Molon Labe - 300... amazing preview

PDA

Sean Dempsey
February 17, 2007, 08:38 PM
Here it is, the phrase that so many have come to look at as the embodiment of gun ownership.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/300/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1912040&playerType=playlist

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe - 300... amazing preview" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
February 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
I can only hope that this cartoonish movie has captured the valor of the men who stopped the Persians and the importance of their deaths to our now still-fledgling Western Democracy as a concept of Rule.

These 300 men could have easily been "Barons" or "Dukes" under Persian rule. The "reasonable" politicians in Athens abandoned them, yet they chose to die fighting for freedom.

From the "Gates of Fire":

"In 480 BC the forces of the Persian Empire under King Xerxes, numbering according to Herodotus two million men, bridged the Hellespoint and marched in their myrids to invade and enslave Greece...

...The Spartans and their Thespian allies died to the last man, but the standard of valor they set by their sacrifice inspired the Greeks to rally and, in that fall and spring, defeat the Persians at Salamis and Plataea and preserve the beginnings of Western democracy and freedom from perishing in the cradle..."

Before the battle of Thermopyle, Ptammitechus (an Egyptian Marine) shows a map similar to a group of Spartans at Rhodes. Pointing out how large the Persian empire is and how small Greece is in comparison. "...Listen to me brothers. The race of Egyptians is an ancient one...We have ruled and been ruled. Even now we are technically a conquered people, we serve the Persians. Yet regard my station friends. Do I look poor? Is my demeanor dishonored? Peer here within my purse. With all respect, brothers, I could buy and sell you and all you own with only that which I bear upon my person....His Majesty will honor you Spartans no less than us Egyptians, or any other great warrior people, should you see wisdom and enlist yourselves voluntarily beneath his banner. In the East we have learned that which you Greeks have not. The wheel turns, and man must turn with it. To resist is not mere folly, but madness."

"You have never tasted freedom, friend," Dienekes (a Spartan) spoke, "or you would know it is purchased not with gold, but steel...And as for the wheel you speak of, like every other, it turns both ways."

It seems to me that we're still fighting that fight against those who don't accept or understand liberty and who want only to destroy Western culture.

telomerase
February 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
It seems to me that we're still fighting that fight against those who don't accept or understand liberty and who want only to destroy Western culture.

Most of us are paying taxes to support those who are destroying Western culture (e.g., those who run the Aid To Dependent Dictator programs). Especially those of us living in MN (are we the 4th-highest-taxed still, or did we move up to 3rd?).

cyberhh
February 19, 2007, 01:43 AM
I am more excited about this movie than any movie in years. Excellent story - the story of the 300 is bravery and honor personified. Frank Miller is one of the best writers of our time (IMHO) and the style of the movie is epic. An opening day flick for sure.

Cosmoline
February 19, 2007, 01:54 AM
Don't expect it to reflect history. It's a comic book, nothing more. There will be plenty of oiled preening and posturing in slow motion while heavy metal plays.

mordechaianiliewicz
February 19, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'm betting it will either be very good or very bad.

4v50 Gary
February 19, 2007, 01:58 AM
The sword wielded by Leonidas didn't look right. Didn't see any breastplates in the preview either. Bad eyes? I thought the Lacadaemonians/Spartiates/Spartans kept their hair long and brushed them before the battle. I thought the Lambda on the shields were painted on and not embossed. What the heck! It's Hollywood and it's for entertainment, not education. Looking forward to this one.

thexrayboy
February 19, 2007, 02:04 AM
If the entire movie is as the trailers are it should be worth the price of admission.

Feanaro
February 19, 2007, 02:59 AM
Having read the comic, I can say that it will be an excellent movie if it lives up to that standard. It's still more entertainment than history lessons. The Spartans, for example, carry not a stitch of clothing besides a cape and sometimes(!) a bit of hide to gird their loins. No armor apart from a shield and a helmet. And there is some freedom talk. No doubt the Spartans were fighting for such but it wouldn't quite match the modern concept.

Cosmoline
February 19, 2007, 03:31 AM
I'm warning you people! Watch this film and the next thing they'll be making a movie about Gettysburg where a half naked Brad Pitt as Lee fights Lincoln, who's a CGI mutant with rifle muskets for arms and a top hat cannon.

horge
February 19, 2007, 03:44 AM
Errr...

Look up the word laconic, and its etymology.
Then observe movie's trailer for the manner in which its "Spartans" express themselves.
Think this new movie is purely FEPO (for entertainment puposes only)?

Naaaaahhh, couldn't be.

:)
horge

Zoogster
February 19, 2007, 06:20 AM
A modern movie, even if made more historical, about the Spartans could never be portrayed accurately and still sell in our nation.

To put it simply, the Spartans were a strange people with a very different culture. They put newborns with any defects or not considered to be ideal or strong enough to be a warrior out for the animals to eat. It was expected that adult men would have sexual relationships with male children, and adult women would take a young female lover into the home. In fact there was even a fine for adult men who did not have a boy lover. Thirteen year old boys were sent off and expected to steal and kill to survive in the countryside as a right of passage.

So to say an accurate portrayal of Spartans would not be tolerated or successful, or relatable to modern society is an understatement.

Thier fearsome reputation in battle, and absolute loyalty to Sparta, and sense of honor that they are known for aside, most people do not really want to see thier culture in a movie. The simply want to see modern family structure, and moral concepts, in an ancient context, filled with battle and romance.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 19, 2007, 06:24 AM
I'll be honest, I never read the book or comic book or whatever. I never even heard of this until I saw the previews. No, I don't mean I never heard the actual historical story, I mean I never heard of the "300" adaptation.

Judging by the previews, it looks like it's going to be a really cheesy cartoon flop. The Persians as monsters? Are you kidding me? It's gonna bomb.

Wasz
February 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
People have been waiting for this movie for a while. The audience its geared for doesnt really care about history or even if it is a real story. Huge battles with crazy monsters is going to sell.

mrmeval
February 19, 2007, 06:56 AM
Really, frame by frame.

It may capture the spirit but I doubt there's a valid costume or weapon in it.

It's a time honored tradition to inflate stories.

Lemme tell you about the 18 foot horned catfish that gored my friend Bob...

One of the few films I'll actually go to a real theater to see.

jenniferjane
February 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
People who are expecting historical accuracy are going to be disappointed - this isn't a historical movie. It is a comic book adaption. Taken with that in mind, it looks like a fun movie.

Good find on this clip - thanks for posting it!

Jen

The Grand Inquisitor
February 19, 2007, 12:59 PM
It seems that there are plenty of people who are interested in using this film and the general story about the the Spartan war with Persia (which is probably apocryphal at best as we know it) as a methaphor for the current campaign "we" are fighting against the Islamic world.

ctdonath
February 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
I just read the graphic novel a few minutes ago.
The movie, from the trailers, is obviously 100% based on the book, right down to the wrong swords and near-complete absence of clothing.
The book is short enough that they can actually film the whole thing accurately and still come in within allowed time. Comparing trailers to pages, I'm expecting a shot-for-picture exact correlation.

No, it's not meant to be historically accurate. It's inspiring artistic historical drama. Cope.

El Tejon
February 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
Pressfield made that horrific golf:barf: book, Bagger Vance, into a movie. Why can't he have Gates of Fire made into a movie?:(

Despite the WASP mug, I'd be a great Dienekes, or even Dithyrambos.:) :cool:

"Mr. Tejon, we're ready for your close up.":D

wooderson
February 19, 2007, 03:20 PM
When I first saw the preview a few months back, I was pretty sure it would be terrible.

I am convinced.

(But I hated Sin City too, so I guess I'm not the audience.)

spooney
February 19, 2007, 03:30 PM
I am totally stoked for this movie. As excited as I have been in a long time.

Thin Black Line
February 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
To put it simply, the Spartans were a strange people with a very different culture. They put newborns with any defects or not considered to be ideal or strong enough to be a warrior out for the animals to eat. It was expected that adult men would have sexual relationships with male children, and adult women would take a young female lover into the home. In fact there was even a fine for adult men who did not have a boy lover. Thirteen year old boys were sent off and expected to steal and kill to survive in the countryside as a right of passage.

On top of that theirs was a very stratified society where the spartan warriors
were the only ones who did carry the weapons, had a slave sub-population,
and rountinely carried out progroms to keep their sub-populations in check.

Not exactly the kind of guys we should be glorifying, huh?

Also, I find the timing of the this movie interesting given our current state
of international affairs with the Persians.

Some more info on Sparta:

After the ephors were introduced, they, together with the two kings, were the executive branch of the state. Ephors themselves had more power than anyone in Sparta, although the fact that they only stayed in power for a single year reduced their ability to conflict with already established powers in the state. Since reelection was not possible, an ephor who abused his power, or confronted an established power center, would have to suffer retaliation. The difference with today's states is that Sparta had a special policy maker, the gerousia, a council consisting of 28 elders over the age of 65, elected for life and usually part of the royal households, and the two kings. High state policy decisions were discussed by this council who could then propose action alternatives to the Damos, the collective body of Spartan citizenry, who would select one of the alternatives by voting.

Not all inhabitants of the Spartan state were considered to be citizens (part of Damos). Only the ones that had followed the military training, called the agoge, were eligible. However, the only people eligible to receive the agoge were Spartiates, or people who could trace their ancestry to the original inhabitants of the city. Others in the state were the Perioeci, who can be described as civilians, and Helots who were state owned serfs. Due to the fact that descendants of non-Spartan citizens were not able to follow the agoge, and Spartans could lose their citizenship if they couldn't afford to pay the expenses of the agoge, the actual number of the Spartan citizens was constantly reduced, known as oliganthropia.

So it was an increasingly smaller number of people who could possess weapons in that society. ;)

Biker
February 19, 2007, 03:47 PM
Good Gawd!! How'd they ever get around to making babies?

Biker

steveracer
February 19, 2007, 03:58 PM
Remember, all stories are true, some actually happened. I liked The Da Vinci Code, too, but it wasn't ecactly science.
How many watched and enjoyed JFK? It was a great film, and not a great piece of historical fact.
If you aren't going to go to a movvie, because it's not historically correct, sit at home and watch The Hitler Channel (or is it the History Channel? Can't tell.)
This will be a great movie like the Springfield Armory GI is a great pistol. Not historically accurate, but still really sweet.
Steve

tuckerdog1
February 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
The preview I saw last night said it was in IMAX. Hope it makes it to the IMAX around here. I'm gonna plunk down my $10 or $12 bucks & bet I enjoy it.

Tuckerdog1

Wayne02
February 19, 2007, 04:12 PM
Are there any good looking women in this film? Who is in the cast for the film?

MechAg94
February 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
I didn't like the blatant unreality of the preview. We'll see.

Justin
February 19, 2007, 05:18 PM
We've already had several threads on this movie.

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe - 300... amazing preview" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!