FAL Maintenence Question - Magazines

PDA

Anthony
February 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a DSA SA-58 on order (my first FAL) and just got off the phone placing an order for 20 of their "Used in Good Condition" $5.00 apiece Steyr steel 20-round FAL magazines and 20 replacement springs.

Do any of THR's experienced FAL users have any comments about these magazines?

Any specific things to watch for when stripping these magazines for cleaning and maintenence?

Any common problems in replacing the springs?

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL Maintenence Question - Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scromp
February 23, 2007, 06:54 PM
Basically, "no." I found them to be in very good condition and really dead simple to deal with.

El Tejon
February 23, 2007, 07:10 PM
No problems to report. Mine have been in decent shape. Strip them and clean and lube. You should be fine.

So, what flavor of SA-58 did you get?

Anthony
February 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
It is an SA-58 Standard with a few small modifications based on the input of other FAL rifle owners, some reviews I have read, and my own tastes.

HorseSoldier
February 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
Surplus FAL mags seem to be somewhat hit and miss, but the ones I've ordered from DSA (about a half dozen along the way) have all been problem free. Like the other people said, clean them up and lubricate them, maybe change the springs but I'd try them on the range first, most probably don't need it.

Grayrider
February 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
I have found our $5 mags pretty good on the whole. I have around 15 or 20 I use as range mags, and none have had issues. Of course I cannot vouch for all of the ones we have. The $12 mags we have are actually pretty much new magazines. We don't list them as such because when you say "new" people expect spotless, and these show some handling/storage marks. Either should serve you well. At $5 each and buying in quantity, you have plenty to work with. When using used mags I tend to just keep close track of each one as I shoot, so I can segregate any that may have issues.

John

brentwal
February 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
DSA is a very good source for mags, I've never had isuses with any I've gotten from them, new or used.

Chuck R.
February 24, 2007, 04:21 PM
I bought 30 of them back when I bought my SA58. This is when they came with brand new springs, which I still have somewhere in a box.

All the mags I've received are serviceable, and quite a few are just as nice as the one that came with my rifle. I've never had a problem with any of them. My last order I specified all Steyr mags and most of those were "like new".

Chuck

Seven High
February 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
What type of lubricant do you use to lubricate a FAL magazine? I have cleaned the insides of mine but never lubricated them!

El Tejon
February 24, 2007, 11:30 PM
I like something heavy on big springs. Something that will stick like on 1911s or M1/M14s, like Kellube or Gunbutter. Go light.

HiroProX
February 25, 2007, 12:22 AM
My L1A1 hasn't had a single issue with them. Presently waiting on my latest order of three.

I try to buy three every other paycheck.

s&w 24
February 25, 2007, 01:43 AM
If you want to go crazy on these you could gunkote the mag bodys and molycoat the springs.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL Maintenence Question - Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!