a thought taken from "pseudo gun buffs"

PDA

answerguy
January 6, 2003, 06:21 PM
Are there any vets out there who have had a bullet, 50 caliber or otherwise, pass by them closely? What was that like?

If you enjoyed reading about "a thought taken from "pseudo gun buffs"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 6, 2003, 06:29 PM
Yes, but I was in an airplane most every time, so I guess that doesn't count.

You want to know if anybody's experienced that with nothing but a foot or two of air between them and the bullet, right?

Subsonic bullets aren't what you're asking about either, I presume.

Supersonic rifle bullets are what you're asking about, am I right?

Best I can tell you is to get the original "Forrest Gump" movie and pay close attention to the firefight scene in Vietnam. Otherwise, you'll need a good friend who's a good shot with a good rifle, a lot of guts, very little sense, a long range, and a lot of stupidity to see for yourself. On second thought, go the "Forrest Gump" route.... :D

Correia
January 6, 2003, 06:39 PM
I was almost shot with an indeterminate deer rifle once. I'm guessing .270 or 30-06 just because it is what is most common around these parts.

I do not know exactly how close it came. I had just stepped out of my car and stood up when I heard something buzz past my ear. The roof of the car vibrated. Scared the heck out of me.

No wind rush. No concussion or anything like that. Heard the buzz noise before I heard the shot.

bogie
January 6, 2003, 06:46 PM
Well, I've pulled targets at our 600 yard range - A coupla feet over my head, meow still get a serious enough sonic crack to make you wear plugs.

redneck2
January 6, 2003, 06:51 PM
so I can't tell you what multiples are like...

singles...sounds kinda like paper tearing except maybe 100x the speed

Average Guy
January 6, 2003, 06:52 PM
Well, I am uniquely qualified to address this. One fine foggy day in Kuwait, as I sat in the turret of my TOW-equipped Hummer, I was treated not only to the high-pitched singing of mortar shrapnel as it flew past my head, but also the dull "chunk-chunk-chunk" of outgoing .50-cal right over the top of my vehicle. Our platoon sergeant had stopped behind us and was shooting over our heads, about 6 feet tops. What he was shooting at, I have no idea. (To answer the question, what was it like: Startling.)

I had never heard any of this killer .50-cal stuff until I read it on TFL. I can report no ill atmospheric effects, and I still have my head. And my hearing (the only thing I heard was the report of the gun). Although I was a little bit pissed at the Gunny, understandably.

Redlg155
January 6, 2003, 06:57 PM
Saw the little green tracers but I didn't stop to listen and appreciate the neat sounds they made.

AKs make you tend to make you not want to stop and hear the "music" :D

Good SHooting
RED

Greybeard
January 6, 2003, 08:35 PM
Trespasser in 1996 obviously did not want to have picture taken with telephoto lense. From around 100 yards, 22 rimfire within unknown number of feet/inches of left ear sounds like a very angry bumble bee.

telewinz
January 6, 2003, 08:47 PM
Went over my head and for all the world sounded like a train going by.

Preacherman
January 6, 2003, 09:41 PM
Yep - too many times... Interestingly, the ones that hit you - well, you don't hear 'em. If you can hear them, they've missed. How do I know this, you ask? Trust your Uncle Preacherman - I know this!
:what:

Monte Harrison
January 7, 2003, 09:44 AM
A very loud "SNAP".

Tamara
January 7, 2003, 09:49 AM
Best I can remember, it made a sound just like me cussing at the top of my lungs. :eek:

NewShooter78
January 7, 2003, 09:50 AM
Can anyone vouche for the effects of the 50 cal sniper rifles used by snipers in the military. Some of my military friends would have me believe that if one of those rounds were to hit your hand it would tear your arm off at either the elbow or shoulder (depends on the day of the week for which one they pick :rolleyes: ).

answerguy
January 7, 2003, 09:51 AM
In the course of war I would have to assume all manner of near misses have happened, including: having your hair parted, uniform puctured or an ear pierced.

Speaking of parting hair. Many years ago I shot a deer and while waiting for my hunting buddy to arrive on the scene I was examing my trophy. I was observing the neck area and there was what I am sure was a parting of hair from a near miss. Probably mine as he continued to run after my first shot in the lungs (with an '06).

Shawn Dodson
January 7, 2003, 01:10 PM
Rifle bullets that pass by go "SNAP!"

Rifle bullets that hit flesh go "THWACK!"

Oatka
January 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
Other than working the target pits, no Real World experience. Yeah, all calibers I heard went CRACK!

Had an interesting experience with outgoing though. I was backup shark guard on a sub in the 50s. We'd fire a fish and after it's run the "warhead" would fill with air and bob about. We'd send a couple of guys over the side to hook it up to a davit for retrieval.

The Navy, in it's wisdom, sent us to sea with a couple of M1s, but no clips. :rolleyes: The main shark guard had to single shot it. I had on board a 32"-bbl 45-70 with some rounds (in the boat's armory) and asked to stand watch also, claiming the heavier ball was just as effective as the 30-06. I got a lot of ribbing about "that old smokepole".

When we secured, I asked if I could shoot some rounds and they said OK. I was using some of Bannerman's old smokeless Gatling Gun ammo, ca. 1908 with 500 gr. slugs. After a few close-range, geyser-spouting shots, we wanted to see how far the slugs would carry (we were pretty far out at sea in the Caribbean).

I angled her at about 45 deg., fired, and heard a "Wish-wish-wish" sound. We never did see where the slugs landed but burned up 20 rounds just to hear the sound. Some of the no-gun-savvy guys thought it was as powerful as our 40mms.

I kept squinting into the sun to see if I could track the ball in flight :D as that big inch-long slug had a muzzle velicity of only about 1100 fps.

igor
January 7, 2003, 04:28 PM
Well... from the target bunker... a company of 120 men shoots in two shifts, 60 each, with the other sixty in the bunker patching the targets and noting results. The sound of 7,62x39 from 60 Sakos and Valmets is a he11 of a swarm of hornets, with the actual shots from 150 or 300 meters away sounding strangely vague. The 7,62x53R from a Valmet or Dragunov sniper rifle gives a heavier buzz, as if tearing through something thicker than air.

If you enjoyed reading about "a thought taken from "pseudo gun buffs"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!