Class III license quick questions


MP Sniper
February 16, 2007, 08:57 PM
What are the requirements for a Class III license? how long does it take to go through? Any down sides to having a class III license? How do i get ahold of the forms?

If you enjoyed reading about "Class III license quick questions" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 16, 2007, 09:02 PM
Define what you mean by a "Class III" license. There is no such animal. Are you talking about getting an 01 FFL and paying your Class 3 Special Occupational Tax? Or are you just inquiring about purchasing a Title 2 Firearm, such as a AOW, DD, MG, SBR, SBS? Or are you talking about an 03 FFL (Curio & Relic License)?

MP Sniper
February 16, 2007, 09:03 PM
such as being able to buy and own fully automatic firearms legally

February 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
MG - machine gun
SI - sound suppressor (silencer)
SR - short barreled rifle
SG - short shotgun
AOW - any other weapon
LBDD - large bore destructive device
EXPDD - explosive, incendiary or poison gas destructive device

NJ Y N N N Y N N (mg requires discretionary and rarely issued permit from state court)

February 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, being in NJ, you are chances are slim to none of owning any NFA. The only NFA that NJ allows are Machine Guns, but:

MACHINE GUNS: A machine gun is any firearm, mechanism, or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot and having a reservoir, belt or other means of storing and carrying ammunition which can be loaded into the firearm, mechanism, or instrument and fired. Possession, purchase, or sale of a machine gun without a license is prohibited. A license can be obtained by applying to a judge of the Superior Court where the applicant resides or, if a nonresident, where business is conducted. Manufacture, shipping and transport of a machine gun without a license is also prohibited. No license shall be issued unless the applicant would qualify for a Permit to Carry and the court finds “that the public safety and welfare so require.” The license is valid for one year, unless otherwise provided by the court. The court may also attach such conditions and limitations to the license as it deems to be in the public interest.

So, unless you know a judge on the Superior Court and you can prove that public safety and welfare require you to own a MG, you aren't getting a license.

For those in less restrictive states, you would find the MG you want, fill out a Form 4, get finger prints, photos and get your Chief LEO to sign the form, pay your $200 tax and mail it to ATF for approval. When the form comes back, you can go pick up your gun if it is in state. If its coming from out of state, it has to transfer to an in state dealer first... unless it is C&R and you have a C&R license.

Or some procedure close to that. Sorry for the bad news.

MP Sniper
February 16, 2007, 09:17 PM
aw man i really need to get out of this state, thanks for the info:(

February 16, 2007, 09:22 PM
Southern Jersey is real close to Pennsylvania... :)

They allow everything except explosive Destructive Devices!

February 16, 2007, 09:23 PM
MP Sniper, it looks like you might be able to own an AOW, such as the Serbu Super Shorty (

February 16, 2007, 09:25 PM
Oops! I missed the AOW thing. You can get some pretty cool AOW's, like the Serbu.

If you enjoyed reading about "Class III license quick questions" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!