose and tried to be funny about it.

PotatoJudge
February 16, 2007, 10:28 PM
The problem doesn't sound like it's the bump firing, it sounds like it's the prohibition of full-autos (gives you that extra hand to hold tight with).

Us: Well then, automatic weapons should be legal!
Them: See, semi-automatics are too dangerous for people to own. Think of the children! -dialing the BATFE, who they have on speed dial-

I don't think we'd win that one right now.

On the other hand, stop exercising your rights and you'll lose them. Just be safe, and don't post evidence of anything that makes us look bad.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is some real good bump firing." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!