New Rifle and Optics Mounting

PDA

Snagglepuss
February 21, 2007, 10:11 PM
After asking for help to pick a new and first rifle I went ahead and got a Remington 700 XCR in .270. Got it for a great price on GB. Now I need to put some optics on it. Keep in mind I have no experience in this area.

My hunting will range from Northern Minnesota(fairly dense cover) to areas in Minnesota that are used for farming. I also plan to visit my brother in Texas and go hog hunting in the hill country.

-I already have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 that I put on my AR and could be used on this new rifle.
-I can get a great deal using my C&R dealer status at Midway to get a Nikon Monarch Scope 4-12x 40mm Adjustable Objective BDC Reticle Matte.
-I would probably sell my basically new and mounted only Eotech 512 to finance the above Nikon. What do you think about these scopes.

I visit the EGW site regularly to browse for 1911 parts and saw these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-700-LA-Picatinny-Rail-Mount-Tactical-0-MOA_W0QQitemZ180088284270QQihZ008QQcategoryZ52511QQcmdZViewItem

Would these make a more than suitable base or should I be looking at something else.

Now how about rings. They seem to range from 5 bucks to 200. I know nothing about this and don't now where to begin researching. High-medium-low? See through? Fixed or removable? Any suggestions here would help. Maybe there is even a sticky on some, as yet unknown to me, optics forum.

Thanks in advance to anyone who dares help.:confused: :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle and Optics Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snagglepuss
February 22, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hello? Anyone want to help?

ugaarguy
February 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
-I already have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 that I put on my AR and could be used on this new rifle.
-I can get a great deal using my C&R dealer status at Midway to get a Nikon Monarch Scope 4-12x 40mm Adjustable Objective BDC Reticle Matte.
-I would probably sell my basically new and mounted only Eotech 512 to finance the above Nikon. What do you think about these scopes.
Put the EoTech on the AR. Put the Leupold on the M700, it'll be plenty. Take the scope & rifle to a local dealer or gunsmith who keeps rings & bases in stock. Get the lowest rings that can be used to mount the scope to the rifle. A standard millett or leupold one or two piece base & fixed rings will work fine. The picatinny rail base is useful for mounting scopes like ACOGs that have an integral pic rail mount on the optic, but aren't usually needed for hunting optics. Hopefully that all helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle and Optics Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!