Sam Elliott--Rifleman

PDA

Cosmoline
February 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/sam-elliott-1.jpg

I haven't seen "Thank You For Smoking" yet, but I found that pic of Sam Elliott with a very nice looking Winchester and what appeared to be custom sights. I poked around a little bit and found this:

“I went to meet him in Malibu amidst the heavy rains of late 2004. His neighbour’s roof had caved in in the middle of the night and he had spent every hour since then fixing it. He is the closest thing to the noble cowboy that I’ve ever met. He is Shane!

“For close to three hours, we debated whether or not his character should take the money. I almost found myself in the role of Nick Naylor, trying to convince him to do it. After a while, we settled on his character taking the payoff as written - with one stipulation. Instead of Lorne carrying a shotgun, as described in the book, he preferred the character to have a rifle. Fine.

“We get to the day of shooting and I have completely forgotten about the choice of firearms. I’m eating breakfast when I’m told that props would like to see me about choosing the gun. I get to the prop truck and the property master is standing above two shotguns and a rifle. Thank God. Sam happens to be there as well. He picks up the rifle.

“I asked, ‘Will this work for you?’ “He responds, ‘Sure.’

“I continued, ‘Do you need them to show you how it works?’

“He gives me a look, then says, ‘Of course not. It’s my gun.’”

http://www.preview-online.com/w2006/feature_articles/smoking/page2.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Sam Elliott--Rifleman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
panther22
February 21, 2007, 08:42 AM
I've always liked Sam.

ojibweindian
February 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
Ditto.

High Planes Drifter
February 21, 2007, 10:49 AM
+1

DoubleTapDrew
February 21, 2007, 03:55 PM
I don't think anyone can play a cowboy as well as he can (currently).

vintage68
February 21, 2007, 04:01 PM
He's one of my favorites. Sure wish they'd cast HIM in Shooter (the film adaptation of "Point of Impact" )instead of Marky Mark for chirssakes!

He'd make a perfect Bob Lee Swagger...

Swampy
February 21, 2007, 04:08 PM
I don't think anyone can play a cowboy as well as he can (currently).

He's good, no doubt.

I think Selleck does OK, and I was pretty impressed by Robert Duvall in "Open Range".

Best regards to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

redneckrepairs
February 21, 2007, 04:12 PM
Having worked closely with Sam on a remote set in southeast colorado I can say from personal knoledge that he is the absolute deffinition of a gentleman. A fella who deeply cares for all around him, and willing to go the extra mile ( to exhaustion ) for his fans. Sam is also an avid and vocal ( in his personal life ) supporter of the 2nd. Quite a contrast from Woddy Harlson who was also in the film and on site. It is to my regret that the filming scedule did not allow for any shooting excursions while he was here.

To address the post , from the angle of the pic the rear sight appears to me to be the old style buckhorn rear sight.

ryoushi
February 21, 2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.cinemovies.fr/images/data/photos/P45471958699807.jpg
The Stranger: There's just one thing, Dude.
The Dude: And what's that?
The Stranger: Do you have to use so many cuss words?
The Dude: The %#@! you talking about?
The Stranger: Okay, Dude. Have it your way.

Cosmoline
February 21, 2007, 04:36 PM
To address the post , from the angle of the pic the rear sight appears to me to be the old style buckhorn rear sight.

Yeah, but there's something else attached to it. There appears to be a flip-up aperture sight that's laying forwards and works off the same pin that the buckhorn/tangent sight works off of. I've seen a lot of '94 sights and I've never seen anything quite like that.

Eyesac
February 21, 2007, 04:36 PM
"the dude abides..."

By the way, I've seen that "Thank you for smoking" movie, and it turns out to be a pretty good movie with some strong libertarian values... I enjoyed it.

ny32182
February 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
I recently saw "Thank you for Smoking", and it is pretty good/funny. Sam Elliot's role is pretty small though. The main character does a good job.

Watching it, I wondered if it was based on a true story or not, though it never says that it is. It does portray the tobacco industry in a pretty bad light... and that of alcohol and firearms too, but to a much lesser extent.

AK103K
February 21, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but there's something else attached to it. There appears to be a flip-up aperture sight that's laying forwards and works off the same pin that the buckhorn/tangent sight works off of. I've seen a lot of '94 sights and I've never seen anything quite like that.
I think what your seeing is part of his shirt collar, just ahead of the base of the sight at the dovetail. The sight looks to be a plain old buckhorn to me.

redneckrepairs
February 21, 2007, 06:10 PM
Donno bud on the sight , but going from the pic ( i did zoom it and look again ) its an old style buckhorn . No apature or flipup of any kind . Besides Sam is a gun owner and shooter , with the story about it being his rifle , he wouldnt put an apature up there anyway he knows too much about rifles and shooting .

Kaylee
February 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
oooh... just som'n about a crusty ol' man holdin a rifle like he knows how to use it. :)

Neat to hear there's still some good men in Hollywood.

Cosmoline
February 21, 2007, 08:24 PM
Maybe, but you can see the metal edge of something and light coming through a hole.

he wouldnt put an apature up there anyway he knows too much about rifles and shooting .

Ever heard of Mojo? It's actually a very good place to put a large aperture.

redneckrepairs
February 21, 2007, 08:27 PM
LOL kaylee , honestly Sam leaves you feeling enriched from having met him . I am fairly cynical but sam impressed me with the limited dealings i have had with him .

AK103K
February 21, 2007, 09:10 PM
Maybe, but you can see the metal edge of something and light coming through a hole.
I think the light your seeing is a reflection off the front edge of the sight at the dovetail. If you look at the rest of the rifle, you'll see similar spots on the barrel band, mag tube and muzzle, at about the same orientation. I still think your looking at a standard buckhorn type rear sight.

Cosmoline
February 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
Somebody will have to ask Sam :D

Bigfoot
February 21, 2007, 10:01 PM
I enjoy watching him in every role that I see. And everytime I see him I ask myself, why do I see him so rarely? But, if I was an actor, with the values that I hold, I'd stay as far away from Hollyweird as I could. Maybe he's made enough to get him by already. Still, it's too bad because most movies that I see could use some down-to-earth, low-key but don't-mess-with-me Sam Elliott style. Heck most movies that I see these days could use a decent script.

Oh, the topic. I think that's a piece of material of some kind on the bottom side of his collar.

Cosmoline
February 22, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I think I'm seeing things. OTOH I think my mirage is kind of a cool idea. It gives me an idea--WINMOJO.

AK103K
February 22, 2007, 07:12 AM
Do you think there is an advantage of the Mojo over the AO or old Lyman type peeps? I have both of the latter, and they work very well.

I've never actually shot a Mojo, but I did fabricate something temporary and similar on an AK's rear sight to see if it was viable. Didnt work very well for me.

Cosmoline
February 22, 2007, 02:32 PM
The advantage would be speed. A large aperture further out will be faster than a smaller aperture closer to the eye. So the slowest would be tang, then receiver, then mojo style. But it would be for short range shooting.

AK103K
February 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
My rear mounted peeps are either a large ghost ring, in the case of the AO, or the aperture disc has been removed from the Lyman. They are very fast and require no "looking for", as you are looking through them and dont even know they are there. I cant imagine the Mojo would be easier or faster, and I still found myself trying to line up two sights when trying it out.

The other issue I ran into was, where does your brain try to put the front sight? I had the same problem with a ghost ring pistol sight I was trying. With a close to the eye peep, there is no thought, as you only see the front sight, but when you see both, its a different story. Your brain tries to align them and its distracting.

Cosmoline
February 22, 2007, 04:39 PM
Well everybody has their preference. I hate tang sights, for example.

AK103K
February 22, 2007, 04:48 PM
Me too. :)

3sixbits
February 22, 2007, 05:02 PM
It must be my eyes have gone bad, but it sure looks like one of the ultra rare collar button sight.:neener:

arthurcw
February 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
D'oh!

cyberhh
February 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with vintage. Point of Impact (the Shooter) was an excellent story as it was written, no computers, a general dislike of technology was part of the character as written. Marky Mark, while a fine actor, is nothing close to how Bob Lee Swagger was written. Besides, how could he be a Vietnam War hero?

sm
February 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
Looks exactly like my Model 94 , and my sight is

Moderator Kaylee here,
Excuse me folks this is Moderator business

Steve whisper mumble something whisper

Err, umm, well Kaylee, ma'am, first off I don't recall being called "crusty" (often), I do know how to use a '94, yes truth is I do have a Southern drawl, but I ain't 'that' old and ....

Sniper X
February 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Somone mentioned Tom Selleck, he IS the real deal as wel as a good actor at it. I saw him at Gunsite twice and he is a shooter, and can ride well. I seem to remember he really has and shoots the gun he used in the movie Quigley Down Under. I think it is a 45-120 Sharps.

Cosmoline
February 23, 2007, 05:52 PM
He sure is.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/Toms.jpg

arthurcw
February 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
Looks exactly like my Model 94 , and my sight is

Moderator Kaylee here,
Excuse me folks this is Moderator business

Steve whisper mumble something whisper

Err, umm, well Kaylee, ma'am, first off I don't recall being called "crusty" (often), I do know how to use a '94, yes truth is I do have a Southern drawl, but I ain't 'that' old and ....

This thread needs to be made a sticky, just for that post!

koja48
February 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
Lost the point of the thread, but since The Duke and Jimmy Stewart are riding the Eternal Range now, my vote goes to Selleck, Elliott, and Duvall. Now 'scuse me, so this crusty, be-mustached old shooter who knows how to use a gun goes out and buys himself a lever-action repeater . . . I need all the help I can get . . . Oops, forgot Gary Cooper, whom my Father knew & hunted with . . . sorry, Dad.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sam Elliott--Rifleman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!