shown in a televised movie, leaves me curious

PDA

alan
January 6, 2003, 07:19 PM
I have some familiarity with the AK-47 and it's variants, but not all that much, so bear with me please.

Recently saw on television, Platoon. Quite close to the end of the film, after the horrendous night battle, the character played by Charley Sheen, is shown "coming to" in the morning. He seemed uncertain as to whether or not he was alive. In any case, he got up and looked around, picking up a "battlefield" weapon, what appeared to be an AK-47. Curiously, this one had a FOLDING KNIFE BAYONETE. I had seen this arrangement on Russian made SKS's, however I didn't think that the AK-47 was so made. Were they, or was what I saw simply a case of "hollywood" and "context". Anyone know??

If you enjoyed reading about "shown in a televised movie, leaves me curious" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
triggertime
January 6, 2003, 08:57 PM
The Chicom Type 56 variant of the AK-47 had a folding bayonet and was the most common rifle used by the Vietcong during the Viet Nam war.

So I'd say that what you saw was an accurate depiction and not hollywood hokum.

rufe-snow
January 6, 2003, 09:52 PM
The gentlemans original question refered specifically to a "KNIFE BAYONET"
rather then the spike bayonet that was common on the ChiCom AK-47. I have gone through all my limited reference material, couldn't find any pictures or documentation regarding the use of a folding "KNIFE BAYONET" on the Chinese AK-47's.

alan
January 7, 2003, 12:40 AM
Responders:

The folding bayonete depicted was definately, and clearly a knife, rather than the spike type. By the way, the rifle depicyted was an AK-47 type, rather than the SKS, which didn't have long curved magazines, so far as I know.

Jim Watson
January 7, 2003, 12:51 AM
My references are very limited, but neither Ezell nor Smith show an AK with a folding blade bayonet. Don't depend on Hollywood prop departments for gun information.

Detritus
January 20, 2003, 10:49 PM
i know that there are SKS types out there with a folding Blade rahter than a spike. and to me it would make sense from a logistical standpoint for ALL of the weapons, in a country's supply system, that have a folding Bayonet, to have the same mechanical and attatchment items/system, something the chinese would grasp too. so it seems entirely possible that an SKS folding blade was placed on a Type 56 (in both realms, reality AND hollyweird)

that being said, i CAN remember seeing civilian models of the Type 56 in stores that had the Blade instead of the spike.

Jim K
January 21, 2003, 12:51 AM
I can't find out for sure about the military versions without some digging, but there are folding blade bayonets on both my pre-ban AK-47 and on my SKS's.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "shown in a televised movie, leaves me curious" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!