I think the Skunk needs a Garand...

PDA

Skunkabilly
June 5, 2003, 07:23 PM
I've been lusting after a Garand for maybe a year now. After being rifleless while my M1A was on the fritz left me feeling nekkid. 3006 posts and the anniversary of D-Day, I think God's trying to tell me something :D

Sooo....a couple questions.

1. Since I'm in California, and it doesn't have a detachable magazine, can I put a Vortex flash hider on it, or does the Garand have a bayonet thingy still attached, and thus making it an assault weapon?

2. I heard the surplus .30-06 is drying up, but now I been seeing this Korean stuff popping up. As for commercial stuff, the .30-06 is pretty close to .308 in price....I been thinking on a .308 but .30-06 is more...Garandey. Your thoughts?

3. I'm thinking about one of those commercial Springfield Armory, Inc. ones. I know they're not new and don't have the 'history' of the Garand, and the receivers aren't 'Springfield'. If possible I'd like to score a Beretta receiver :D Reason I'm going SA Inc is I dont' want to worry about throat this or head that, and I want a warranty in case I mess the thing up. Are the Beretta receivers any good? I hear the others are a Lithgow, Breda, etc.

I'll probably leave it woody, but maybe I'll make it black and get a flash suppressor so I can look like this guy: :)

http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/grab-enblock.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "I think the Skunk needs a Garand..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B Coyote
June 5, 2003, 07:26 PM
Never, ever, ever underestimate a man with a Garand. They have fine tastes to choose such a superb rifle in the first place, and more than likely know how to use it.

And.....your post count as of my reply is 3006. That, my friend, is fate.

bc:)

Kevlarman
June 5, 2003, 07:34 PM
Me want a rifle too. I already have a Mauser '98. but there's something to be said about an autoloader.

Now my only dilemma is choosing among an SKS, M1 Carbine, and M1 Garand.

I'm also a poor college student. CMP for me please! Anyone know of any CMP affiliated clubs in near Riverside?

B Coyote
June 5, 2003, 07:37 PM
As a poor college student, the SKS would be an excellent first rifle for you, Kevlarman.

Ammo is dirt cheap and the gun itself can be had for less than $250.

I have two SKS's and love them.

bc:)

Nightcrawler
June 5, 2003, 07:41 PM
Skunky, there are other good Garands to be had.

Check out Orion 7 (http://www.m1garandrifle.com).

Andrew Wyatt
June 5, 2003, 08:08 PM
you should so get a black stock and hardchrome the metal parts on it, just to piss twoblink off.

45Badger
June 5, 2003, 08:39 PM
Here's a reasonably priced one-
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=168477

Or get your own from CMP. I had your illness a few months ago. Only cure was to buy one.

Lake City surplus getting tougher to find, but there is still a ton of PMC (reloadable) out there. I just picked up 400 rounds for $89 at local show. Shoots great.

cslinger
June 5, 2003, 08:58 PM
I cannot recommend the Garand enough, but you do know that it has..........GASP............a wood stock.

You do also know, that should you defile said rifle by putting some form of tacticalblackpolymerwhatzitwunderstock on a Garand the souls of thousands of dead heros will haunt you until your dying day.

I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

I love my Garand. My favorite rifle ever.

Chris

Destructo6
June 5, 2003, 09:05 PM
I'm also a poor college student. CMP for me please! Anyone know of any CMP affiliated clubs in near Riverside?
Not in Riverside, but the California Rifle and Pistol Association is CMP-affiliated. You should be able to find them online. You'll also get a monthly flyer, with legislation and whatnot, titled, "The Firing Line."

CMP qualifying matches are held every month at Lytle Creek. They're online, too.

Definately wood for a Garand.

aerod1
June 5, 2003, 09:30 PM
I heard a Skunk could never get to heaven without owning a Garand. Therefore I insist on the Skunk getting his very own Garand and live in eternal bliss.

Jim Hall

Trebor
June 5, 2003, 10:39 PM
You are better off getting a Garand through the CMP then buying one of repros currently on the market. I have not heard that Springfield Armory Inc. is currently making M-1 receivers, and the only ones I know of are either made by Century or imported from overseas. Both of those have problems meeting the correct tolerances in manufacturing and can cause functioning problems and have safety issues.

Go to www.odcmp.com for more info on the CMP. They do headspace and check every rifle before it goes out the door, and have excellent customer service for the rare problem that comes up.

Trebor

TIMC
June 5, 2003, 11:08 PM
I bought mine through the CMP and came away with a great gun. You just have to wade through the red tape but it's worth it. If you have the itch scratch it! The Korean ammo is good I have fired several hundred through mine.

I have dressed mine up a bit:

Steve in PA
June 5, 2003, 11:55 PM
CMP USGI SA/SG M1.............there is no equal!!!!:D

Frohickey
June 6, 2003, 12:50 AM
BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...BLAM...PINGGG :D

Don't worry about recoil. The M1 is well-balanced in weight to handle the recoil impulse.

As far as flash signature, thats what sunglasses are for. :p

Skunkabilly
June 6, 2003, 01:33 AM
As far as flash signature, thats what sunglasses are for.

Carbon fiber Oakleys, baby.

By any chance is there a CF stock for the Garand?

**PING!!!**

dude
June 6, 2003, 03:09 AM
the only extra stuff you need for a Garand is lots (lots) of ammo and clips

.........save all the Lee press-on aftermarket crap for the plastic guns

Tamara
June 6, 2003, 04:12 AM
You know, I store all my semiauto rifles in the same place. There's some fairly exotic hardware sitting there, but the only one that really ever gets picked up and fondled just for the joy of it is my Garand.

foghornl
June 6, 2003, 08:43 AM
I think the Skunk needs a Garand... Skunk, We all KNOW you need your own US Rifle Cal .30 M-1, Popularly Known As "The Garand".

I have a couple of Mil-Surps, but the M-1 is always my favorite. What's not to like about "The Garand" ?

8 rounds of .30-06

Good balance, enough weight to soak up recoil

Fast reloads via the 'en-bloc' clips

Ask the Camp Perry shooters about long-range (500+ yds) accuracy.

cslinger
June 6, 2003, 09:15 AM
Dear God and all that is good and natural, PLEASE don't let there be a carbon fiber stock for the M1 Garand.

seeker_two
June 6, 2003, 09:50 AM
Garands were built for wood stocks--don't go messin' w/ the natural order of things...:what:

(However, I do think the ones in .308 are pretty neat, too...:cool: )

Scratch that itch soon before the rest of us buy them up...:D

dude
June 6, 2003, 10:23 AM
the .308 ones are very (very) 'pretty neat'.......trust me!

$139/1000 rounds of Port surplus NATO and no 'Garand thumb' issues for starters

DonP
June 6, 2003, 10:36 AM
I have two from CMP.

One is a straight SA Garand, made in November 1943 and was originally issued to the Marines as they started their South Pacific push. Don't know where it went or what it did, but my Uncle has shared his memories of serving there and shot the Garand and had tears trickling down his 82 year old cheek as he finished off a clip.

The other is a Danish loaner with a VAR barrel that's pretty darn accurate. It was originally made in February of 1944 and has been around the world a few times. Maybe it got hauled ashore at Normandy or it may have sat in an armory in Cleveland or have done both. I'll never know.

I'm guessing that if you do get one, and you have a soul, you will find yourself unable to put a plastic stock on it, paint it black or make any other changes. It would be like using magic marker on the constitution.

FWIW, the Danish ammo is great, comes in bandoleers and clips and shoots very clean. The Korean stuff I've shot is pretty dirty and I had a few FTF with it.

Best gun money I ever spent.

Get one and have fun.

Don P.

Skunkabilly
June 6, 2003, 11:51 AM
Are the Beretta Garands any good?

*ping!*

uglymofo
June 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
Not me. The bug has never bitten. I like and own a nice M1A. I've shot a couple of Garands, and I shoot with a Garand 'smith once a week. He's always up there testing, and I'm always up there picking his brain. Dunno why, but of all the military weapons, only M1 Carbine and M1 have never fascinated me. I'm old enough to remember its' service and the changeover to the M1A.

All that said, I'll agree with Cslinger and DonP; to rip the action out of the wood for the sake of a synthetic stock
It would be like using magic marker on the constitution
...should you defile said rifle by putting some form of tacticalblackpolymerwhatzitwunderstock on a Garand the souls of thousands of dead heros will haunt you until your dying day.
The gun may not fascinate me, nor ever beckon, but any Garand has a history. Leave it intact. My "wish" is, if you want to synthesize a 'Garand', go ahead and buy the SA version. After all, they're as much Garands as the Yugo was a car. Don't blaspheme the Garand.

AZ Jeff
June 6, 2003, 01:46 PM
To those who asked questions about M1 Garands:

The rifles with the Lithgow recievers, or the CAI rifles (which use Lithgow recievers) are a crapshoot. Some have reported good results using these rifles, but others have said that the geometry of the receiver is not mil-spec, and that they worthless except as paperweights.

On the other hand, ALL the various recievers made for the US military are ALL equally good. Receivers made by Beretta and by Breda in Italy, while rare here in the US, are equally good. (If you are determined to get an M1 with an Italian made reciever, be prepared to pay collector's prices.)

While stocks make from synthetics can be had for M1's, they are usually pricey, and offer little in terms of thermal/hydroscopic stability that a good laminated stock cannot do as well. If you can't stand the look of wood, then get a beater stock on the cheap, sand it and paint with with the finish of your choice, and you can have whatever color/texture you think is sexy.

The vortex flash hider can be adapted to any M1, as it takes the place of the gas cylinder lock. For those in California who want this and do not want to run afoul of the law, the solution would be to remove the bayonet lug from the bottom of the gas cylinder by filing/grinding.

Since the M1 with it's normal barrel length does not show signs of undo flash, I would personally not waste my time with a vortex flash hider. (On the so-called "Tanker" models, that's an altogether differnent story, but we are not talking about short barreled M1's here.)

The BEST BARGAIN in M1's, without a doubt, is a "Danish" rifle bought thru the CMP. These rifles will usually exhibit a mixture of both US and Beretta/Breda parts, often with the much touted "VAR" barrels. The wood is usually nothing to look at, but can be cleaned up (and maybe painted for those of you so inclined) and can look pretty decent.

foghornl
June 6, 2003, 01:59 PM
If you put an M-1 action in synth or carbon fiber, I have heard rumor that the ghost of John Cantius Garand will haunt you and the next 10 generations of your family.......

:neener:

Frohickey
June 6, 2003, 05:20 PM
I wonder if anyone makes carbon fiber M1 Garand stocks with genuine simulated woodgrain motif. :D

Poodleshooter
June 6, 2003, 05:23 PM
One note about CMP Danish Garands. I'm currently just under 200 on the waiting list for one (I didn't even ask for a VAR barrel). Order now if you want one.....

Dave Markowitz
June 6, 2003, 08:39 PM

:banghead: :barf:

Sven
June 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
Sven is worried that Skunk refers to himself in the third-person.

For those worried about Garand Thumb, check out the Holbrook Device...

http://www.battlerifles.com/viewtopic.php?t=13196

-s

Art Eatman
June 7, 2003, 08:58 AM
If you keep that thumb stiff and snugged up against the index finger, you won't need to worry about pain.

:), Art

Gewehr98
June 7, 2003, 10:41 PM

That's just WRONG! :scrutiny:

Need to cleanse my palate of that horrible thought...

http://mauser98.com/stack10.jpg

Devonai
June 7, 2003, 10:53 PM
Hmm, you seem to have "stacked" those rifles with that "swivel" thingy. I was wondering what that was for.:D

Blain
June 8, 2003, 11:57 AM
I don't get it, everyone talks about how bad wood stocks are for M14s and how synthetic stocks are oh so much better and one should usean M14 stock with synthetic instead of wood.

Then those same people will turn around and whine and complain about how M1s shouldn't be in anything but wood stocks! Give me a break! The hyprocrisy and double standards amaze me!

uglymofo
June 8, 2003, 12:04 PM
I don't get it...

Blain
June 8, 2003, 12:38 PM
All I'm saying is that you guys should like M!4s in wood stocks as much as you do M1s!!!!!!!!

dude
June 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
everyone???

........wood stocks rule for either rifle, plastic is for toys

tex_n_cal
June 8, 2003, 04:10 PM
don't you know that "woods stocks aren't accurate?"

:rolleyes:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=76221

dude
June 8, 2003, 04:17 PM
I can't hit jack**** with my wood stocks................unless the rest of the rifle is assembeled

Schuey2002
June 8, 2003, 04:57 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL! :D

Spark
June 8, 2003, 11:44 PM
oops, disregard.

TIMC
June 8, 2003, 11:54 PM
The wood stock will hit your cheek every time if you hold it right.
:neener:

DonP
June 9, 2003, 04:12 PM
The M-14 is a great rifle and a lot of the folks here trained on it.

My basic training company (1970) was the first at Ft. Campbell to use the M-16's and we got to listen to the older drill sergeants go on and on on what a piece of crap the 16 was, but the younger ones, that had already put in one tour in RVN and wre headed back for another, liked that extra firepowerr and much lighter weight.

The M-14 was rifle without a war in sone ways. Like it or not wars are what make weapons memorable beyond the physical pieces of the tool at hand. WW II was "The Garand's War" and that's the way most folks that shoot think of it now 60 years later.

Viet Nam was the M-16's war. The 14 fell in between.

In the end it's your rifle, and if some guys can create bright pink and purple AR-15'S and be happy on the line with them, so be it and bless'em for more courage than I've got.

It just seems like changing a Garand stock would be like replacing a Civil War cavalry saber hilt with plastic because "that ivory is just too delicate".

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

Don P.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think the Skunk needs a Garand..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!