question for 30-30 win 94 owners

PDA

s&w 24
June 5, 2003, 03:15 PM
What Kind of accuracy do you get from your rifle? What kind of ammo do you like? I was shooting my Dad's 94 and accuracy was
OK but not great(3" 100 yds from a bench 150 gr hand loads.)

If you enjoyed reading about "question for 30-30 win 94 owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waynzwld
June 5, 2003, 03:25 PM
Is that with open sights? Most people shoot about 3" @ 100 yds with open sights. The only way to really tell is to put a scope on it.

ShaiVong
June 5, 2003, 03:45 PM
I got 5" at 50 yards with my grandpappy's, using factory loads.

six 4 sure
June 5, 2003, 06:42 PM
I managed a 1" group at 100 yards with mine using 170gr cheap factory Federal loads (more luck than skill). I have since had the barrel recrowned, but haven't had the chance to shoot.

Six

s&w 24
June 5, 2003, 07:26 PM
yes that was with open sights (buckhorn rear and bead front) So are you all saying 3" @ 100 yds is normal ? is there any hope of geting 4" to 5" groups at 200 yds?

Lucky Jim
June 5, 2003, 07:58 PM
I guess it would all depend on how worn or dirty the barrel was, or is, and lots of other things. I would put a receiver sight on it if I wanted the best out of open sights. I shoot 165 grain cast gas checked bullets with 33 grains of 748 powder and get 4 to 6" groups at 200 yards with Lyman receiver sight. My 94 made in 1978 has a long throat and i load single rounds only that I have seated the bullets long. I have a better choice of bullets this way and am not stuck with flat nose bullets. It is not a target gun and was not meant to be, but it is good enough for hunting as long as I don't try to get much past 200 yards. It will shoot much farther, but I use it for what it is and it is a short range rifle.

bad_dad_brad
June 5, 2003, 08:10 PM
3 to 5 inches open sites 50 to 100 yards with a Win Ranger model. Remington 150 gr ammo. About the same as a Mini-14 accuracy wise. I do love that little cowboy lever action and it is one of my favorite rifles to have fun with.

Wanna get better? - shoot an AR-15 with open sites. I am always impressed by this rifle's accuracy. But man, you gotta keep it clean.

Scopes of course improve things a lot, especially for old eyes like mine.

Poodleshooter
June 6, 2003, 05:26 PM
I can keep them in about 5" at 100 yds with iron sights from the bench. The sights on mine are terrible-the white triangle that "points" to the 'u' notch is actually off center.
A scope changes the whole equation. I can keep them in about 2" with a 4x scope.
I shoot handloads mostly. They're slightly better than the factory ammo as far as accuracy, but I haven't shot much factory ammo through it.

TallPine
June 6, 2003, 06:49 PM
What's 3 inches on a deer's chest?

MLH
June 6, 2003, 07:02 PM
If your looking for long range get something different that you can put a scope on easier. Besides you can never have too many guns.:D

David4516
June 7, 2003, 05:20 AM
" is there any hope of geting 4" to 5" groups at 200 yds?"

Hold on there. This is not a gun that is really meant to be used at that range. I consider it a 100 yard or less rifle. It makes a great brush gun.

My model 94 was made in the 50's, and it likes handloaded ammo (150 gr Remington Coreloks and H335 powder are a good combo). I have taken it on alot of deer hunting trips over the years and it has served me well. There is a reason that they still make these things after 100 years...

If you enjoyed reading about "question for 30-30 win 94 owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!