Hearing protection & shooting long guns

PDA

10-Ring
February 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
I have not had to deal w/ this because I'm primarily a handgun shooter. Recently, I've started shooting my 9mm AR and have found that to achieve the right cheek weld, my ear muffs move & I end up losing hearing protection. As a result, I have started wearing ear plugs. My question is, what am I missing or doing wrong? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Hearing protection & shooting long guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GreenFurniture
February 22, 2007, 11:12 PM
I don't know but I did it too and that's why I use ear plugs as well.

taliv
February 22, 2007, 11:15 PM
nothing. that's a common affliction.

however, keep in mind that your head should be vertical when shooting an AR. keep your head straight and push the stock further into your cheek instead of gently resting your cheek on the stock and tilting your head until you can see through the sites. the result will be that your muffs will be a little further away and less likely to lose their seal around your ear.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hearing protection & shooting long guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!