russian sks

PDA

gunlover_06
February 21, 2007, 08:35 PM
found a russian all matching numbers sks today, it is unfired and comes with 200 rounds of ammo, they are asking $200.00 OTD is this a good deal.

the gun is pristine.

thanks for any and all info on this.

kenny

If you enjoyed reading about "russian sks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
February 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
if its an actual russian, id say thats a good price. if its a yugo id say its fair, if its a Chicom. id say its about right. but im not an SKS guy

Niner
February 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
If it is actually Russian it is a good deal. Did you see it up close? The Russian AK's have about dried up in the open market while the Yugo's are swamping it at the moment.

soul_rapier
February 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
Good price you don't see many of them any more i paid $250 for mine many years ago so GET it if you can .

pipboy
February 21, 2007, 08:59 PM
if its anything but a yugo and it only has 200 round through it go for it...if its russian you will eventually clear a profit or have an excellent gun (does it have grenade launcher???) i know yugo came out with some without and with chrome barrels so make sure it is russian

Vaarok
February 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
If the import mark says Russia SKS, run don't walk. Russian SKSes are almost a completely different animal compared to a Yugo or a chinese. Fit, finish, accuracy... I never see them for less than $350-400 around here, and when I finally found mine for less, I realized why.

nwilliams
February 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yes that is a good price for a Russian, here's mine. I paid more than $200 for this one, but it was a rare gem, hardly used if it was at all, all matching parts, hardly a scratch on it, mirror bore. It just looks so pretty its hard to imagine its an SKS.:D

Kymasabe
February 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
I bought mine, all numbers matching but the bore looked like a sewer pipe. Took LOTS of cleaning to get the bore looking good again, paid $225 about two months ago. Just bought an unfired Norinco, serial number in the 24 million range (last year of the good arsenal 26 guns), paid $250. If your Russian is unfired and ingood condition, I'd say it's a great price and worth every penny.

gm
February 22, 2007, 12:13 AM
Thats a excellent price if it is a russian made sks.400 seems to be the going rate for a pristine sample here as well,even for the last bunch that came over with the parkerized bolts.There are several variations(laminated vs hardwood stocks,stampings and markings,ect) and they are the creme of the crop.Check to see if the original tool kit is in the stock,it should be blued like the receiver and barrel.Replacements run cheap but its nice to have it complete.

Frog48
February 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
Thats a great price for a Russian.

aaronrkelly
February 22, 2007, 03:44 AM
Fantastic price for a Russian.

There are a couple things that will bring down the value on a Russian.

The big one is the matte black paint. Alot of them were sprayed with this during the refurb process by the Russians. These are not NEAR as desirable as the ones with nice bluing. Recently in my area I spotted a couple of these BBQ painted Russkies complete with correct sling and correct cleaning kit for $250 and thats about all they are worth.

If its nicely blued your probably in the $300 range or better depending on condition and arsenal etc.

Heres a pic of my $180 Russian

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/All%20Guns/Image00010.jpg

gm
February 22, 2007, 11:01 AM
My russian sks cost well under a hundred bucks,it was imported out of sac california.I wish I had bought three of them.They werent very popular back then and were considered sort of an ugly duckling.Now look at them,they are considered a good buy for what you get and folks are snatching up the few russian made originals they can find.The german mausers went the same way,cheap at first, now originals with all matching numbers are skyrocketing in price.

Get it and enjoy it.They're fun rifles and really not too bad in the accuracy dept.

gunlover_06
February 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
guys thanks for all the info it is russian, unfired,original cleaning kit in the butt stock has never been used believe it to be TULA mfg, dated 1950R

will try to get pics up today if i can, and with 200 rounds of ammo i really thought it was a good buy.

there is no grenade launcher, has the blade bayonet,have to say this thing is pristine, so looks and sounds like i did good.

thanks to all for the help and info.

kenny.

tinygnat219
February 22, 2007, 01:08 PM
Gunlover 06,

Grab it now and don't look back. Russian SKS rifles are going from 350-400 bucks.

Enjoy it. DON'T sporterize, or if you like PM me and I will take this rifle off your hands, or trade you a Chinese or a Yugo to sporterize with some cash.

rocketfish
February 22, 2007, 01:20 PM
Dammit, where/how do you people keep coming across these incredible deals like this? The law of averages says that for every great deal there is a crappy deal and that's what I mostly see. The people I meet at shows and shops always want way more than what their stuff is worth.

Plink
February 22, 2007, 03:11 PM
That's a very good price for a Russian model. Especially unfired. I'd have expected an unfired model to be $400-450 easy.

gunlover_06
February 22, 2007, 05:28 PM
i know there's a web link on here somewhere to find out more on this sks
but cant remember what it is. can anyone help me, surplusrifle doesn't give alot of info on them.

want to compare markings and other things, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks kenny.

Kymasabe
February 22, 2007, 10:11 PM
Check out:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
http://www.sksman.com/
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm
http://www.kivaari.com/SKS%20Target%20Match.htm
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/sks.html

bmwguy
February 22, 2007, 10:18 PM
1950r Russkie??

when you get it, check the firing pin. The early russian sks have a spring loaded firing pin, this is a more desirable model as it prevents slam fire.

Also check the bayonet, it should be silver. I have a rare early non-refurb russkies that has a spring FP, and a BLUE bayonet. Some people have told me that it is a refurb becasue of the blue bayonet, but I think they are wrong because the bolt is white and there are not square with a slash in it.

gunlover_06
February 22, 2007, 10:44 PM
BMWGUY

yeah the bayonet is silver and i believe the firing pin is spring loaded.

the bolt is in the white also, almost hate to shoot it since it was unfired when i got it,

sounds like i did good with my purchase have had a couple other SKS'S
but none like this one, very well built handles good.

just like it:D :D

gunlover_06
February 23, 2007, 05:44 AM
well guys after looking at some other web sites i have determined that my sks
is russian for sure but is also a refurb, the reasons i think this is that the reciever is a black matte color.

everything else seems to be correct on it, the bayo is silver, cleaning kit is original, the serial number is very low it is OP17xx four digit number all matghing as stated in original post, the stock on the left side has a row
of XXXXXXXXXXX'S going across it.

the import marks are very small under the barrel, it's marked 7.62x39 russia
CAI ST ALBA VT.

so i must say that even tho it has the black matte finish on the reciever i still
believe i got a great deal for an unfired russian sks. for $200.00 and 200 rounds of ammo.wasn't going to shoot it, but think i will now.

do you all think it would hurt the value of it to shoot it?

thanks kenny.

Niner
February 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
Won't hurt the value. It'll help the value in so far as you will be having some fun with it.

Spiggy
February 23, 2007, 02:37 PM
:/ got mine for $300 with half a brick of ammo and a giant stack of stripper clips

Guy said the bore wasnt good, I cleaned it out and turned out that he hadn't cleaned it out completely and left a lot of cosmo in it. Also an all-matching 1950r Tula; floaty pin with the non-springy safety. :D see if you can get one with the star and numbers still stamped to the stock.

gunlover_06
February 23, 2007, 04:57 PM
SPIGGY

it has the star which makes it a tula MFG the stock is numbered the same as the rest of the rifle, everything matches,

so is it a big deal that it's a refurb? still think i got a good deal?

thanks for all the info from everyone and comments also, this is a great place to find lots of information with a bunch of great people here to help.

kenny.

Spiggy
February 25, 2007, 03:23 PM
not really, refurb just means the russian arsenal took it apart and "upgraded" the gun from the original old used status.

As said on www.simonov.net
"For shooters, I can't stress enough how little it means to have a refurbished Russian SKS. If anything, they made a well used rifle into something as good as, if not better than, new. "

The star stamped on the stock is just something I noticed recently... most refurb ruski SKSs dont have stamp marks on the stock. -I havent bothered to research more in to that :(

www.simonov.net might have more info for you

gunlover_06
February 25, 2007, 05:37 PM
SPIGGY

thanks for the info and the link also think i will enjoy this rifle.
it's very nice thinking about trading fro another one it is a chinese sks,

suppose to be as nice as this russian i have what do you and others think of rhe chinese ones.

thanks kenny.

MachIVshooter
February 25, 2007, 07:09 PM
That's a darn good price. I paid $350 for my refurbished '54 Tula Laminate stock.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Russian.jpg

MachIVshooter
February 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
That's a darn goo dprice. I paid $350 for my Refurbished '54 Tula laminate stock.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Russian.jpg

Kymasabe
February 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hey, someone buy my Russian SKS! I need the $$.

gunlover_06
February 25, 2007, 08:28 PM
KYMASABE

P.M. SENT

Spiggy
February 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
chinese ones are ok, but I believe the vast majority of them are not C&R eligible

Russian ones seem to hold more value at the moment, since they're the first real SKS.

There are the rarer models too, but they are expensive only because of lack of production... not necessarily a better performer imho

Here's my Russian
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/rashielx/sks/sks2.jpg

Yea, yea... I know, varnish is coming out because I shoot it until it bubbles :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "russian sks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!