AR15 Building Party

PDA

only1asterisk
February 22, 2007, 02:04 AM
As part of my idea to get everyone possible an AR15 of their very own http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=257221 I thought there might be a need for some more experienced people to help folks who have never put together an AR before. I think the best way would be small informal get togethers at someone's home or better, the range.

Would anyone be interested in attending something like this or hosting one in your area?

David

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Building Party" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thumper723
February 22, 2007, 02:06 AM
I can help in the Corpus Christi area..

gdvan01
February 22, 2007, 02:09 AM
Is this an underhanded way to get us together for an Amway presentation?

:D

only1asterisk
February 22, 2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks!

It may be a few weeks before we see our first group buy completed, but I'll keep updating everyone that's interested.

David

only1asterisk
February 22, 2007, 02:15 AM
Is this an underhanded way to get us together for an Amway presentation?

I wouldn't advise that, the last THR get together I was able to attend guns outnumbered people by 10 to 1 or more.

David

mkh100
February 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
Im up for helping to organize such a thing in Central Florida.

We have to be aware of legal issues and such that we may confront. For example on an AK Reciever Flat the guy building the Rifle MUST do the bending, things like that.

Of course with the AR the lower is just that....a built lower, so its a simpler thing to assemble in many ways.

Just thoughts......

s&w 24
February 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'd Like to see one in MN and I'm sure I can get the space to do it and maybe some expert help if I can get people to show. The guys at bill's gunshop do alot of buisness with DPMS so maybe theres a way to get a deal if we get people that are willing.

May also be able to do something with nodakspud for a AK build party. I'll talk to mitch about this if there is interest.

El Tejon
February 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Brilliant idea!:cool:

Like a quilting circle.:D

Or maybe like an assembly line? Dozens upon hundreds of AR being built . . .*shudders with delight*

No_Brakes23
February 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
These maintenance parties are a good way to share knowledge and tools. I learned a lot about my motorcycle through similar "garage parties", and I think an AR/AK/FAL build party would be awesome.

usp_fan
February 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
Glad to help out in North Dakota.

--usp_fan

dleong
February 28, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'd Like to see one in MN and I'm sure I can get the space to do it and maybe some expert help if I can get people to show. The guys at bill's gunshop do alot of buisness with DPMS so maybe theres a way to get a deal if we get people that are willing.

I'm in MN (southern Twin Cities metro area) and would be willing to help out with an AR "Build Party" too.

s&w 24
March 3, 2007, 03:27 AM
PM in bound

The Deer Hunter
March 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
Great idea. But would the "build party" be more of a get together where people build stuff or would it have some instuction?

Because, I would imagine alot of people who would attend something of the sort most likely dont know how to assemble an AR already.

only1asterisk
March 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
But would the "build party" be more of a get together where people build stuff or would it have some instuction?

It could be either or both. Ideally there would be someone present that has done it before to help out. Interested hosts shouldn’t have any trouble finding experienced volunteers or participants.

I just had the idea. I thought it other people might like. There really isn’t a pattern to follow or anything.

David

madmike38
March 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
that would be awesome,so challenged people like me could learn to build a lower.

offthepaper
March 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
That would be such a great thing to attend. I've often thought of the idea, but if I knew there could be immediate guidance (or disaster control) there while I was actually doing the build, I think that would be the deal maker for me to take the plunge and make a kit purchase. If one would come to the Baltimore area, I'd be interested. And what a way to really peak the local interest in the shooting sports and 2A than an advertised build party. I think the turnout would be tremendous. It's a great idea.

bdcochran
March 4, 2007, 08:20 PM
I am not at home right now. Away on a family emergency. Will be back to normal in about 10 days. I am done building lower receivers. I have the tooling from The Tannery that will be up for sale. Send email to bdcochran@verizon.net if interested. I will take photos on my return to my hoem and respond to all inquiries.

Dravur
March 4, 2007, 08:29 PM
in the denver area

gunsmith
March 4, 2007, 08:31 PM
Who would want to do one in northern NV?

ramis
March 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
Anyone in KY interested? I'm a trainee not a trainer. :uhoh:

rbernie
March 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
I can't host, but I can supply the tools and experience to supervise an upper and/or lower build party in the DFW area.

RCR29
March 5, 2007, 12:05 AM
ramis, where at in KY are you?

Patriot-Brewer
March 5, 2007, 01:28 AM
ooh, ooh, I'm up for one is southern Califor....oh wait, nevermind.:(

No_Brakes23
March 5, 2007, 02:42 AM
Hey Pat Brew, Y'all could have a OLL gripless AR lower build up or a stripper clip upper FAL build party.

chrisslamar
March 5, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'd be happy to help anyone in the Chicagoland area, I live in the north-west suburbs so let me know.
*Note* Cannot be done in cook county, but I'm willing to travel to lake, kane, du page, etc...

--Chris

ramis
March 5, 2007, 09:42 AM
I'm in Georgetown, north of Lexington.

gunsmith
March 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
For instance I have been wanting to build an AR and plan to this summer
but I have no idea how to.

only1asterisk
March 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
For instance I have been wanting to build an AR and plan to this summer but I have no idea how to.

Go right ahead! This thread was just to suggest the idea and see if people would want to participate.

David

gunsmith
March 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
you anywhere near NV?

only1asterisk
March 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm in West Virginia, farther away from NV than I'd like.

David

funfaler
March 6, 2007, 08:03 AM
I am near Louisville, KY, and would be happy to help.

Also, I am hosting an Appleseed near Carrollton, Kentucky (45-50minutes out of Louisville and Cincinatti) and that would be a great time to shake out the new ARs and get the shooters aquainted with their new tools.

March 31-April 1 Kids under 21 and Military shoot FREE, Camping FREE

Dave R
March 7, 2007, 01:22 AM
Is this an underhanded way to get us together for an Amway presentation?Now there's a thought--a multi-level sales organization specializing in Stripped AR lowers and parts kits...

Powderman
March 7, 2007, 01:48 AM
I'd like to participate in one in the Western Washington area. :D

jimmylove
March 7, 2007, 09:13 AM
I'd be very interested in North Carolina.

Fred Fuller
March 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
O1*,

Really neat idea you have there. If you get it going, I'm in the SE corner of NC, handy to NE SC. I have tools, small parts spares, and experience building ARs and would be happy to help a noob get started.

lpl/nc (hey, I know my way around more than just 870s...)

nitforfun
March 8, 2007, 09:51 PM
hello all

does anyone know where a 1/2-28 tap can bought

it is the thread size on the muzzle for the flash hider

jimmylove
March 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
Lee Lapin, I think you just volunteered to teach a few folks! :neener:

I know next to nothing about building one, but I have been very interested in actually doing it.

Kentucky
March 9, 2007, 09:08 PM
I would be very interested in a Kentucky meet! Would love southern Kentucky or Tennessee but I would drive to Louisville, Lexington, etc for something like this.

rsracer65
March 11, 2007, 08:21 PM
I have 3 lowers coming in from Superior Arms out of IA in a couple of weeks and could have fun building rifles and meeting the locals!

I can also supply some of the parts at decent prices if anyone wants to PM me they can with what you are looking for.

Adam

MinnMooney
March 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'd sure be up for a build in Minnesota. I'd be the student, however, as I've never built one before. I live near DPMS so a kit from them would be great.
I just bought my 1st AR-15 a year ago and am totally ga-ga over it's design, accuracy, dependability and - yes - cool looks. It's the Bushmaster "Varminter" in 24" fluted barrel w/1:9" twist. It has a super-crisp, light trigger that I'd want on a build. I'd love to build a different caliber (like Olympic Arms' .223 WSSM) for my lower, if that's possible.

4v50 Gary
March 25, 2007, 12:15 AM
I would, but in ************ we're not trusted with ARs.

only1asterisk
April 11, 2007, 01:03 AM
If there is anybody interested still interested in building their own, I think I will be doing a group buy on Stag uppers in a couple of weeks.

David

zoom6zoom
April 11, 2007, 01:22 AM
does anyone know where a 1/2-28 tap can bought.
it is the thread size on the muzzle for the flash hider

Not sure where to tell you to get one, but make sure you're looking for the right thing. I believe you are looking for a threading die - they make threads on the outside of things. A tap makes threads on the inside of holes.

Didn't want to nitpick, but would hate to have you order something and get the wrong thing, waste time and money.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Building Party" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!