308 surplus 2nd tier ammo review

PDA

casio02478
February 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
Since the good stuff have been drying up, I am interested in knowing what does everyone out there feel about about the ammo coming out of non-nato countries. I am seeing alot of nigerian, czech, paki, and indian ammo out on the market. Any first hand experiences? are they corrosive? are they going to go bang :) or are they going to go boom :mad: in my rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "308 surplus 2nd tier ammo review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chestnut ridge
February 21, 2007, 09:09 PM
The quality is variable. I have some Indian that I plan to shoot; after I
pull the bullets and clean the excess tar off. Then I will dump the powder
and rethrow the charges; and reseat the bullet.
Lots of trouble? Yes. But I will feel more secure when breaking the
trigger.

rbernie
February 21, 2007, 09:30 PM
The Paki is fine; the Indian is not.

mkh100
February 21, 2007, 09:43 PM
Where have you seen the czeck? Samco used to have S&B czech corrosive, but it dried up almost instantly when Aim ran out of SA. It was fine ammo, though you had to clean the rifle due to corrosion potential.

What about the Nigerian ? Who has that ?

casio02478
February 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
I saw the nigerian and czech in my local gun shop around nashville.

kfranz
February 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
the Indian is not

That is not correct.

rbernie
February 22, 2007, 10:44 AM
If the Indian surplus 308 has proven of adequate quality and accuracy for you, then you have been far luckier than I and my friends have been.

:)

funfaler
February 22, 2007, 10:48 AM
The Indian Ammo dated in the 70's is good ammo, that dated in the 90's is crapola and dangerous.

kfranz
February 22, 2007, 10:50 AM
70's vintage is where it's at.

ATAShooter
February 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
I look at it like this... you get what you pay for. If you want a bang - bang combat round that just hits center of mass, then it's for you. If you are looking for groups and super precision, then you need to look at a different solution.

rbernie
February 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
70's vintage is where it's at.Cool. :)

Where can I find some?

lamazza
February 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
+1 rbernie about indian. I have had the brass crack while just chambering the round.

nobody_special
February 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
lamazza, what was the headstamp on that cracked case?

Drakejake
February 23, 2007, 09:26 AM
Casio,

Which Nashville gun shop has the ammo?

Thanks,

Drakejake
Nashville

lamazza
February 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
Nobody-
Headstamp OFV 02 7.62 M80

nobody_special
February 25, 2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks lamazza. That looks like a 2002 batch. This fits with what I've heard, that the recent stuff is problematic, the 70's stuff is ok.

GRIZ22
February 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
A few years ago I saw a gun shop had Nigerian 308 for sale priced pretty cheap. There was a box someone had opened and I saw the headstamp was Hirtenberger (Austrian manufacture). This isn't NATO spec (about 100 fps faster but fine ammo. I don't know if the current Nigerian is the same but it might be worth a look before you buy.

Grayrider
February 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
Just be careful guys. I would hate for any of you to get hurt using some of the questionable stuff out there. At DSA we get rifles come back to us now and then after a "kaboom" from running some of the really bad surplus ammo out there. So far most of the time it turns out to be Indian ammo at fault, although there have been other types. FALs are tough guns, and ours are really tough. It takes a lot to blow one up, but some of that ammo can do it. I am sure Springfield Armory and ArmaLite have had similar experiences with their .308 caliber rifles. One has to wonder what the conditions were like in the factory where some of this stuff was made. I have speculated it might be a case of sabotage with some of the Indian stuff, if perhaps the factory workers were sympathetic with the Pakistani side of the Kashmir dispute. Of course it could just be low standards at a particular facility/time.

John

Drakejake
February 26, 2007, 07:00 PM
I have been relying on SA surplus and have paid about $180 per case, if memory serves. What are the prices for Czech and Nigerian?

Drakejake

Cams29er
February 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
I have some ofv 96, 97 that I was afraid to shoot after reading all the stuff posted on here. Went out and protected my face and took a couple shoots. It was fine. Looked over every one and 1 or 2 looked a little crooked, buts thats it. Maybe I just got a "good" batch?

cheygriz
February 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
About the best I've found is Portugese. But I can't find it anymore. Thank goodness I stocked up on 3000 rounds.

tal35
February 27, 2007, 05:27 AM
I bought about 1500 rds of hirt. tracer a couple yrs ago and it works well!

cheygriz
February 27, 2007, 03:14 PM
I hear the Aussie is great also, but It's getting near impossible to find.

BTW, guys, Most countries have a "shelf life" for their war reserve ammo. I would imagine that the countries that use the 7.62X51 in their machine guns, will be releasing more of it in a few years as current war reserves come up on expiration date.

Whenever they buy a new lot, they sell off their oldest lot.

MechAg94
February 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have been relying on SA surplus and have paid about $180 per case, if memory serves. What are the prices for Czech and Nigerian?

Drakejake

Must have been a while since you bought SA. :)
I bought a case for my Dad last year right before it dried up. ~$260 a case total I think. The battlepack prices were nuts. Don't even see it anymore.

byf43
February 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
Must have been a while since you bought SA.
I bought a case for my Dad last year right before it dried up. ~$260 a case total I think. The battlepack prices were nuts. Don't even see it anymore.

Last SA that I bought was Oct., '06. $189 per case of 980 rounds.
5 cases.

Should've bought 5 more.

Should've bought the LC (M118LR I think) stuff that I had in my hands and set back down.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mannlicher
February 27, 2007, 08:13 PM
in my limited personal experience, the Indian is to be avoided. The yugo Privi Partisan is first class, as is the S&B from Czech Repulblic.

aka108
February 27, 2007, 08:38 PM
Bought some Australian and some Indian (90's production). Australian is pretty decent stuff. Had a few funny sounding rounds with the Indian stuff so shoot it only in a 1909 Mauser converted to 308 but not in the semi autos.

evan price
February 28, 2007, 03:26 AM
Indian (OFV) M80 ball ammo from the 70's was built to NATO specs, using high quality Boxer primed brass. If you have 70's Indian it is pretty good ammo. So far I run my FALs on "4" gas setting on South African, but I run on "3" for OFV. Every round goes bang. No funny business! I bought 6 cans of it recently and it shoots pretty good for blasting. The cans were sealed at the factory and stored in some dirty dusty warehouse for thirty years. My cans were coated in mud and I had to beat them open because the seal was so adhered to the lid, but the ammo on the chargers inside the can was as nice as any SA I've seen, "clean" and fairly shiny.
Anything made NOT in the 70's, especially that stuff in plastic bags from the 80's & 90s, is probably leftovers, rejects, and pickup ammo, that was repacked in plastic bags for resale cheap, and it is crap, and often dangerous. But 70's vintage Indian or Pakistani is worth having for cheap (relatively) blasting ammo. And the cases are very good for reloading, as I said, boxer primed & good heavy case wall.

Ammo snobs will say otherwise, while casually fitting $1.50/rd LC match ammo into their guns. Me, I say if I'm going to spend my time ploughing the 100-yd backstop trying to stem the flood of terrorist soda cans that are invading the rifle range, $.20/rd works for me & then I reload it for less.

All I can say is, if you find OFV for a price below $.25/rd delivered, grab some and try it, and if you find it for less than that, or if you don't want it, help a brother out and PM me where it is OK?

Just ask Kfranz, he stocked up when Century blew it out at $.05/rd delivered, I think there is a photo of the porch of his house after the BBT dumped about 60 cans of it on Falfiles!

As far as South African goes, good luck finding it for less than $50-$55/140-rd battlepack nowadays, and I've seen people asking much more than that, there are reports of $96/BP at gun shows...:what:

And to think I beefed when AIM raised the price to $189 per case of 980! Bought my last cases at $175 and felt smug...now wish I had bought a truckload.

If you enjoyed reading about "308 surplus 2nd tier ammo review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!