Rate of Twist on Mosin Nagant?

PDA

rockstar.esq
February 23, 2007, 01:23 AM
So does anybody know for sure what the twist rate is on the Mosin Nagant?

A quick follow up question would be what is the twist rate on the SKS and AK series?

A cursory check seems to indicate that the SKS and AK have slightly different specs for twist rates which is odd considering they use the same cartridge. I once read that the 7.62x39 was speced with the same twist rate as the much much older 7.62x54R partly due to Russian economist thinking. I've yet to find significant evidence to prove it either way so I'm asking THR for some good information.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rate of Twist on Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr White
February 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
Rifling is 4 groove, right hand, 1 in 9 1/2" (24.1 cm.) twist for all models except the M28/30 which is a 1 in 10" (25.4 cm.) twist.
Quoted from 7.62x54r.net (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm)

I wonder if that 1/2" slower twist is what gives the 28/30s their rep as the most accurate MN.

7.62x54r.net is a great page for all kinds of info on MNs.

rockstar.esq
February 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks Mr. White, it appears that at least some SKS /AK series guns are rifled with EXACTLY the same twist rate, groove diameter etc! Lending credence to the aforementioned culprit of inaccuracy in AK's in particular.

slzy
February 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
what rate did the ppsh 41 have?

Hoppy590
February 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
for those of you who only speek Mosin. thats 10 line in .33 Arshin

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Rate of Twist on Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!