clear up my mosin confusion

PDA

kis2
February 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
So like everybody else that falls for the old 'im just gonna buy one milsurp rifle' im now looking into a second and i could really use some clearing up in the area of mosin nagant.

Basically my question is are they all fundamentally the same for ballistics. I hear that the ones with hex recievers are of better quality and I know I might still find some non issued ones for under two hundred bucks, but are they all basically sniper rifles? As in effective range of 600ish?

and if anyone knows a site for a cheaper scope/mount set to match the rifle, thatd be great.

I appreciate the help
kis2

If you enjoyed reading about "clear up my mosin confusion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cacique500
February 21, 2007, 07:25 PM
Good info can be found on www.7.62x54r.com and www.gunboards.com. For the mount, google a Darrell Scope Mount - attaches without hurting or modifying the rifle.

On 7.62x54r.com look in the ammunition section and you'll get all the ballistic info you need.

Niner
February 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
The hex receivers are in theory stronger, but the round receivers are plenty strong enough. Finding a non issued one is problamatic to say the least. There are factory refurbs that would be the closest to non issue that you are likely to find, but not necessarily better shooters.

You can get a 91/30 sniper with a scope just like the original PU 3.5 for $339 with a C&R from SOG and probably about that from some others.

Biggest problem with Nagants is the ammo. Surplus ammo can be good, fair, or terrible.

talleymonster
February 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
I was going to send you to www.7.62x54r.com, but it looks like Cacique500 already got to it. When I got my first Mosin, I didn't know anything about them. That site is the bestwhen it comes to Mosins. Also if you ever want to break it down and completely disassemble it, go to http://surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp. That is another awesome website for all kinds of Milsurp Guns. I hope that helps you.

Vaarok
February 21, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hex reciever is pre-war production and better fit and finish. Wartime is actually probably stronger, because there was less excess material removed. Wartime rifles usually weigh nearly a pound more.

Anyways, look for bore condition, bed it with shims after you get it, and shoot with the bayonet fixed or extended for those that come with a bayonet. They're mighty fine rifles.

And if you find a Mosin rifle with a blade-and-ears style front sight, buy that one. Finnish Mosin rifles are far higher quality and provide better accuracy.

kis2
February 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
im not entirely fluent on weapon repairs. what does bed with shims mean? and how do you guys feel about the accuracy of these rifles?
thanks for the posts so far, been a real help.

Red Tornado
February 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Most Mosins are about 3MOA, give or take. The bedding with shims is an accuracy trick. The barrel of the 91/30 is supposed to be free floated, so you add a shim or two to raise the barrel off of the stock. Cosmoline has posted detailed instructions, and you should be able to search for them.

As Vaarok said, Finns usually shoot much better, but also cost more, of course. Most run of the mill Mosins aren't worth scoping, IMO, but an M38 or M44 with a scout mount would make a dandy hunting rifle.
RT

Cosmoline
February 22, 2007, 02:30 PM
There's a hierarchy of Mosins, as far as accuracy goes. But there are also no guarantees. Because they've been through wars--often multiple wars--the wear and tear factor plays a part. And variations in bore size also impact accuracy. In theory, though, the 54R out of an accurized heavy barrel Mosin is exceedingly accurate.

The most accurate are the pre-war Finns, though not all shoot their best with heavy "D-166" ball

After this, the wartime Finns including the M-39's.

After this, probably the mint condition M-91's and Polish M-44's

After this, the sniper grade Soviet 91/30's

Then the pre-war Soviet 91/30's

Then the wartime Soviet 91/30's and the M-38's

270Win
February 22, 2007, 02:51 PM
Keep in mind that hierarchy is pretty generalized. I've encountered Finns that were only decent shooters; and some M38s (including my own) that were great shooters; etc.

Hoppy590
February 22, 2007, 02:52 PM
i hear german capture's with new barrel rank very well. but they are too obscure a rifle for the list.

If you enjoyed reading about "clear up my mosin confusion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!