Any guitarists on this board? Slightly off-topic, but still very gun related.

PDA

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 02:53 AM
www.ammo-box-amps.com

I just saw this link on the Nuge forum. They look really cool and the sound clip sounds fairly good. A bit pricey, but not too outragous for a boutique amp head.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any guitarists on this board? Slightly off-topic, but still very gun related." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunsmith
February 22, 2007, 03:16 AM
I am a acoustic only but one of these days....thats cool

bill larry
February 22, 2007, 03:22 AM
Hmm...I play bass for a living...how would they make a bass head? Out of a gun crate? :D

bogie
February 22, 2007, 03:34 AM
Oh, you HAVE to be serious.

You can probably do as much for your sound with a Behringer V-amp...

It you REALLY are serious, think some major tubes. And some cabs. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Don't care what 'nuge sez...

bogie
February 22, 2007, 03:43 AM
Ahhh, but after I calmed down...

Several things...

Power supply.

Tubeage.

Power supply.

I mean, the thing is cute, but if it ain't glowin', it ain't goin'....

50 watts. Whoopsie. I mean, hey, I'm sorta impressed. Except that that the USSR stomped all over that concept years ago - and sovtek, ei, etc., does NICE tubes...

Oh, and another "concept." If the outift uses "too" many "quotes," thats a sign that they think that they are "smarter" than "you" are. And that you'll buy their "crap."

Oh, and they're built like tanks?

From what bleepin' era?

Campers, in mis-spec hardware, tubes went out a LONG time ago, except for the guitar and bass thangs...

So, hey, rock it out with the sovtek, or whatever YOU think sounds kewl, and lose these lusers...

Outlaw Man
February 22, 2007, 10:04 AM
They have a similar amp in on of our local guitar stores along with a plastic-looking guitar in the shape of a machine gun. It's cool for a gimmick, but you can get better tone from a chainsaw. I hope this one sounds a little better.

Can't remember what gun it was. I'm thinking it was Russian or Chinese, though I don't think it was an AK.

loki.fish
February 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
I try to play Bass.....but for $2000 I can buy a much better amp. For less than $1000 you can probably make your own. Cool idea though.

GreenFurniture
February 22, 2007, 10:37 AM
If only it had EL34s.

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 10:40 AM
bogie,

Are you serious? Its a modified design of the '59 Bassman circuit. I emailed him about it. Considering how much most boutique Bassman clones go for, it ain't toooo far out of the norm.

Biker
February 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
I run my electrics ('73 Strat and '63 Les Paul Junior set up for slide) through an old Bassman head and a Peavey Delta Blues amp. I a/b it live. Gotta be tubes.
Oh, and I have a holster velrcoed inside the back of the Peavey.;)

Biker

Axman
February 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
It's cool for a gimmick, but you can get better tone from a chainsaw.

"Went down town to see my second cousin, plays guitar, sounds like a chainsaw buzzin...cool is a rule but sometimes bad is BAD!"--Huey Lewis and the News

...sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

Kinda reminds me of the early Crate amps. Looking like the box it came in!

Yes, I am a guitarist, I am the Axman! (Goo-goo-ga-joob?)

Biker
February 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
Lennon is rolling over and over in his grave!

Biker

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 12:06 PM
Too gimmicky for me, I'm into tweed.

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
Too gimmicky for me, I'm into tweed.

lol....see my above post. Its a wolf in sheeps clothing. Or would that be the other way around depending on if you consider the wolf the the amp or the military style casing. ;)

Here is a sound clip of it.
http://www.ammo-box-amps.com/Audio/Ammo-Box-Amps-Demo-wet.mp3

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 12:14 PM
Bassman circuit eh? Well at least the guts are quality. Guitarists can be uncharacteristically conservative when it comes to gear, myself included. :)

billhilly66
February 22, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hi all,
Iím new around here but like Bill, I too am a professional musician in the DFW area and just had to chime in on this one. Iím going to have to come down on the ďgimmickyĒ side. Tubes-good, modified Bassman front end-good, 50 watts tube power-good, housing it in an ammo crate-borderline ridiculous. Thatís what ATA racks are for.

ETXhiker
February 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
Love my guns and I love my guitars, but that thing is ugly. Two grand? I'll stay with my Marshalls and Dr. Z's. But, hey, it is definately a conversation piece. Thanks for posting it Outlaws. :)

Guitar player since 10 years old (1965), shooter since age of 6. Mostly Blues and Rock n Roll on Strats, Teles and a PRS through various Marshall, Fender, Ampeg and Dr. Z tube amps. Latest gun? Marlin .45-70...

Welcome, BillHilly.

Oh, and I have a holster velrcoed inside the back of the Peavey.
Yeah, Biker. I used to play some of those clubs too.

Biker
February 22, 2007, 12:51 PM
I've been lusting after a PRS but thus far my lust has gone unsatiated.
As a professional musician, I carry a .380 in my left hip pocket when I play live in addition to the .38 snubby in the back of my Delta Blues and the Taurus 450 on my ankle.
I also keep an empty Miller long neck sitting on top of my amp - next to the one I'm drinking.
;)

Biker

Robo_Railer
February 22, 2007, 12:51 PM
If only it had EL34s.The guitar community has its "what's the best caliber" discussions, too. ;)
I dunno from tube types, I just know what I like for sounds.

Would it be rude to build custom speaker cabs in the shape of Claymores, and point them at your audience? "THIS SIDE TOWARD AUDIENCE" :p

All kinds of potential here for pedals, etc., with gun-related names. Then ya got your high-capacity pick magazines, your belt-fed string changer, your Hogue whammy-bar handle . . .
I need more coffee. :D

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 12:55 PM
I just thought it was a neat idea. I have built a few guitar pedals and like to use odd stuff to put them inside. I hadn't even thought of an ammo can. It was one of those "omg why didn't I think of that" kind of things. Not something for commerical sales, but just for fun. I think a Bigg Muff circuit inside one would really cool. I like that kind of stuff for home recording because it just make stuff fun to use. But now that I have the idea, I am going to do that. A Big Muff and a Fuzz Face in one ammo can. :D

But ya, the first thing that didn't ring right was when I realized it was a tube amp, and then realized it was a serious tube amp, and not just a low wattage one. How the thing doesn't overheat and melt tubes I don't know. Lord knows the AC30 would shorten tube life enough from a lack of ventilation. There are three 12AX7 tubes, two 5881 (aka 6L6) power tubes, and a 5AR4 rectifier. Then there is the tranny. How that all fits in a .223 ammo can, I don't know. How it breathes, even with a fan, is beyond me.

ryoushi
February 22, 2007, 01:01 PM
Give me a good Les Paul or Telecaster and a humble Princeton Reverb and I'm a happy guy. Those guys over on Nugent's site will love em though.

SIRVEYR666
February 22, 2007, 01:03 PM
Death Metal guitarist here!:evil: I play Fender American Standards (awesome rigs, but not very metal) and a Brian Moore Custom, through a Peavey head (for that Midwest death grind sound). I keep my pedals and cables in a .50 Cal ammo can.:cool:

Axman
February 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
Add to the set-up: a camouflage Telecaster, an olive-drab ammo belt for a sling, fatigues for stage wear and a Humvee limosine! Heck, you just might get laughed right out of the club!

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 01:20 PM
This is gonna get locked soon.

Reissue Gretsch Silver Jet>Morley Bad Horsie>Seymour Duncan Twin Tube>'68 Fender Bandmaster>'70 Marshall 4x12 w/V30's.

GHS Boomer 11's, Tortex blue picks, LatchLake Black-Chrome slides, Svetlana tubes, George L cables.

Biker
February 22, 2007, 01:22 PM
And, SuperNaught, you're a shooter no doubt. Right?

Biker:)

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
Ummm, gun content-gun content-gun content, got it!

I have similar taste in firearms and guitars/amps. I really like proven designs but with updated technology. F'rinstance I love my Gretsches but Sperzel locking tuners make 'em even better. Just as I love the 1911 design, but beavertails and bushingless barrels make them even better IMHO

Whew...

SIRVEYR666
February 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
METAL FOREVER!:evil:

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
\m/

WOLVERINES!!!!:D

Biker
February 22, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yup , Supernaught, I tend to customize a bit too. I put an old Gibson Humbucker in the neck position on my Strat, an original Gibson P-90 in the middle position and left the rear stock.
I installed a bone nut on my '63 Gibson - seems to be a bit warmer for slide work.
Then again, I tend to buy carry guns that work out of the box. Other guns I'l chop on, but my everyday guns better work without a single glitch as the factory promised, disregarding grips, of course.

Biker:)

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 01:44 PM
P-90's, love those noisy things. I've been experimenting with Graphlon nuts, not quite as warm as bone, but a lot more slippery.

We need to talk about motorcycles too, I've been meaning to figure out a way to mount my 870 Express on my blacked-out '79 FL. Way better than a horn and loud pipes IMHO.:evil:

BTW Biker, I use to be a regular over on RMH until I got too busy, you over there much?

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
Just since everyone thinks its gonna get locked, if you like tube amps and like experiementing, check out THD. I used to have the BiValve, but sold it to finance my Cooper Varminter in .204. :D You can use any octal-based preamp or power tube...so basically anything that is even remotely common. You can use anything in any combination. But its just awesome to run a KT88 next to a small little 6K6GT. :neener:

Biker
February 22, 2007, 01:50 PM
Yup, I'm having my puss-pad backrest customized this year with a swing out compartment (velcroed) that will accomodate a G27 or a .38 snubbie. A '49 Harley should be totin' a 1911, but every once in a while, I go against tradition. 'Sides, the 1911 is too big for this application.

Loud pipes save lives!
:neener:

Biker

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
I wanted one of the THD rack mount amps in a really bad way, they are just so expensive. I tried a demo unit at GC in LA years ago that had KT88's in it and it had the widest most beautiful dynamic and frequency range of any amp I've ever heard. I bet I could find one on ebay for a lot less now.

I blew all my spare cash on the new STI Spartan (<------GUN CONTENT), no new amps or guitars for me for a while...or guns...(<------GUN CONTENT)

rustymaggot
February 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
ive had ideas of mounting a cb radio in a ammo box and bolting it under the dash of my buddies topless offroad truck. it would be like a detachable face weater proof cb. problem so far has been finding a cb the right size and shape.

SnWnMe
February 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
Guitar if you wanna rock her, bass if you wanna funk her.

http://www.alvarfamily.com/bassfamily.JPG

And like all proper bass players, I have an SVT and a fridge.

http://www.alvarfamily.com/springersvt640.JPG

Biker
February 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
Gotta love a fretless. Too bad you can't Rock out with your Glock Out!;)

Biker

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 02:06 PM
I wanted one of the THD rack mount amps in a really bad way, they are just so expensive. I tried a demo unit at GC in LA years ago that had KT88's in it and it had the widest most beautiful dynamic and frequency range of any amp I've ever heard. I bet I could find one on ebay for a lot less now.

Wow I didn't know they shipped any with KT88's. Thought it was either 6L6 or EL34. :cool: But a used UniValve can be had on eBay for $600, and a BiValve for about $900. The construction is beyond top notch.

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 02:07 PM
A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilization in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks.

The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very bad if drums stop."

The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!"

The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! Very bad!"

The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?"

Wide-eyed, the boy responds, " . . . BASS SOLO!!!"

SuperNaut
February 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
Wow I didn't know they shipped any with KT88's. Thought it was either 6L6 or EL34.

I don't know if they ever did, the demo just happened to have them. first time I'd ever heard KT88's.

But a used UniValve can be had on eBay for $600, and a BiValve for about $900. The construction is beyond top notch.

[mr.burns] Excellent... [/mr.burns]

Robo_Railer
February 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
Wide-eyed, the boy responds, " . . . BASS SOLO!!!"Hee, hee. No drummer jokes, though, or this'll get locked fersure. There are just way too many of those. :p

Thanks for reminding me that I have to try to track down my Hagstrom 8-string. Had to leave it behind when I moved up here, but I did manage to bring all my guns with me when I moved. <==Obligatory gun content compliance

My geetar/amp collection is "complete" for the time being, but I'll be looking for a new semi-auto pistol sometime in the future. <==More OGC :cool:

Biker
February 22, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yup, in every band, there's two or three musicsians...and a drummer.

Biker

ryoushi
February 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
What's the difference between a musician and a savings bond?

Eventually a savings bond matures and earns something.

Outlaws
February 22, 2007, 02:53 PM
What's the difference between a musician and a savings bond?

Eventually a savings bond matures and earns something.

:D :D :D :D :D
That is getting emailed.

Justin
February 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
This one's pretty much off topic.

Would be good for APS (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/), though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any guitarists on this board? Slightly off-topic, but still very gun related." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!