Can Firearms Be Stored In Bank Safe Deposit Box?

PDA

Skunkabilly
February 23, 2007, 01:02 PM
Legal or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can Firearms Be Stored In Bank Safe Deposit Box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
February 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
Depends on the law of the state the bank's in. There is no federal prohibition of the practice.

Come to think of it, there's another thread going on this subject: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3106107#post3106107

MechAg94
February 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
There was a guy in my home town that had a few hundred collector's item type firearms that were put out on display occasionally. I heard he stored them at one of the banks in their safe. The value of the collection was pretty impressive.

jnojr
February 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
Do not forget that the government has given themselves the "right" to seize the contents of safety deposit boxes. It's for the children or the War on Terror or something, and if you object you must be an Al Quaeda sympathizer subject to arrest without habeus corpus.

El Tejon
February 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
Fairly certain it would only be subject to the contract between you and the bank. Cannot imagine GWR would have a statute on it. Check it first.

Axman
February 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
Oh gosh, those guns could escape from the box and rob that bank! You know how they cause crime and all?

wdlsguy
February 23, 2007, 06:30 PM
BATFE has no problem with NFA firearms being stored in a safe deposit box. Can't imagine they would mind non-NFA firearms being stored in one.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m22

Skunkabilly
February 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
Well gee my bank doesn't have safe deposit boxes in any of its branches in Arizona. So much for that :p

El Tejon
February 23, 2007, 07:08 PM
Can't you just go to another bank, Skunk? There's one than one bank in GWR, right?:uhoh: :confused:

frostbiker
February 23, 2007, 07:18 PM
I work in a bank lobby and our rules are strict. No guns in the Safe Deposit area. But then again, due to privacy issues with Safe Deposit boxes, we are not supposed to know what is in your box.

That's our rule. I don't know about other banks. If we have reason to suspect, or outright know or find out you are storing a prohibited item (i.e. firearms and ammo, large quantities of cash, illegal drugs) we reserve the right to close out your box and your bank accounts. We're also required by law to report you to the proper authorities...but that only applies to suspicious cash activities tied to your safe box.

I always disclose the rules to the customers, but with the caveat that I'm not supposed to know what's in their box anyway, so not to worry.

Word of warning. Don't be late on your box payments. Set up auto debit and keep that account in a positive balance. When we get a box where no one has made a payment, or cannot contact the customer, we will go in and drill the box. The contents are removed and inventoried while we attempt to contact the customer. After a set period, most box contents are escheated to the state. Prohibited items like drugs and guns are turned over to law enforcement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can Firearms Be Stored In Bank Safe Deposit Box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!