30-06 ammo question

PDA

jaytex1969
February 23, 2007, 12:25 AM
I just picked up an old Remington 721. I've never owned this caliber before and I'd like some opinions.

Is there any reason not to fire Lake City or Greek M2 surplus through it?

Are there any differences I should be aware of between commercial SP and surplus FMJ, besides the obvious projectile construction differences?

The stock is ragged out on this rifle and I'm thinking of making it my first "custom" project. Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Jay

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
February 23, 2007, 12:32 AM
No reason at all. There is not the difference in commercial and military .30-06 that you read about for 7.62/.308 and 5.56/.223 on the Internet (which is somewhat overblown, it is mostly oversize chambers for crapola wartime ammunition and foreign procurement.)

Military brass differs in .30-06, load according to brass weight guidelines.

NORTEXED
February 23, 2007, 12:37 AM
I really know of no reason not to. If there's any question about corrosive or not, be sure and clean the rifle after use, I do everytime anyway, just OCD I guess. My pride and joy is a sporterized Springfield 03, and it shoots surprisingly well with some surplus stuff. :)

Titan6
February 23, 2007, 01:15 AM
If you plan on hunting check your state laws. 30-06 will drop a deer in just about any loading if you do your part but many states won't let you hunt with FMJ rounds.

Mr White
February 23, 2007, 01:37 AM
The surplus uses a powder with a faster burn rate than the commercial. Using too slow of powder will create pressures too high for a Garand, but not a problem for a bolt gun. The gun was designed for the slower commercial powders and should function fine using the faster burning surplus powder.

Lupinus
February 23, 2007, 01:51 AM
for plinking the surplus will be fine

Just don't count on match grade accuracy out of the surplus

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!