Magnetic 7.62x54R?

PDA

dispatch55126
February 22, 2007, 11:12 PM
If I understand correctly, when they say the bullet is magnetic it means there is a steel core. What is the purpose of this? Does it give the round a lighter weight, light AP capabilities or both?

If you enjoyed reading about "Magnetic 7.62x54R?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Daemon688
February 22, 2007, 11:16 PM
My understanding is, "it's cheaper".

mswestfall
February 22, 2007, 11:17 PM
It is an armor piercing bullet.

The bullet is rigid so the energy is not lost in the deformation process. Less energy loss, smaller surface area yields penetration.

Husker1911
February 22, 2007, 11:23 PM
I've put a magnet to 7.62 X 39 ammo, ammo sold as HP or SP, and NOT steel core. The magnet still attracted the bullet. FWIW.

Daemon688
February 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
All the steel cores inside wolf ammunition is not AP. It's just "mild steel" and as I was told it's because they're cheaper to manufacture that way.

RecoilRob
February 22, 2007, 11:43 PM
There are several reasons to use a steel core in a bullet. It has a much reduced density which means the projectile will be longer than the equivalent weight lead core...which will increase the Ballistic Coeficient. Also will decrease the cost a bit and also increase the penetration a tad.

Lead core that still is magnetic means a mild steel jacket. Copper washed to prevent corrosion and, performance wise, not much different than a gilding metal jacket.

rockstar.esq
February 23, 2007, 01:56 AM
Magnetic attraction typically indicates iron content such as steel. Just make sure you're actually checking the bullet not the case as this ammo is frequently cased in steel not brass!

ArchAngelCD
February 23, 2007, 02:10 AM
The Czech 147 gr Silver Tip 7.62X54R is Steel Core and it is Armor Piercing. (blue-green box w/sliver stripe) I have personally shot that bullet through a 3/8" plate from 50 yards out. (out of my 91/30) It went right through the plate gents!!

Full Clip
February 23, 2007, 03:23 AM
Commercial Wolf x54r doesn't have a steel penetrator, but the jacked is bi-metal, which will attract a magnet for sure...

The Scandinavian
February 23, 2007, 03:44 AM
Wolf ammo sold here in Finland used to have bullets that attract a magnet. The material used was very mild (like a sort of soft iron).

Having said that the most recent batch I bought doesn't attract a magnet, and appears to be 'traditional' lead core and hard copper alloy jacket construction.

cracked butt
February 24, 2007, 12:48 AM
Its probably just steel jacketed. Cupronickel jackets will also be magnetic, though I'm not sure any 7.62x54r ammo has had cupronickel jackets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magnetic 7.62x54R?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!