Before the "BIG BAN"

PDA

Aaryq
February 22, 2007, 01:17 AM
Okay folks, it's cruch time. If you look in the L&P forum there's a new AWB on the horizion. I don't get too much extra in a pay check for guns but I want to stock up before the ban in order to get grandfathered in (which sucks because I have to store them at my folks' house in ND because I'm stationed in the People's Republik of ********** and can't even shoot the sons of...well...guns). The question that I'm asking you is: If you were to want to stock upon Assault Rifles what would you get? I would like 2 replies to this question. 1 for the poor people and 1 for those of you who have...er...uh...more resources than a Corporal in the Marines with quite a few bills.

If you enjoyed reading about "Before the "BIG BAN"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thumper723
February 22, 2007, 01:21 AM
I reccomend buying AR lowers.

They are legally "the gun" and can be had for about $100 at shows. I suspect if you shop around online, and have them FFL'd you are probably looking at less than $150 each.

I would pick up a couple of them, and 1 "pistol" lower..

Frog48
February 22, 2007, 01:25 AM
At least one more AR15, and probably an AK47 of some sort. I've never been an AK fan, but I'd get one anyway, to "thumb my nose" at the gun-ban folks.

Eyesac
February 22, 2007, 01:31 AM
Mags Mags Mags!!!!!!! I also wouldn't mind a .308 rifle, FAL or M1... But mags are cheaper:D

Lone_Gunman
February 22, 2007, 01:32 AM
First, let me say there is not a new AWB on the horizon. Once has been proposed, but it has been proposed every year since the old one expired. As of earlier this week, the currently proposed AWB had no co-sponsors. The democrats know full well that the AWB cost them the 1994 mid term elections, and I do not think they are stupid enough to try that again. I predict this will never make it out of committee.

However, as for your question, I think buying lowers only might be a bad idea. I suspect that if a new AWB is ever passed, it will be worded in such a way that the rifle will have to be in its assault weapon configuration prior to the passage of the new law. If they word it in that way, then your lower could never be configured into a banned rifle, even though the lower is technically pre-ban.

Under the 1994 ban, you could take a pre-ban lower and add to it later to create what would have otherwise been a banned weapon. This was a loophole accidentally created by an oversight on the part of the gun-banners and I doubt they will let it happen twice.

I would recommend buying ARs and AKs. If you have any desire for a FAL you better get that too. Most important, buy magazines, because they are the part of the rifle that is most likely to wear out. Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep!

ugaarguy
February 22, 2007, 01:32 AM
Okay folks, it's cruch time. If you look in the L&P forum there's a new AWB on the horizion.
HR 1022 - the new ban - is still in commitee. See threads in L&P, see the "Fire Mission" threads at www.AR15.com. Start calling reps and e-mailing them. We, the pro RKBA forums & blogs, got Zumbo fired for his comments about ARs. Now let's get together, mobilize that same force, and kill HR 1022 before it gets out of commitee.

If you think it may pass get stripped lowers. Then get a pistol grip, buttstock, and a complete upper with bayonet lug & flash supressor. Take a dated pic of each lower with the PG, buttstock & upper on it. Remember, the previous AWB said the reciever to be assembled in banned form before the law took effect to be counted as grandfathered in. If it left the factory as a stripped or otherwise incomplete lower the burden of proof is on you if whether or not the reciever was assembled to the point of a banned config is ever questioned. CYA, and buy mags lots of mags too - those will have tade value if a ban does get passed.

Eightball
February 22, 2007, 01:33 AM
I've never been an AK fan, but I'd get one anyway, to "thumb my nose" at the gun-ban folks.What other reasons do you need to have EBRs?:D

mnrivrat
February 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
I think thumper723 has the right idea if all you are looking to do is assure yourself of the capability of having one if a ban occures. I would think the balance of the parts would still be available to complete a rifle.

The investment is also not that big for something you can't have at your home anyway.

scurtis_34471
February 22, 2007, 01:36 AM
AK variants are generally a lot less expensive than AR variants and there are some pretty nice ones available. On the lower end, there is a SAIGA with a nice skeletonized stock for under $400 or you could roll the dice on a Romanian WASR 10 for around the same money. The SAIGA is probably better made, but the WASR takes standard AK mags and stocks and the SAIGA doesn't. Moving up the food chain, you could get a nice Yugo AKM for around $550. I personally went with a VEPR for $620, which is built on an RPK receiver and is one of the best AKs out there in terms of accuracy. The VEPR, however, does not take standard stocks or mags. The most expensive option would be an Arsenal with a milled receiver, but those cost as much as an AR.

Full Clip
February 22, 2007, 01:39 AM
Given that it would ban this:
"A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event."

I'm thinking some M14 variant — perhaps a SOCOM — and an AK variant — perhaps a Saiga...

"...to be determined by the Attorney General."

Incredibly vague proposed law. What a crock.

MechAg94
February 22, 2007, 01:42 AM
scurtis, what kind of Vepr did you get? Mine shoots 7.62X39 and takes standard AK mags. Did you get an oddball caliber?

Personally, I am just trying to make sure I have plenty of spare mags, especially the imported stuff. Lots of deals on mags out there.

Patriot-Brewer
February 22, 2007, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure, will the M1a get the boot. I guess if they use the "any barrel shroud" part or "any military type" part I read about in another thread then they'd be gone too. If not, I'd buy M1a's now as their price would probably rise if it's all that's available. Of course, if they want M1 carbines, why not
M1a's too.

And people thought a AWB would'nt even be brought up before the next election.:rolleyes:

nobody_special
February 22, 2007, 04:00 AM
If you're worried about HR1022 (which isn't even out of committee yet, and it may just languish and die there) then don't just buy receivers and mags. HR1022 bans assault weapon parts:

...any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

So you'll need the entire rifle (and mags of course).

I think HR1022 has a modest chance of escaping the judiciary committee, but the chance of it passing a floor vote in the house is probably slim. I seriously doubt a similar measure would pass a vote in the senate. So I wouldn't be too worried... but even so, I'm stepping up my plans to get an M1A Scout/Squad, which will be my first (and possibly only) rifle.

Shipwreck
February 22, 2007, 08:22 AM
Yes, I just bought another PS90 50 round mag. I wanna have enough in case this happens.

Glockfan.45
February 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
I've never been an AK fan, but I'd get one anyway, to "thumb my nose" at the gun-ban folks.

What other reasons do you need to have EBRs?

Hell I'm having a flash hider and bayonet lug added to my post ban Colt AR just because I can (I dont even own a bayonet for a AR and they are useless on a 16 inch barrel). I hear every time a bayonet is fixed onto a "assault rifle" Sarah Brady gets a headache :D .

Eightball
February 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
I hear every time a bayonet is fixed onto a "assault rifle" Sarah Brady gets a headache .Buahahahh! Unfortunately, doing so on my AK required unthreading the birdcage flash hider, but it looks like it's time to give her the worst migrane of her life when I get near that thing! :evil:

1 old 0311
February 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
Remember the last AWB expired. Bet the next one wont.:cuss: :cuss:

SaMx
February 22, 2007, 03:25 PM
would a stripped lower be worthless? I mean, this new proposed ban has a clause against selling "assault weapon conversion kits" meaning any parts that will turn a gun into an "assault weapon." What's the point of a stripped lower if you can't put a grip on it?

Bartholomew Roberts
February 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
A stripped lower is worthless under both the 1994 ban and the newly proposed McCarthy ban.

Under the 1994 ban, BATF's position was that the rifle had to be a fully-completed rifle in a pre-ban configuration prior to the enactment of the ban to be grandfathered. From a practical sense, they couldn't really enforce this so a lot of people didn't pay much attention to it.

Under the proposed McCarthy ban, BATF would undoubtedly take the same position. Not that it would matter since McCarthy's bill also bans any part that can be used to "convert" a semi-auto into an assault weapon. So no pistol grips, handguards, telestocks, threaded barrels, receivers listed or described by the ban, etc.

Personally, I don't think the McCarthy ban will pass. I am still writing my Congressman and Senators and doing my best to make sure it never sees the light of day. I'll also be checking it regularly to make sure it remains as sponsorless as possible; but if gun owners do their part, this bill is dead.

Plink
February 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
My low dollar suggestion would be CETMEs if you can find them cheap. Mags are super cheap too. Tapco just had a 50 for $50 sale but they're out now. The idea of getting AR lowers is a good one also. Might grab a few AKs while they're cheap. With the various import regulations currently in effect, they aren't going to be this cheap for long, even if there is no AWB ban.

For the high dollar suggestion, I'd say the FAL or M1A. I love them both, but the FAL just fits me better. DSA makes awesome FALs and Fulton Armory makes world class M1As. Springfield makes an OK M1A but it's not in the same class with the Fulton model.

AJAX22
February 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Just for the record you can actually buy AR's and AK's here in the PRK, check out calguns.net if you need more info on the details.

I bought half a dozen last year when I found out about it.

Thin Black Line
February 22, 2007, 04:34 PM
Under the 1994 ban, BATF's position was that the rifle had to be a fully-completed rifle in a pre-ban configuration prior to the enactment of the ban to be grandfathered. From a practical sense, they couldn't really enforce this so a lot of people didn't pay much attention to it.

What about the "constructive possession" MG stuff they pull if they feel you
have too many full auto parts sitting around and a related semi-auto weapon
even though the rifle/receiver was never modified and assembled? They still
try to say you have a MG.....

Nomad, 2nd
February 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
Being a Cpl in the Marines myself...

AR recievers and one AR.
Take the AR to pieces and configure and take pictures of each AR reciever assembled into a completed, preban AR... then take it apart again...

Nothing wrong with that, and it WAS assembled into a 'Preban' weapon prior to whenever...

Buy AK $99 parts kits and build your own (100% legal, but do it with compliance parts and prior to 'whenever' the ban is.)

All the mags you can, especaily the Al and Plastic ones which will wear out easier.

I'd recomend the FAL and M1A... but I already have that covered myself... and it'll take up too many resources.

If you buy 6 AR recievers... selling 2 AR's will get your money back out AND give you enough profit to buy an M1A I expect..
They will be your moneymakers.

IF I had all the $... M1A's, HK's...CASES of Glock and other High cap mags, Couple Barrett semi .50's...

Cheeseybacon
February 22, 2007, 04:51 PM
The question that I'm asking you is: If you were to want to stock upon Assault Rifles what would you get?

My intended order of aquring is as follows:

1) AR-15 in .223/5.56 of some kind (leaning towards a 16" Bushmaster right now)
2) Saiga-12 shotgun (converted and worked over by Tromix)
3) A FAL of some kind (gotta do more reading up on these, don't know much about them except that I want one)

scurtis_34471
February 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
scurtis, what kind of Vepr did you get? Mine shoots 7.62X39 and takes standard AK mags. Did you get an oddball caliber?

Mine is 7.62x39, but apparently won't take standard mags. I am picking it up today, so I have not had time to investigate this, but the dealer I bought it from told me that the VEPR rifles produced since the Izmash takeover no longer accept standard AK magazines.

El Tejon
February 22, 2007, 05:04 PM
1. Magazines, as many as you can.

2. If more resources, magazines of all kinds, AR lowers, folding stock AKs (I hate them but have been buying them for trading stock after AWBII goes through), AKs (47s and 74s), JLD PTR, DSA FALs, Fulton or LRB M14s. Get something funky too like an XCR or a Galil clone or a PS90.

I'd also be buying .50USMG ammo and a weapon chambered in .50USMG. Have no doubt that President Clinton will declare .50s and their ammo to be NFA as soon as she can. As such as AKs and ARs terrify the politicians, they truly fear the limo guns.

Forget all about milsurps, suppressed short-barreled rifles (or whatever the latest range toy of the Errornet is), and CMP guns, and revolvers and pistols and all the other shlock. Get want you can now because '09 onward isn't going to be pretty.

Lone_Gunman
February 22, 2007, 08:39 PM
As others have tried to point out, I don't think AR lowers are going to help you much.

Even if you buy the lower, attach a pre-ban upper, and document it with a photo, if you ever sell just the lower to someone else in stripped form, I think you will be on shaky ground to think the second owner could put a pre-ban upper on it. If the ATF ever questions it, the factory will list it as a stripped lower, and the second owner will have taken possession after the new ban.

You might be able to get away with it, but I don't want to risk going to jail over a stripped lower.

El Tejon
February 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not selling them. That's what the goofy stuff like AK folders and Tite II MGs are for.

I'm stockpiling for the future and my nephews. I told my grandfather and my uncles that they will never disarm my family. Graveyard promise, I have to keep it.:)

HorseSoldier
February 22, 2007, 10:33 PM
I don't see HR 1022 passing in its current form. Too sweeping, too much of a political football. I don't see the Democrats pushing the point at the moment, as they still remember what is was like being on the outside looking in. Give them a couple years, especially if they get the White House, and that may change.

I still say go after the features that the gun banning crowd really hates -- ARs with collapsible stocks, AKs and FALs with folding stocks, etc. Those might be right out even in a watered down HR 1022.

Same thing with high cap mags (only get them for guns you've got, if you're sweating HR 1022, since if I'm not mistaken, you can't sell the person to person). Even if 1022 doesn't go into effect as written, some stupid round count limit is entirely possible.

And donate money to whoever runs against the moron from Long Island that proposed HR 1022 in '08.

ctdonath
February 22, 2007, 10:49 PM
SaMx sees the problem:

Under 1022, the receiver won't do you any good because all the stuff to turn it into an "assault weapon" IS defined as an "assault weapon". Those "less receiver" kits would be prohibited.

They're starting to pick up on the fact that a gun is more than just a receiver.
And they're out to stop any and every way of stopping sales of semi-autos.

Daemon688
February 22, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm a current student at the University of Minnesota and I will be heading out to New York this comming fall for graduate school. Being on a student budget, I don't have much to work with. But if this AWB gets to the floor for a vote, I will be breaking out my credit cards. However difficult this will be on my budget in the short-term, I can't imagine how difficult it will be to buy them in 2009 when I get out of grad school.

My top priority guns
1. Converted Saiga-12
2. M4
3. Ak in 5.45
4. M1 Garand

Top accessories
1. Beta mag
2. Magazines for all the handguns I foresee owning in the future
3. Magazines for all the rifles above (sans M1 of course)

NeoSpud
February 23, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, Daemon (but farther south ;) ).

Here's my checklist:
1. AK variant (just got it, actually. A surprisingly well put together Yugo M70 underfolder for $500)
2. Tromix-ed Saiga 12 gauge
3. FAL of some sort
4. PS90 (not sure if this'll be worth it, if the ammo gets banned like I hear... hopefully that's just more unfounded rumors) or more likely, just the Five-seveN, even though it feels like a cap gun.
5. mags mags mags MAGS MAGS!!! I like the idea of the Promag translucent AK mags, but all other clear mags I've had for both my AR and 10/22 were absolute donkey [excrement]. I'm a sucker for see-thru mags.

I want to grab a beta c or two sometime. Perhaps in between the Tromix and FAL.

To be perfectly honest, I've been anxious ever since the ban sunset in '04, but I'm not really that much more nervous now than I was then. If anything, any raise in my stress level is due to anticipation of getting that Tromix... woo wee those are some slick scatterguns!

(note: woo, first post!)

Aaryq
February 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
[Quote] (note: woo, first post!) [Quote]

Welcome aboard, buddy.

Why does everyone say get lowers instead of entire rifles?

Nomad, 2nd
February 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
Lower = firearm.

Cheaper.

Lone_Gunman
February 23, 2007, 01:27 AM
Why does everyone say get lowers instead of entire rifles?

Because they aren't paying attention to how the proposed law has been worded.

They assume that if you have a pre-ban lower you can do whatever you want with it after the ban. That is not the case. A stripped lower cannot be assembled into a rifle that would be banned, once the ban goes into effect.

If you are ever investigated after the ban, the ATF will find out from the factory what configuration the rifle was in when it left the factory. If it was shipped as a stripped lower, and the ATF finds it now in a banned configuration, you better have good documented proof that you configured it that way before the ban. Some have suggested you could take one upper with banned features, and attach it to several different lowers and take a photo of them each, and then claim that all the lowers were in a banned configuration before the ban, and that they should be grandfathered. That might work, or you might end up in jail because of it.

js
February 23, 2007, 07:38 AM
Mags! Tons of them! :)

Thin Black Line
February 23, 2007, 10:06 AM
JS, I agree. Just placed an order for 10 more AR15 mags.

scurtis_34471
February 23, 2007, 10:50 AM
I just paid $45 each for 2 30-Round SAIGA mags for my new VEPR. As much as the price pisses me off, I plan to buy at least two more. I don't have to stock up on mags for my existing handguns, because neither takes high-cap mags to begin with. What I am interested in acquiring pre-ban is another pistol or two, a shotgun, another Ruger 10/22 and a bunch of Butler Creek Steel Lips 10/22 mags. Once that is done, I plan to start stockpiling ammo.

El Tejon
February 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
Why not mags? Do you think ammo will be unavailable after 1/09? If so, why???

goalie
February 23, 2007, 11:30 AM
I went whole hog and bought a .50 BMG

I already had the AK and AR covered.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
Some have suggested you could take one upper with banned features, and attach it to several different lowers and take a photo of them each, and then claim that all the lowers were in a banned configuration before the ban, and that they should be grandfathered. That might work, or you might end up in jail because of it.

The problem with this approach is the "Conversion Kit" language that is added to 18 USC 921(a). Parts that can be used to make an assault weapon are now treated as assault weapons too - so how are you going to build up that stripped lower in the future even if you are able to prove it is preban? You would have to buy a "preban" barrel and "preban" pistol grip along with a "preban" handguard, etc. etc.

The stripped lower approach won't work with H.R. 1022 as written. You need the complete rifle and I'd also plan on buying all the mags you'll ever want as well. Better approach is to kill H.R. 1022 dead now so you don't have to worry about it or at the very least, you have more time to buy.

Bazooka Joe71
February 23, 2007, 12:22 PM
What is a good way to document AR's were assembled before the ban? Besides a dated camera...Because can't you just change the date on your camera and take a pic?

Thin Black Line
February 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
Sealed envelope dated by the USPS and sent back to yourself...or an attorney.

Bazooka Joe71
February 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
You mean take a picture of said rifle, mail it, and put it away after you get it back?

Lone_Gunman
February 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
I just paid $45 each for 2 30-Round SAIGA mags for my new VEPR.

I thought VEPRs took standard AK mags. Is yours in some unusual caliber? I just bought AK mags for about $15.

scurtis_34471
February 23, 2007, 01:07 PM
Izmash played the SAIGA game with the VEPR mags after they took over Molot.

50caliber123
February 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
what about ammunition? I plan on getting several AK magazines and some new S&W 59 magazines (Anyone know where I can get some of these?).

countryrebel
February 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
When the first ban was in all I remembered was kicking myself for not buying more mags:banghead:
The guns I plan on are,
1st- 50bmg
2nd- 223 pistols,ar and plr16
3rd-G3 or Fal
4th-Anything they say is evil

The Deer Hunter
February 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
On the list:
AR lowers
AK receivers
M1 receivers
pre ban AR uppers(with bayo lug-duh)

only1asterisk
February 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
Buy stripped lowers, but buy the parts too.

Why?

You save yourself $100+ doing it this way, even for the same rifle. More important, you deprive the federal gov. of $50 of FET revenue.

David

The Deer Hunter
February 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Oh, and plenty of high capacity magazines.

and an SKS here and there.

only1asterisk
February 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
Watch the group buy forum. I'm working on buys for rifles, magazines, ammo, lower receivers, uppers and parts kits. There is a thread there for posting you interests.

David

The Deer Hunter
February 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
Oh and some AP ammo-all calibers

and maybe some incindeary and such bullets

.50BMG too.

salthouse
March 6, 2007, 08:01 PM
I think the VEPR II and the VEPR K take standard AK mags. Other variants require VEPR mags. Anyone seen recent VEPR pricing? I'd like to get one prior to any ban that might occur.

Green Lantern
March 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
The democrats know full well that the AWB cost them the 1994 mid term elections, and I do not think they are stupid enough to try that again

McCarthy IS obviously stupid enough to try it again...!

She's either too dense to realize what the 1994 Ban cost the Dems, or carries too big a vendetta against gun owners to give a crap. I lean towards the second one...:what:

To the OP, I'm in no position to give advice, IMO. I'm just trying to buy an AR P.D.Q., and mags and AMMO as well.

For a "poor man's" answer, the SKS might be a good choice. Fairly cheap, and it's still villified as an "assault" weapon.

.......http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon3.gif

How long till the antis get the idea to add in "affordable" as an EVIL, "assault" feature???:barf:

fastbike
March 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
You can get an Olympic Plinker 16 for about $600. Forged recievers, A2 style. about $30 more w/ SS barrel.

EricTheBarbarian
March 6, 2007, 09:46 PM
whatever i buy, i know i will certainly be broke by the time the ban goes into effect:D

trbon8r
March 6, 2007, 10:14 PM
I got most of the basics covered in terms of my black gun buying needs when I lived in California before the 2000 ban there.

Recently I cleaned out the safe of a few "non essential" items and used the cash to buy some of the more exotic stuff that will be at the top of the gun grabber's hit list:

PTR-91
Beretta BM-59
ORF Galil receiver which I'm having built right now.

Right now I'm trying to convince myself that I need a semi auto Uzi, but I also really want that Dirty Harry Model 29 S&W I've been lusting after ever since I was a kid. :evil:

Green Lantern
March 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
Well, I was "proactive" and picked up some .223 and 30-rounders for the AR which I HOPE to have soon.

Lucky thing I guess, the mags are backordered. The ammo? I ordered it at around 10 this morning and it's already left the warehouse! :D

collateral
March 8, 2007, 01:29 AM
I am going out within the next week or two and buying a M1A from springfield armory, I am debating right now if I want to get a Mini 14 or an AR type. I also am going to get a ton of mags for both.
If I was 21 I'd also probably pick up a glock with some 20 rounders, but that seems to be out of the question.

Quick question... should I buy spare parts for them? and if so, would you reccomend enough parts to completely rebuild the gun?
I dont know if it will be legal to buy the parts after the ban passes/if the ban passes, and I dont want to be stuck with a busted gun for the next decade haha.

ReadyontheRight
March 8, 2007, 01:36 AM
Buy surplus AKs. No matter what happens, they will go up in value.

nobody_special
March 8, 2007, 01:48 AM
Collateral... some spare parts might be legal, but you should definitely get some spares.

Handguards, flash hiders, and other "forbidden features" will not be available if HR1022 becomes law.

I'd also pick up a few spare parts for things that are more likely to require replacement: mag springs, firing pins, extractors, ejectors, whatever.

ReadyontheRight
March 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
Check out www.odcmp.com for the upcoming M1 Carbine sales.

We need to get those things out of the Government's hands.

trbon8r
March 8, 2007, 11:24 AM
I just want to add that everyone needs to be writing letters to their elected officials.

It's all well and good to buy the stuff you want and be prepared for the worst, but it's also the obligation of every person on this forum to make sure this nonsensical law doesn't happen in the first place.

richardschennberg
March 8, 2007, 07:22 PM
Has anyone noticed that the antis hate W, but they give his administration power to confiscate property and jail people for "weapons charges," and to allow the military and some law enforcement to have exclusive access to power?
How is it possible to be against the detention of "combatants," suspects, and material witnesses, yet give the same government enough power to implement concentration camps or even mass killings at a moment's notice?

Green Lantern
March 8, 2007, 10:27 PM
I just want to add that everyone needs to be writing letters to their elected officials.

It's all well and good to buy the stuff you want and be prepared for the worst, but it's also the obligation of every person on this forum to make sure this nonsensical law doesn't happen in the first place.

Noted, and it can't be stressed enough!

To paraphrase a quote I once heard:

"Prepare for the worst, but work towards the best!"

gezzer
March 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
Stop the defeatist attitude. Work to stop it. Wake up 3rd party voting gave us the first CLINTON.

silentpoet
March 9, 2007, 10:39 PM
ANd voting republican got us the 86 and 89 bans. No thanks.

1911JMB
March 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
I plan to get 40 more FAL magazines, a milled receiver AK (decided I want an AK built to last) a grocery bag's worth of AK mags, and a folding 6 position stock for my FAL. I'm not gonna have the money until the summer, so I hope no legislation is passed in the mean time.

I've got the money for the FAL mags and will be getting those in short order. I might also get a few more 10/22 bannana mags. Even if they don't work too good, they are fun once in a while.

lacoochee
March 9, 2007, 11:27 PM
Silentpoet you're being silly, congress was controlled by Democrats when both of those laws were passed. Of course a Republican president signed them into law so I will give you that, but if you think the Democrats will suddenly become the party of individuality and see the light when it comes to the Bill of Rights keep on dreaming. If you don't like the candidates run yourself or get involved in the process of promoting a candidate that more closely agrees with you. If you think the whole thing is rigged and you won't be able to change the system or make it better, buy an AK and head for the hills. Who knows maybe one day you will get your own line of t-shirts.....

Meanwhile, if AWB2 passes I was thinking about buying receivers instead of complete rifles and dressing them up and snapping a photo to show their pre-ban configuration.

gezzer
March 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
QUOTE]ANd voting republican got us the 86 and 89 bans. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Wake up!

The 86 was a DEMORCRAT last minute addition. The 86 bill did plenty for us. I for one was sick of recording 22lr sales and keeping the records. Transporting through the freaking anti-gun states became legal so a hunter going from the south to ME would not spend time in Attica. It allowed non-FFL's to get ammo and components shipped directly to them.

The part I hate was the MG ban for new guns to civilians. Regan made a mistake more likely due to his advisors.

The 89 ban was a big help to US makers as was the stinking 1968 act.
Neither of these was as bad as the Clinton Pogrom on FFL dealers and the Assault Weapon act of 1994, the Freaking Brady Bill, Waco and .gov GASSING kids same as another time in history.

Yes all the third party Ross Perot type voters are at fault for that.

Go ahead and vote 3rd party in spite of it:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

silentpoet
March 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
Yes we have more republican friends, but don't just blindly endorse voting for some jackass just because he has an R next to his name. I am proud to say I voted for Peroutka in 2004. Any other vote would not have been voting my conscience and that would have been truly throwing my vote away. Bush could not get my vote because he said he would sign an AWB.

If you enjoyed reading about "Before the "BIG BAN"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!