I'm heading to the local shop tomorrow to look into transferring a handgun from another member here.
As I read it in the HSC Study Guide, I need to show a Proof of Residency in the form of a utility bill at the same address as is on my CADL. I'm not the current homeowner (I live with my mom), so all the utilities are in her name.
My Cingular phone bill doesn't have my address on it (you cut off that portion and return in with payment). What about my credit card bill or bank statement or auto insurance or Vehicle registration? Would any of those suffice?
If you enjoyed reading about "CA Proof of Residency for Handgun Purchase question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
February 21, 2007, 03:09 AM
Get a notarized letter from your mom swearing that you live at that address.
Seriously...that works. Type out a statement, where your mom says something like "I [Donut's mom] swear that my son Donut resides at [your address]"
As an added benefit, you can then tell people that California's so bad you need a note from your mom to buy a handgun :)
February 21, 2007, 03:15 AM
Or a vechile registration receipt, commonly called "a tag receipt". We have used handgun license, cable bill, payroll check stubs with the correct address,
power or gas bills, even hunting/fishing license- so long as it wasn't sold by
our business. ;) :D
February 21, 2007, 03:26 AM
Taken from 2ndAmendmentSports.com:
Required paperwork for California Residents with U.S. Citizenship status to purchase a HANDGUN:
1. Photo Drivers license or photo Identification Card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, with current residential address printed on card
2. **If, however, address is not current, client must provide a DMV printout of change of address, PLUS a federal or state approved proof of residency (see below).
3. Copy of proof of residency that meets both Federal and State requirements, in the case of clients with no change of address on CDL/CID (see below)
4. Copy of Handgun Safety Certificate (multiple choice test taken at time of purchase, if necessary), or HSC expemtion
5. Clients who are not HSC exempt need a signed and completed Safe Handling Demonstration Affadavit (provided IN HOUSE by SAS State-Certified Safe Handling Demonstration Instructors)
6. Copy of CPSD receipt if firearm does not come with a CA OK lock.
Non U.S. Citizens are required to furnish the same paperwork listed above, but must also include:
1. A 90 day proof of residency: 3 consecutive months of the same billing entity. First name and at least one surname must match ID
2. INS issued ID card
Acceptable Proof of Residency For DOJ
Utility bill (IE: water, gas, or a LAND line telephone or cable bill)
Property deed or certificate of title
Government issued DOCUMENT (City, County, State or Federal) that has a specified expiration date or period of validity (IE: VALID vehicle registration, CCW , property tax bill. California Drivers License or California Identification Card will not work)
A residential lease/rental agreement from a company which has government recognition on that company’s letterhead. The lease must be signed and dated by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary amount to occupy a residence
A residential lease/rental agreement between two individuals which is notarized. This lease must be signed and dated by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary amount to occupy and abode
1. All forms must have your name and current physical address
2. All forms must be dated within 90 days
3. All utilities must be “land based.�? NO CELLULAR PHONE BILLS
4. All forms must be originals. No copies accepted
5. All California peace officers are exempt from proof of residency
Any variances to these will have to be authorized through the California Department of Justice by a Second Amendment Sports employee."