AR-10 or DPMS

PDA

Wolfy
June 5, 2003, 01:50 AM
Already have an M1A and a Garand and am looking for a black rifle. Which one do you recommend and why? I like the 308 that is why I chose these two rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 or DPMS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Southern Raider
June 5, 2003, 08:21 AM
The DPMS rifle is a target type rifle for which only 10 round mags are available. Supposedly the 20 round SR25 mags work (at $100+ a pop), but I've heard conflicting reports on this. The DPMS rifle is best compared to the AR10T for price/performance.

For general purpose MBR work, I pick the AR10A4 (flat top) rifle. Mag conversion kits are $30 and you use the spring and floorplate from a high cap M14 mag to make it work.

Badger Arms
June 5, 2003, 11:53 AM
If you haven't already looked at them, take a gander at the DSA rifles. FAL's in the same price category are outstanding weapons with cheap magazines and a proven history. You're unlikely to have as many problems with DSA as you will with the AR-10 or DPMS. Me, I've got an AR-10 and like it, but I'd get the DSA if I had it all to do over again. I'd go for the free-float barrel model.

Wolfy
June 5, 2003, 05:47 PM
Badger DSA's are illegal to own in NJ:fire: :banghead: But thanks for the suggestion.

Nightcrawler
June 5, 2003, 06:00 PM
FALs are illegal but AR-10s aren't? There's logic for you. :rolleyes:

Byron Quick
June 5, 2003, 07:54 PM
Logical legislator...the penultimate oxymoron.

People, seeking the power to tell other people how to live their lives is pathological. It's a sickness. It automatically precludes the use of logic.

SodaPop
June 5, 2003, 07:57 PM
Badger DSA's are illegal to own in NJ

No they aren't.

You just can't have a magazine over 15rds.

I could out a few people I know that have FALS.

They are legal.

Nightcrawler
June 5, 2003, 08:00 PM
The only FAL mags I've seen are 5, 10, 20, and 30 rounders. I suppose you could plug a 20 to hold fifteen, if that would be legal.

Or, you could get a VEPR II and have Kreb's convert it to Galil .308 mags. Plenty of 12 and 15 rounders out there for that. CDNN has the 12 rounders and Forrest Co. has the 15 rounders, apparently.

Wolfy
June 5, 2003, 09:05 PM
Maybe DSA isn't named specifically but I think it falls under the SAR 48 type this is just a guess.

http://www.mynra.com/frame.cfm?title=NRA%20Institute%20for%20Legislative%20Action&url=http://www.nraila.org

Also you want logic I own an M1 and a M1a but the M1 carbine is on the banned list???????

SodaPop
June 6, 2003, 12:02 AM
All the NJ guys that have FALs have the 10rd mags.:rolleyes:

Just cross the Delaware river to freedom.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 or DPMS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!