Conceal Carry Preferences

PDA

Machete
February 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
I just got my CCW and I just have a few questions for everyone that has one.

1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?
2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)?
3. Do you prefer revolver or auto?
4. What exact gun do you carry the most?

Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called?

Thank You!

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal Carry Preferences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BobMcG
February 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
1) Yes.
2) IWB holster, mostly.
3) Auto, mostly.
4) .40 Mini-Firestorm, mostly.

Also) Don't know.

Ala Dan
February 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
1. I always carry one in the chamber of a semi-auto~!;)

2a) Seecamp LWS-32 front pants pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster
2b) Kel-Tec P3AT back pocket (no holster)
2c) S&W J-frame (Bianchi model #6 IWB at 4 o'clock)
2d) Kimber 3" Stainless Ultra Carry II (Kirkpatrick Compact Undercover OWB)

3. I alternate carry guns, between a S&W model 642 and a Kimber Stainless
Ultra Carry II .45 aCP.

4> Those things that go into the trigger guard are called trigger locks~!;)

sm
February 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
1. Always
2. IWB, OWB and "other"
3. Both
4. Depends.*

*At this time and needing a "niche gun" Kel-Tec P-11 is what I have been using most. Note the need for a "niche gun"

Prefer :
Bone stock Gov't Model of 1911 with 7 rd mags
3" RB HB K frame revolver
Model 36 or 37 J frame.

Been know to carry all 3, or two of the 3.

I do not do "thingies" on guns.
Less is More is the way I prefer to have my firearms.
I do not even feel real comfortable with pinkie rests on the bottom of magazines.

I just demonstrated for some folks, how these pinkie extensions if dropped, banged, and get cracked, broken will render a mag useless.
If the mag does not work - neither will the firearm.

Get Training.

eagle45
February 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
1. Yes
2. Mostly OWB.
3. Prefer auto, but carry both.
4. XDSC 40, Ruger SP101 2" .357

Landor
February 17, 2007, 08:47 PM
1. YES
2. IWB
3. AUTO
4. XD45-C or G19

ZeSpectre
February 17, 2007, 08:49 PM

1) Yes though I have to admit that I had to carry for a while without one in the chamber before I felt comfortable having "one up the snout". Was just a mental hurdle I had to overcome.

2) Depends on which I'm carrying but usually either pocket or outside waistband. I have a smartcarry (http://www.smartcarry.com/)if I need super-deep concealment. Haven't found a single IWB type holster that I can stand for more than an hour.

3) Auto for slimness and capacity. That was also a long transition as I am a long time wheelgun guy.

4) Taurus Millennium Pro or Kel-Tec P-3AT.

Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called? trouble :D Seriously get a good holster that covers the trigger.

DMK
February 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
About half of the time I carry my S&W J-frame lightweight revolver (642, 38 Special). I carry this in my right front pocket in a Desantis pocket holster. It's very convenient. Just pop it in your pocket and go. I throw a 6 round reload on a Bianchi Speed Strip (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34640-41941-1171.html) in another pocket. Once in a while, I'll put the J-frame in a jacket pocket. I don't feel it's very secure though. I worry it will fall out, but it's not a bad way to carry just to walk across the street or something.

The other half of the time I carry a Colt CCO lightweight 1911, IWB (right, rear, about 4:30) in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. I put another 8 round mag in knife pouch on the left side of the belt. That gives me 15 rounds of 45ACP leaves all my pockets free for stuff (like keys and a small flashlight).

The 1911 actually conceals better and is often more comfortable. If I'm driving, it's easier to get to. A gun in a front pants pocket is difficult to draw when sitting and about impossible to draw with a seatbelt on. The only drawback to IWB for me is it takes longer to put on the belt, holster, mag pouch, holster the gun.

I carry the 1911 with a round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. I never had a safety disengage accidentally and even if it did, the 1911 has a second grip safety. I would never put anything in the trigger guard of any of my guns.

I actually prefer a revolver for CCW for reliability reasons. I don't 100% trust magazines to always feed properly. I'm not 100% confortable with just 5 rounds of 38 Special plus reload though either. Also with speed strips, the revolver isn't as quick to reload as the semi. I need to try a larger, heavier revolver in .357 IWB one day and see how I like it. Or maybe I just need to try the J-frame IWB.

gbran
February 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
How YOU carry will depend on what you carry and how you dress. I't an evolving process to find what works for YOU.

As to carrying with one in the chamber.............. Don't buy or carry any gun you don't feel safe carrying with one in the chamber.

RioShooter
February 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
Front right pocket w/holster, .38 snubnose.

Bobo
February 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
Absolutely!
SmartCarry
Auto
Kel-Tec P-3AT

Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called?
Trigger Block

raghorn
February 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
1. Always
2. IWB holster behind strongside hip (Ted Blocker DA-3 holster)
3. Auto
4. FN Hi-Power 9mm

Ringer
February 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
1. Yes, one in the chamber (when applicable)
2. IWB mostly, OWB sometimes - especially at home and in the car, pocket every now and then (on my thigh when driving through/in Ohio :mad: )
3. Semi-Auto, but carry revolver sometimes
4. Kahr PM9, Para Tac-S, Ruger SP101

Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called? Dangerous....If you are not comfortable carrying, and operating, a gun with no safety get a different gun. My opinion of course. That's one of the things I like about my PM9 and SP101, draw and shoot.

Czar
February 17, 2007, 09:32 PM
1: Yes
2: Left Ankle (New years resolution is to get a IWB)
3: AUTO
4: CZ75 Compact 9mm 14+1 Hydrashok & Spare mag with FMJ

My personal preference is to carry with the hammer down safety off since it has less propensity to get caught up in my pant leg.

Black Majik
February 17, 2007, 09:34 PM

1. Absolutely, always
2. Right side OWB, 4 o'clock
3. Auto
4. HK P2000 V3 9mm

You're thinking of a cominolli safety. A complete waste of time and money. Just get a proper holster that covers the whole trigger.

redneckrepairs
February 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
1. A gun that is unsafe fully loaded should not be a carry pistol.
2. Inside waistband and other.
3.for myself thin is inn so i prefer single stack autos.
4. toss up between Kahr p9 and a 1911 clone ( kimber if it matters )
If i could suggest to you as a new CCW holder something i would like to .

Get some quality training from a nationaly recognised trainer , be it gunsite , LFI, taylor , farnam or whomeaver . but invest a bit of time and money in training . It will pay dividends beyond the cost for you .

pax
February 17, 2007, 09:39 PM

1. Yes. Nothing more useless than an empty gun!

2. Kydex IWB, tuckable, appendix carry (between hip & belly button).

3. Auto; when I first started out I knew I wasn't a good enough shot to give up 4 to 6 extra rounds.

4. Glock 26.

pax

Shaughn Leayme
February 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
1. yes
2. My time IWB company time OWB in their approved holster if you want to carry on their dime.:rolleyes: just slightly past the 3 o'clock position
3. Auto
4. 1911 45 acp

RNB65
February 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
>1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?

Always.

>2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)?

Depends on the weather and style of dress. I use coat pocket, front pants pocket and IWB.

>3. Do you prefer revolver or auto?

I prefer semi-auto but I carry both depending on the situation.

>4. What exact gun do you carry the most?

I split between a Kahr P9 and a S&W Mod 60. I carry the P9 when I use a holster and the Mod 60 when I carry without a holster.

chenzzo
February 17, 2007, 09:55 PM
1. every time
2. IWB in the summer, OWB sometimes in winter if I can wear a coat
3. semi-auto
4. SW 5906 9mm

geterdone
February 17, 2007, 09:56 PM
If you carry it is for a reason.Protect your life and your family...LOADED. Otherwise it is worthless. You're weapon is dictated by what you wear from a P-3at to a 45 ACP. Never leave home without it. You will never live to regret it !

JCF
February 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yes

Right hip IWB

80/20 auto

G26/SP101 (2" DAO .357mag)

browningguy
February 17, 2007, 10:23 PM
IWB leather holster, BHP Practical, round chambered, cocked and locked, the way Mr. Browning intended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Pistols/PracticalCocoboloGrips1.jpg

ProguninTN
February 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
1. Yes
2. IWB or OWB
3. Both
4. Ruger SP101 or Ruger P89

.cheese.
February 17, 2007, 11:50 PM
I just got my CCW and I just have a few questions for everyone that has one.

Thank You!

1. Always
2. OWB in a Galco Combat master and a Bianchi OWB mag-pouch for a spare mag.
3. Semi-Auto (Unless you carry a registered Glock 18, I don't think you can carry "auto")
4. Glock 27 (.40 S&W)

Also) I don't know the exact name of them, "trigger-stops" maybe? I don't recommend them though. Instead - carry a gun with at least a trigger-safety. Glock - or if you want an additional safety - the Springfield XD has a trigger safety and a grip safety - and now comes in a sub-compact too.

sixgunner455
February 18, 2007, 12:02 AM
You're thinking of a cominolli safety. A complete waste of time and money. Just get a proper holster that covers the whole trigger.

Actually, I think the cominolli safety is a much more sensible thing than the Glock SAF-T Trigger Block, put out by the guys that bough S&W a while back, which is a block that goes behind the trigger and pops out with the trigger finger, and can be used as a trigger lock. I agree, those are a waste of time.

But the cominolli is a regular manual thumb safety that is installed as part of the gun, intended for glock pistols, and apparently does not negate the glock warranty. Mirrors the manual safety that glock installed on some contract guns as part of the contract.

http://www.cominolli.com/ourproducts.html

To answer the original questions: If I'm carrying a semi-auto, there is a round chambered. If there is a manual safety, it is engages. I carry in several different ways and holsters, including pockets, smartcarry, OWB, IWB, and (very rarely) IWB sans-a-holster. There is no one perfect place or system that works with every situation and gun. I carry autos and revolvers, sometimes one or the other, sometimes two of one or the other, sometimes one of each. Depends on what I'm doing and wearing.

Wolfpackin
February 18, 2007, 12:49 AM
Auto: Chambered, decocked, safety on. Revolver: Fully loaded, ready to go.
Carry: Front right pocket or IWB.
Prefer: Revolver, I feel more confident that it will fire, in a time of need, and have no malfunctions. Just my own personal hang-up. :banghead:
Taurus 85SSUL .38 Special

DoubleTapDrew
February 18, 2007, 01:21 AM
1. Yes. No guarantees I'll have my other hand free to rack the slide (carry it hammer back on an empty chamber for a week at first if you are worried about it and see how many times the hammer is dropped at the end of the day).
2. Usually IWB. Sometimes in a pocket.
3. Auto (wouldn't mind picking up a j-frame when funds permit though)
4. Glock 26 or 23. They always go bang.

If you carry in a holster you don't need a trigger block (like the Safe-T-Block for glocks).

s&w 24
February 18, 2007, 01:43 AM
1) If it ain't loaded it's just a rock in your pocket and that means a round in the chamber

2) IWB or left front pocket

3) both

4) taurus 905 in the pocket, sig 225 orr 226 IWB

General Geoff
February 18, 2007, 01:45 AM
1. Absolutely.
2. OWB leather holster, 4 o'clock.
3. Typically autoloader, though i've carried a wheelgun on occasion before.
4. My daily CCW is my Smith & Wesson SW99 chambered in .40 cal. I love it because it fits my hand like a glove, and goes bang every time I've ever pulled the trigger.

Hemicuda
February 18, 2007, 02:16 AM

YES, what good is an unloaded gun? do you think the sound of the "racking slide" is a deterrant to the bad guy? are you SURE you'll have the time AND the ability to "rack one in" in the moment of need? load the darn thing, stick it in quality leather (or kydex) put it on a GOOD CCW belt, and carry it!

In a Galco Jak-Slide #915 MOST of the time... SOMETIMES in a fanny pack or a shoulder rig...

That depends... a J-frame Smitty conceals SO well... but if I have a covering garment, then a big Smitty semi-auto is great!

Just about ALWAYS a Smith & Wesson... a 420 .40 cal, a 4506 .45 cal, or a 637-2 .38 Spl+p gun...

craig
February 18, 2007, 02:34 AM
1. yes.
2. iwb appendix carry, and left front pocket with pocket holster.
3. i carry both
4. bersa .380 appendix, s&w649 in pocket

10 Ring Tao
February 18, 2007, 03:01 AM
Oy, you've been scared by all the guys posting about how they're afraid they can't keep their booger hooks of the bangswitch, haven't you?

1- Of course I carry with one in the chamber. Are you going to ask the badguy to not hold one of your hands/arms to allow you to rack the slide?

2- Either strongside IWB or a mousegun in the pocket.

3- I prefer to carry autos for the ammo capacity and thin width. However, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a wheelie if I'm restricted to 6 or fewer rounds.

4- Exact gun? If I'm in shorts and a tshirt or in formal dress, either a P3AT in the pocket, or kahr P9 covert IWB in a tuckable holster. When I'm wearing a sweater or sweatshirt or coat, a glock 19 IWB.

Don't waste your money on those saf-t-block things. If you're worried, or all the internet experts have you scared, just walk around with your gun cocked and with an empty chamber. If at night the trigger has been pulled, you know two things. One is irrelevant, and the second is that you better find a more secure way to carry the gun.

Johnny_Yuma
February 18, 2007, 03:49 AM
>>>1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?
Carrying with an empty chamber negates the whole purpose of having a weapon. I carry with one in the chamber.

>>>2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)?
I carry in a strong-side holster (meaning I am right-handed and carry on my right side) directly over my right hip. I wear a Blackhawk CQB SERPA holster. In the Summertime, I often wear a very thin Kydex inside-the-waistband holster under a shirt. The last few years have seen a surge in popularity of nice, casual summer shirts designed to be worn untucked. I take full advantage of that. When an untucked shirt is not an option, I wear a suit or a jacket. Contrary to what most men seem to think today, wearing a nice sports coat will not kill you and looks damned sharp.

>>>3. Do you prefer revolver or auto?
Semi-auto. I carry a snubnose revolver when jogging but a semi-auto pistol is my prefered weapon for reasons of capacity, concealability, and ease of follow-up shots, plus its the weapon my employer issued.

>>>4. What exact gun do you carry the most?
Glock Model 23, .40 S&W with 3-dot tritium sights.

>>>Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called?
Dunno, but it sounds like a good way to die in a gun-fight.

There are two alarming issues about your post. 1) you seem to be considering carrying an unloaded (no round in the chamber) weapon, and 2) you seem to be considering disabling your unloaded weapon with some sort of trigger-safety death-trap thingy. To me, this indicates you have some concern about negligent "accidental" discharges. It's good you are concerned, but carrying unloaded and using a trigger block are not suitable work-arounds for this issue.

Modern firearms simply do not discharge on their own. If they did, not one firearms manufacturer would be in business - this litigous society we live in would see them sued out of existence. Rest assured, even a cheap firearm will not spontaneously go "bang." Two issues that might contribute to an unintentional discharge are 1) a crappy holster, and 2) sticking your finger on the trigger before you are ready to shoot somebody (yes, shoot somebody). The solutions are simple and I don't mean this to be condescending: 1) buy a quality holster, and 2) don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Do a search on "holster" in this forum and you will find dozens, maybe hundreds of threads dealing with holsters. Start your research there. DO NOT ask some cop down at the 7-11 what sort of holster he carries off-duty. If he does carry off-duty, odds are he carries in an issued holster and has no idea what brand it is. I am a trainer for a federal agency and out of the three squads I am responsible for in-service training, I am the only one who has bought his own holster. The rest carry with whatever they are issued and don't even know what brand that is. COPS MAY NOT BE YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR ADVICE! You want a holster that fits your belt (or a belt that fits your holster), covers your weapon's trigger guard, and has some sort of retention characteristic. Your holster should have some sort of secure attachment for your belt. It should not have a steel clip like a cell-phone holster. Except for specialty items like fanny-packs or Kramer shirt-holsters, your holster should be designed specifically for your weapon make and model. Expect to spend between $50 for a well-made synthetic and up to $170 for a top-of-the-line leather holster. $50 sounds like a lot but I shake my head every time I see an $800 H&K in a $15 generic nylon holster. The FIST holster (Google it) Model 20 in thin Kydex is an excellent example of an inside-the-waistband holster that meets these criteria. The Galco FLETCH is an excellent leather "scabard" holster that won't set you back a month on your house payment. The Blackhawk SERPA holsters are economical and tough, but leave a little to be desired in the area of concealability.

Training. Training will help solve a lot of your concerns. Scratch that, GOOD training will help solve a lot of your concerns. If you are new to concealed carry, some additional training is worthwhile. Try and find a trainer who specializes in defensive shooting in your area, not one who will just have you shoot at bulls-eye targets. If you can find a training facillity that does Airsoft or Simunitions training, that is a big plus. When I went through my academy at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, we constantly had instructors reinforcing the no-finger-on-the-trigger rule, whether it was on the line, working with Simunitions, Red Guns (inert plastic training weapons), etc. Even if you can't afford professional training, or don't have a trainer near where you live, practice keeping your finger outside the trigger-well (part of "trigger discipline") when you are at the range. I like to draw on my target with my finger outside the trigger-well and wait until I conciously tell myself NOW the target presents a threat. THEN I slip my finger onto the trigger and prepare to fire. As soon as I'm done firing, I slip my finger back out of the trigger-well. I don't count the hits unless I used proper trigger discipline. Let me say that again: I don't count the hits unless I used proper trigger discipline. Constant reinforcement works. If you practice enough, and practice keeping your finger off that trigger until you are ready to shoot, you will pick up some pretty safe habits. Notice I didn't say you will "become comfortable." I point my weapon at people on a fairly regular basis. I've been doing so for over 10 years and I'm still not "comfortable" with it and I hope I never get to be. Every time I do it, I look forward to putting my weapon safely back in the holster after someone on my team has cuffed the bad guy. People who get too "comfortable" end up having negligent discharges.

Congratulations on getting your permit and best of luck in your training.

JY

possum
February 18, 2007, 04:08 AM
1) yes always, no need to do it any other way in my opinion.
2)on my right hip owb or in a shoulder holster.
3)auto
4)xd sub compact, and the kahr k-40 depending on what they weather is like.

i don't know but i would advise against them, if god forbid there is a time when you need to use your gun the less about of things you have to do, the less motor functions you have to do is better. use the best safety there is the one between your ears. and the one on the weapon if there is one.

10 Ring Tao
February 18, 2007, 04:09 AM
Yeah, everything johnny said that I didn't have the energy to type up myself. :D

Great primer on carrying. Now, lets hope the OP takes that and runs with it in his own reading, research and training.

Mortech
February 18, 2007, 04:51 AM
1) YES!!!

2) IWB strong side

3) Semiauto with occcasion revolver during hunting season at work (I love working here!)

4) S&W M&P40 , Taurus 85CH 38 Spec summer pocket carry , Taurus 669CP 357 Mag during hunting season at work

fspitzdorf
February 18, 2007, 08:03 AM
1. yes

2. IWB or Pocket - depends upon clothing choice of the day

3. Revolver

4. Good thing i'm secure in my manhood...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_6142.jpg

nemoaz
February 18, 2007, 11:51 AM

Of course. I kept waiting to see a response that said "Back in '38, the Army taught me to carry empty chamber when carrying one of those unsafe, hair-triggered 1911 .45s."

I cannot think of any weapon that I would carry that requires an empty chamber. The crappy little .25's and .22's are often unsafe to carry loaded, but I cannot think of a reason to ever own or carry one. Some don't like single action autos (me included) or safe actions (Glock etc) with light triggers. I wouldn't carry either without a good holster.

Right hip or fanny pack. I"m a little addicted to the fanny pack even though it is a fashion faux paus these days, but not so much in my town where there are mucho hikers, bikers, artsies, and tourists. It's nice to just grab my purse full of Sk, spare mag, light, wallet, phone, keys, etc. I don't have to find each item and stuff them in my pockets.

Occasionally on the ankle just to try it out, but I'm leaning towards selling the rig. Ankle should be backup gun only IMO.

I prefer auto but have carried both. Either does the job.

P2000sk .40. But it isn't my favorite gun by a long shot.

DirksterG30
February 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?Always; otherwise I'm carrying a very expensive impact weapon

Depends; at work, I carry in my right front pocket; most other times I carry inside waist band at about the 3:00-3:30 position

I prefer autoloaders

That's a toss-up between my P3AT in a pocket holster, and My CZ P-01 in a C-TAC inside the waisband holster.

Redneck with a 40
February 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
1) Yes, always one in the chamber
2) I carry with an el-cheapo Uncle Mike's IWB holster, it works.:D
3) I prefer an auto
4) I carry a Taurus Mil-Pro 40 in stainless, great pistol.

expvideo
February 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
1. Of course, it's a modern firearm and I'm not israeli.
2a. Kydex paddle holster with retention strap and kydex paddle mag pouch (2x).
2b. Safariland shoulder holster with 2 mag pouch.
2c. Mexican carry 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock.
3. It's 2007, what do you think.
4. Sig P226 9mm.

To that point, I'd like to add that a full size service style handgun will disappear under regular clothes if done propperly.

enfield
February 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
1. Always
2. IWB
3. Auto
4. SIG 239 .40

old4x4
February 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
1. Yes, Always
2. Belt Slide Holster
3. Auto currently, but moving toward revo's
4. Currently, Taurus PT145

pacodelahoya
February 18, 2007, 07:44 PM
Depends on what I'm carrying.

1911... cocked and locked owb at 4:00.

642 airweight... right front pocket.

Paints
February 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
1 - yes!

2 - IWB mostly, occassionally OWB around home

3 - semi auto 95% of the time

4- Sig P220 (.45)

I used to carry a compact 1911 cocked and locked, but I prefer the "no safety" of the Sig.

Ken

Handgun Midas
February 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
I always carry a fully loaded weapon.

I carry a few different ways. Usually at 4 o'clock OWB or IWB.
I often wear a shoulder holster and for around home I just tuck the gun into my pocket.
Extra magazine is usually OWB as well.

I only own autos now, but would like to try a .357 in the future.

I carry a .45 SA/DA autoloader.
Inexpensive, thin, and very safe.

Panthera Tigris
February 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? Always
2. How do you carry IWB
3. Do you prefer revolver or auto? Auto
4. What exact gun do you carry the most? still pending

Stevie-Ray
February 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
1.)Always!
2.)Front pocket, rear pocket, IWB, OWB, belly-band, depending on firearm
3.)Auto
4.)Kimber UCDP .45 mostly, KelTec P32 always

Also):confused:

brentwal
February 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? Yes
2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)? IWB
4. What exact gun do you carry the most? Glock 23

ArchAngelCD
February 18, 2007, 10:29 PM

1. I fully load my revolver
2. Front Pocket, Jacket Pocket, Inside the Jacket Pocket, IWB
3. I'm a Revolver Guy
4. S&W M638 5 shot .38+P

I don't know what you're talking about when you ask about something you stick behind the trigger but I wouldn't use anything that might complicate the numbers of steps needed to deploy a SD weapon. If it comes down to needing to draw and even fire your weapon you don't want to have to do too many things, you will be nervous enough and could make a mistake which could cost you your life.

evan price
February 19, 2007, 01:53 AM
1. Round chambered? Of course, full mag plus one in the pipe, decocked. Sig's safe action system lets you carry decocked but still ready to fire (it's DA/SA) but it won't fire even if you drop it on the hammer.
2. IWB in a Galco Waistband. OWB in a Don Hume belt slide or Fobus paddleback, usually strong side 4 o'clock or so, IWB/OWB depends on how deep cover I expect to need.
3. Semi auto usually for self defense, higher capacity in same size package, plus it's usually slimmer than a revolver and easier to conceal, faster to reload.
4. Sig-Sauer P239 with Hogue grips and Trijicon night sights.

rmurfster
February 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
(on my thigh when driving through/in Ohio)Ringer,

Good news, on March 14, the open carry requirement in Ohio is gone when HB 347 becomes law!

Cousin Mike
February 19, 2007, 12:40 PM

Always... dispite what some might say, in my personal opinion there's no advantage whatsoever (and countless disadvantages) to carrying an unloaded gun. It might take some time to get comfortable with, but if you're going to carry a gun, it needs to be ready in an instant.

I mostly carry OWB. I've found out over time that's just more comfortable for me, and with the way I usually dress concealment is not a problem. There are times when I need to carry IWB, and times I'll carry in a bellyband holster. You'll probably go through quite a few holsters before you find what works best with what style of dress, etc. My usual carry position is between 3 and 4 o'clock, strong side. It just depends on what I'm wearing and what's most comfortable/readily accessible.

I generally prefer autos, but every once in a while one of my revolvers will go on a ride with me. I like higher capacity and quicker reloads. I feel that todays quality autos are just as reliable as quality revolvers, and that today's ammo has pretty much leveled the playing field as far as SD is concerned.

It's been an interesting process so far... I started carrying a full sized 1911, then a Sig P220, which was often rotated with a Sig Pro, and now I carry a Glock 33 (in .357Sig). For me, the Glock is the perfect combo of capacity, firepower, size and weight. I never thought carrying a full-sized pistol (30+ oz., 4" + bbl) was a chore - until I strapped on this G33 for the first time. It's been a little over 2 months and my other guns haven't left the house. The Glock is the only gun I've ever carried that's so comfortable and light, I can almost forget it's there. A Fobus mag holder (w/2 9-round reloads) on my left side provides a perfect balance that makes carrying all day almost effortless.

My advice? Think small... it really is a lot easier to carry a small gun IMO. As always, YMMV.

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound like anything I'd want on any of my guns. :D

Eyesac
February 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
1) Yes
2) IWB holster
3) Auto
4) Glock 27 .40

Also) Don't know.

MD_Willington
February 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
1) Yes.
2) IWB holster
3) Auto
4) PT111 9x19

Also) A good way to shoot yourself...

Weimadog
February 19, 2007, 01:14 PM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? Yes
2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)? IWB holster
3. Do you prefer revolver or auto? Auto for primary, revolver for backup
4. What exact gun do you carry the most? P7M8

jcramin
February 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? yes locked and cocked
2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)? Paddle hoster
4. What exact gun do you carry the most? SW1911SC

silverking
February 19, 2007, 03:19 PM
1- Always carry with one in the pipe-------or------point your finger and yell BANG real loud!

2- Usually owb Galco with the auto-loader. Strong side about 4 oclock.
Inside vest pocket cross draw with the wheel gun.

3- I like both but would have to say the auto-loader is the preferred choice simply because of capacity.

4- Stoeger Cougar 8000 in 9mm. The BUG is my S&W J-frame 642 38 spc.

IndianaBoy
February 19, 2007, 03:21 PM
1. Yes
2. IWB
3. Auto
4. Sig p225

Chuck R.
February 19, 2007, 03:34 PM
1. Yes
2. IWB Sparks VMII
3. Auto
4. Les Baer Stinger

Chuck
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/X-Mas060972.jpg

Mandirigma
February 20, 2007, 01:03 AM
1. Yes
2. Glock33 Front Pocket, SS, IWB 2o'clock, 5" 1911 IWB either 2o'clock or 5o'clock
3. Auto, never owned a revolver
4. G33, lot hotter and humid for longer periods of the year.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 20, 2007, 01:19 AM
1. Yes
2. IWB at 3-4 oclock, Bianchi "The Proffesional" size 10A
3. Autos
4. Taurus Millennium Pro, .40SW

On a side note, I see a lot of "if you don't carry with one in the chamber, you shouldn't carry at all", "a unchambered weapon is an empty/unloaded weapon" and "an unchambered weapon is only as good as a rock" type responses.

Those are all wrong. Is an empty chamber as ready as one in the pipe? No. Is it as smart as learning to be confident with one in the chamber? Again, No. But it is in no way "empty" or " as good as a rock". That is absurd. An empty magazine makes a weapon empty. Slide lock and shells on the ground makes a weapon empty. No live rounds in the chamber OR magazine makes a weapon empty. A weapon with live rounds in a magazine, loaded into the weapon is NOT empty. It's not as ready to go as being chambered, but it's not empty. And as for it being as good as a rock, last time I checked, there is no slide on a rock that if I pull it in less than a second, it's able to expel other rocks at a target at 1200 fps.

As to carrying with one in the chamber.............. Don't buy or carry any gun you don't feel safe carrying with one in the chamber.

No one on this forum or elsewhere has the right to tell any other law abiding citizens that they shouldn't carry. Especially only based of their choice of carry. Period.

1- Always carry with one in the pipe-------or------point your finger and yell BANG real loud!

Or take a 1/10th of a second to rack the slide and let the live rounds in the magazine go BANG for you.

jrfoxx
February 20, 2007, 04:13 AM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? yes
2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)? OWB 98% of the time
4. What exact gun do you carry the most? Firestorm .45acp 1911

grimjaw
February 20, 2007, 04:50 AM
1. Yes, I carry with one in the chamber.
2. Majority of the time it's right side 3-4 o'clock, half and half IWB/OWB.
3. Prefer autos with a consistent trigger pull, so either SA or DA only not both. I try not to practice SA revolver either.
4. Carry a Glock 19. Only other handgun I'm planning to keep is a Ruger SP101 in 9mm.

jm

BenjaminR
February 20, 2007, 05:48 AM

Yes, cocked & locked.

Sometimes 3 o'clock with my Galco Concealable (OWB), sometimes 4 or 6 o'clock with my kydex IWB holster. I'm new at this and still trying to figure out which works best. When I can wear something extra loose like a jacket, I like the Galco Concealable.

Definately an auto. I've never really cared for revolvers except for my dad's old S&W .357 mag.

Springfield GI .45 5".

HMMurdock
February 20, 2007, 06:00 AM
Q: Do you carry with one in the chamber?
A: If I didn't I'd be holstering an $800 paperweight.

Q: How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)?
A: Strong-side waist.

Q: Do you prefer revolver or auto?
A: Revolver for self-defense and Auto for tactical situations (I serve fugitive warrants).

Q: What exact gun do you carry the most?
A: Sig-Sauer P220R .45ACP with DAK trigger.

Q: Also, what are those little trigger safety things that you can stick behind the trigger to keep it from depressing then just pop it out when your ready to shoot called?
A: A death-trap.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 20, 2007, 06:05 AM
That would be the first paperweight I've ever heard of that can project lead pellets at 1200 fps.

HMMurdock
February 20, 2007, 06:07 AM
My point is a pistol without a round in the chamber isn't projecting anything. That's like having a race car with no gas in the tank but a full gas can in the trunk.

By the time you lock and load whatever put you in that situation will have killed you.

In response to Taurusowner's "No one on this forum or elsewhere has the right to tell any other law abiding citizens that they shouldn't carry. Especially only based of their choice of carry. Period." again, I disagree. If you aren't comfortable with your firearm you will hurt yourself and/or someone else. If that is the case, you shouldn't carry. Period. It is careless people like that that give the anti-gun campaign their fuel for legislation to take away the firearms of the RESPONSIBLE, law abididing citizens.

In response to "Or take a 1/10th of a second to rack the slide and let the live rounds in the magazine go BANG for you." you must have an amazing response time. Unless you're the one initiating the confrontation, anyone assaulting you has the advantage because they have already taken the first step. You need every advantage to draw and defend yourself. Which is faster? Draw, aim, fire ...or... draw, grab slide, rack slide, aim, fire.? If someone invades my house and the house of someone without a loaded, "hot" firearm let's see who stands the better chance at surviving. Not to mention the "Oh, ****" factor of the emergency at hand to cloud your judgement. Too many people die each year not getting their safety off of their firearm in an emergency, much less racking a slide. I'm reasonably well-trained and I refuse to take that risk.

If it were up to me I'd say let Darwinism thin the flock.

TRL

bigtuna
February 20, 2007, 06:10 AM

1. Yes, always. Both my carry guns have a round chambered.
2. I carry my Glock 19 9mm in a Don Hume 721 outside belt holster, at about 4 o'clock. I carry my Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, in my front right pants pocket
3. I would actually prefer revolver, if not for the bulkiness of the cylinder
4. Glock 19 9mm is my primary, and Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 backup.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 20, 2007, 06:30 AM
You know, I've read probably more than 100 different "have you ever had to pull your gun" stories on this website alone, and I can't think of a single one that involved a quick-draw-and-fire. At all.

But that's not the point I was ever making. People are saying that an chambered weapon is utterly useless. That is 1000000% false. Put anyone on this board up against a mugger. Offer them a weapon with a loaded mag, but nothing in the chamber or a rock. Guess what they'll pick. Offer them a weapon with a loaded mag, but nothing in the chamber or a weapon with an empty mag. Guess what they'll pick. An empty weapon is just that. Empty. No rounds. At all. Rounds in a mag does not equal empty.

HMMurdock, you're up against a mugger and I offer you a P220 with a full mag in one hand, and a really expensive paperweight in the other. You're telling me that it's a toss up which one you pick? That there is really no difference in the damage each can do?

"Quick Murdock! I've got a 220 or a paperweight! Pick one"
"Give me the gun!"
"I gotta warn you, it's only got a full mag, nothing in the chamber"
"Oh never mind, it doesn't matter, you pick"

Riiiggghhhhttt

I'm not saying that unchamberd is the best way to carry. Or even a good way to carry. But it IS better than a rock, or a paper weight. And a full mag will never equal empty.

PS, And I'm looking forward to hearing how one leaving a round OUT of the chamber makes them more dangerous and careless.

HMMurdock
February 20, 2007, 09:42 AM
I'd pick the paperweight because the statistics raise for you being killed by a gun if youre carrying one. It makes you a target and I'd rather not have the fase sense of mind to go for a dead weight than putting the pedal to the metal and getting the **** out of dodge.

An unloaded firearm IS a paperweight, whether I had the choice or not.

Despite the "never had to use my gun" scenario, I HAVE had to draw in a self defense situation. Twice and neither of which has been during warrants. I'm just glad I'm alive to tell the tale.

Unloaded chamber is the trademark of an amateur or a Mall Ninja. There's only two reasons to carry a gun, one for self defense and the other to show it off to your friends. Without it being primed it's no good for self defense so that leaves the immature, dangerous reason.

Don't become a statistic. It takes me near two full seconds to draw from a concealed position and fire with a reasonable aim. It takes me almost another two full seconds to grip the slide and rack it. It takes whoever initiated the confrontation less than one seconds to squeeze the trigger. Do the math.

Which would I rather have in an emergency, a paperweight or an unchambered sidearm? Trick question, hotshot, they're the same thing.

Carrying a firearm on your person makes you a target and --check it-- raises your statistics of being killed by a gun. If you just want it around for utility then don't carry it on your person, keep it in the car or home and fetch it when you "might" need one. Because that's the ONLY good an unchambered handgun is.

Dear friend, I'm afraid we have hijacked the original thread. I'm done, so I'll let you get in the last word and then we can get back to the original topic of the posting. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Remember: Think before you act but don't take too long to do either.

TRL

Essex County
February 20, 2007, 12:54 PM
Absolutely. Usually carry J Frame, pocket holster, front right pants pocket. Autoloader, 1911 or Star BM cocked and locked OWB.........Essex

romma
February 20, 2007, 02:57 PM
A fun, informative, constructive thread! Lotsa ways to carry, overwhelming consensus is to always carry with one in the chamber... If you have to draw, you probably will have to shoot immediately. It would suck dying second guessing anyway...

Ringer
February 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Ringer,

Good news, on March 14, the open carry requirement in Ohio is gone when HB 347 becomes law!

Good deal, thanks for the heads up. I need to check on the OCC website more often as I go to Ohio a couple times a year.

spencerhut
February 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
1. Loaded and Locked
2. OWB in a Bianchi holster - I wear a lot of Hawaiian shirts untucked.
3. Auto
4. .40 S&W FN Hi-Power

atek3
February 20, 2007, 05:37 PM
Six in the Mag, Plus one in the Chamber.
Inside a Nemesis pocket holster, front pocket
Auto, everytime.
Keltec P3-AT

Also) Safe-T-Blok... AKA get killed when you actually try to deploy your gun in a self-defense situation... Just get a holster that covers the trigger guard and forget about it...

falling leaves
February 20, 2007, 06:11 PM
1. Yes - cocked & locked.
2. Leather strongside IWB mostly, occasionally kydex paddle strongside when concealability isn't as important.
3. Semi-auto.
4. FM Hi-Power Detective in 9mm.

Machete
February 20, 2007, 06:30 PM
One of the reasons I was concerned with one in the chamber is that I'm carrying a kel-tec p3-at. This gun is double action only with no safety. Also the reason I was thinking of the trigger block. I'm carrying it in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Do you guys think that'll be safe enough. Just call me paranoid.

atek3
February 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
machete, that's my exact setup... carried with a round in the chamber.... Don't worry about it... it's a very safe setup.

atek3

ShooterMcGavin
February 20, 2007, 08:55 PM

1. Yes.
However, when I am breaking in a new holster, I will carry with an empty chamber for a day or two. I have read of problems with Glock holsters causing NDs in the past. If the discharge is caused by my faulty new holster, it is still negligent!!! It would happen because I did not properly test the holster for its contact with the trigger, and that is not an accident. I do not agree that my choice makes me dangerous, careless, or otherwise unsafe to carry.

Always carry with one in the pipe-------or------point your finger and yell BANG real loud!
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with spending some time becoming comfortable with your carry method.... BUT, proper gun handling and carrying with a round chambered is still the safest option.

2. IWB. I'm using a cheap Uncle Mike's holster until I have a custom one picked and built.

3. Semi-auto. No cylinder bulk, more capacity, and faster reloads.

4. S&W M&P40 full size

AlaskaErik
February 21, 2007, 04:02 AM

If you don't carry one in the pipe all you have is an expensive piece of metal.

OWB crossdraw holster in the winter. Front right pocket in the summer.

Auto all the way.

Glock 23 in the winter. Kahr PM40 in the summer.

Sistema1927
February 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
1. Do you carry with one in the chamber? Yes, always

2. How do you carry (Front pocket, back pocket, inside waist band, etc)? Mainly front strong side pocket in a Desantis nemesis pocket holster

3. Do you prefer revolver or auto? Most of the time an auto, occasionally a revolver

4. What exact gun do you carry the most? Kahr PM9 or S&W 642

GeorgiaGlocker
February 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
Always
IWB
Auto
Glock19/23/26 (They take turns so none of them will get jealous.)

TOADMAN
February 21, 2007, 04:21 PM
1. Always
2. Mostly OWB belt & holster.. Sometimes pocket..
3. No prefrence
4. Glock 26 or S&W 642..

Linda
February 21, 2007, 07:55 PM
1) Always, but I worked up to that after I had a comfort and confidence level to do so. Now, there is no other way!
2)IWB-Kramer Leather horsehide/sheepskin lined :p
3) auto only
4) Colt .45 Defender :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal Carry Preferences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!