Smith & Wesson's new M&P15

PDA

Urbana John
February 21, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hi to All I'm new here and looking for some advise.

Just saw and ad about S&W's new M&P15 and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Is this another type of AR15 and will "parts" interchange as with stocks & magazines?

What's their reputation for service? How dependable is this "toy"

Would I be better off getting a Bushmaster or Colt?

Any suggestions?

Thanks John

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson's new M&P15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
modifiedbrowning
February 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
The M&P 15 is an AR-15. It is made for S&W by CMT (Stag Arms) which is a quality manufacturer. As far as interchangability CMT uses a Mil-spec buffer tube that is a different size than some other brands like Bushmaster and RRA, so the stocks from those companies won't fit on the M&P.
S&W customer service is supposed to be top notch.
The quality of the M&P will be comparable to Bushmaster and Colt.
Hope this helps, Modified.

srh357
February 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
First post here for me as well.

I believe the S&W AR's are made by Stag Arms who have a pretty good rep. I haven't heard any real complaints about them other than you might be paying a little more for the name. I will say S&W stands 100% behind there products and has a very good reputation for their customer service. I think most parts they take are standard AR parts and accessorys including mags.

Hope that helps a little.

Ala Dan
February 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
I especially like the S&W "Tactical" model, with the fold down sights; but
its kind'a pricey. Another new kid on the AR block is the weapon made by
Sabre Defense in Nashville, TN. Really a neat look'in weapon that is sure
of give all AR manufactuers something too think a'bout~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

The Grand Inquisitor
February 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about them specifically, but they are WAY over-priced, and you could save a few hundred dollars buy simply buying a Stag upper and lower (much less DPMS, etc...) and snapping them together yourself.

Correia
February 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
As a gun dealer, I choose to simplify life and about 90% of the ARs that I sell are now Stag. Since they build most everybody else's stuff anyway, why pay the middleman?

10-Ring
February 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
I've only seen one. It was nice w/ some nice parts....IMO, they're another player in the arena of AR-manufacturers ;) You could potentially build one very similar to the S&W, all the parts are available in the aftermarket w/ the only difference in the upper & lower receivers.

CDignition
February 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
Buy a Stag lower and parts kit, then stick a Lewis Machine tool upper on it..you'll have the best one around...

kart racer
February 21, 2007, 11:30 PM
If you get one and have problems,it will go to stag for service.I have a stag and the front sight base was screwed up on mine.I sent it back on their dime-7 days from shipment to getting it back.It was better,but still not where I thought it should be.My rear sight still has to be way right to be sighted in and doesn't leave a lot of room for adjustment.

Function wise it has been 100%,even though they don't stake the carrier properly.Buy a stag and save a bunch of money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson's new M&P15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!