Where Do You Place Yourself?

PDA

model4006
February 24, 2007, 02:45 AM
which of these categories do you consider yourself?

just curious to see the diversity on this board.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where Do You Place Yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CWL
February 24, 2007, 02:48 AM
please list your categories.

model4006
February 24, 2007, 02:48 AM
sorry i was still making the poll, surprised you could see it, lol.

thexrayboy
February 24, 2007, 02:54 AM
I tell people I'm so anti big government I make Limbaugh look liberal. I personally think we could do with a Federal government at most one third the size of the current one. Most of what they do could be done better, cheaper and more efficiently at the state and local level.

Nomad, 2nd
February 24, 2007, 02:57 AM
I say I am not right wing... I am right wing tip!

crashm1
February 24, 2007, 03:08 AM
Just call me a social liberal and extreme fiscal conservative. I'm with xrayboy I'd like to .gov mucho smaller and streamlined. I'd be pleased to buy a cake and a dozen cookies at the next military or corporate/social welfare bake sale but I don't much like to see a big chunk of my check go to away week in and week out and seeing it go to things I don't much believe in (insert Iraq/WosDs/Congressional Pork rant here).

wooderson
February 24, 2007, 03:27 AM
I'm on the left, but I ain't a liberal.

denfoote
February 24, 2007, 03:41 AM
I'm about two steps to the right of John Birch!!!

Prince Yamato
February 24, 2007, 05:05 AM
I like buying guns. I hate paying taxes. That about sums up my views.

bigun15
February 24, 2007, 05:13 AM
If someone asks what I am I say libertarian. If they don't know it I explain it.

sacp81170a
February 24, 2007, 07:54 AM
I'm a "little L" libertarian, meaning that I agree in the main with Libertarian principles, just not completely with the current Libertarian party.

Ala Dan
February 24, 2007, 08:00 AM
I'm in favor of representation, without taxiation~! NO big gumb'it~! ;) :D

koja48
February 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
I like the right to buy, keep, use, & bear arms; I don't mind paying my "fair share" of taxes to live in the USA; I resent having to bear the tax burden of others.

dracphelan
February 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
I chose Libertarian, though I am not a member of the party. I don't agree with all of their stances and they are to willing to nominate just about anyone who is willing to run.

geekWithA.45
February 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
small l libertarian, strategically allied with the GOP, for the time being.

M2 Carbine
February 24, 2007, 01:09 PM
I believe in personal responsibility and doing the right thing, so by today's standards I'm pretty far right.

QuestionEverything
February 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
The lead GOPers trumpet personal responsibility for the masses ("If your job got outsourced, it's your own fault!") but they rarely apply the same principles to themselves, it seems ("Our poor performance in the Iraq war and sluggish economy are all Clinton's fault!"). I maintain that the state must uphold the maximum possible freedom for individual citizens while curtailing the activities of corporations and other organic entities, which have a long record of trampling individual rights. That makes me a liberal, a libertarian or an anarchist according to different people.

armedandsafe
February 24, 2007, 01:52 PM
Small "l" libertatian, here. We make a terrible mistake when we allow our hired hands to call themselves "lawmakers," :barf: rather than "representatives." :fire:

Pops

bumm
February 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
Philosophically, I'm a Libertarian. I'd like to see government out of our daily lives and businesses, and shrunk to a fraction of it's present size. However, I vote conservative since at this time, the Libertarians don't have a chance winning at the national level. The Republicans may disgust me sometimes, but not nearly as much as the Democrats. And unfortunately, a Libertarian vote is one vote that isn't against the Dems. That's just cold, hard, reality.
Marty

TallPine
February 24, 2007, 02:08 PM
You left out "Anarchist" :p

BigFatKen
February 24, 2007, 02:10 PM
President Jefferson ran the Govn'm with 4 Scribes and one more employee. We could try for that.

Geno
February 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
I'm so sick of the whole of politicians that I'm ready to file for an exploratory committee. :banghead:

Edit to add: I took the quiz and scored 31.

Doc2005

lee n. field
February 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
Closest to L., but in a bunch of ways I don't fit that well either.

obxned
February 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
I don’t believe in taxes on businesses – business pays no tax except what they get from their customers, who are generally unaware of how much of the cost of the product is taxes. That is why such taxes are so popular with the folks in DC.

I believe in a strong education system. I was lucky. I was in school during the Sputnik era. Fears that the Soviets were light years ahead of us fostered a climate in which I got a really good education, with lots of math, science, English and history.

I believe every citizen has the right to do whatever he or she likes, as long as it does not interfere with their the rights of others.

I don’t care what your feelings are, the King James Version of the Bible and the works of Shakespeare are the basis for the English language and must be taught in school. The Ten Commandments (and the Magna Charta) are the basis for our system of laws. Leave them stand in any public place where they are. If all you knew about the law was the Ten Commandments, you would do fine in this world.

I believe our ‘War on Drugs’ is a stupid, pointless waste of time, money and manpower. It has done nothing to keep drugs out of the country but has provided huge fortunes to drug lords. The high cost of these illegal drugs is the reason for much of our crime. Thousands of users are in prisons. These are non-violent offenders, and instead of costing us millions to keep them locked up, they should be out supporting themselves and their families. Prison crowding causes too many violent career criminals to be paroled to make room for more non-violent drug users. This is flat out stupid.

I believe we have too many lawyer, a medical system overcome by greed, cops hamstrung by Monday-morning-quarterbacking, news media chuck full of anti-American ad-peddlers, and just too darn many citizens without an ounce of initiative or self-reliance.

I firmly believe in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, along with the additional Amendments. Many have fought and died for these principals. Millions have lived and worked under them to create the rich and powerful nation we now have.

I firmly believe it is my right and my responsibility to feed, clothe, shelter and protect myself and my family.

I do not know which is the greatest danger to this nation: middle-eastern terrorist, the paranoid control freaks in Washington, or the huge number of my fellow citizens who truly are ‘sheep’! I believe it’s going to be a bumpy ride, and I will prevail!

Redneck with a 40
February 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
Based on this political quiz, http://franz.org/quiz.htm, my views are right in line with Jack Kemp.:D Pretty good place to be.:)

On the scale, 0 is a hard core leftist liberal, aka Jesse Jackson and 40 is a staunch conservative, aka Ronal Reagan. I scored a 28.:D

10-Ring
February 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
The older I get, it seems the more conservative I become :scrutiny:

mp510
February 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
I marked conservative and scored a 37 on the quiz. :)

shaggycat
February 24, 2007, 05:05 PM
I would call myself a classic liberal (NOT liberal in the sense used in America). Small government but the government definately has a role and needs to provide goods and services with substantial spillover benefits, because the free market system would underallocate resources to these goods and services because of the so called "free-rider problem".

For instance, we need a government which provides national defense because, if defense were privatized, someone who didn't contribute to purchasing it would be able to experience the same benefits as those who invested a large proportion of their income in defense. The same occurs with environmental improvement, roads, etc.

Edited to add: I took the quiz and received a 30.

Skunkabilly
February 24, 2007, 05:23 PM
Not sure. I'm a cross between a cactus-hugger and a gun-nut. Tucson fits me :D

I think I like the National Park Service too much to be called a true Libertarian.

davhina
February 24, 2007, 05:43 PM
I like buying guns. I hate paying taxes.
Agreed. Also:
1.Big on national defense
2.Less government=Better
3.Control of our borders
4.The constitution IS NOT open to "interpretation". Read it, what it says it what it means.
5. Limited welfare, not lifetime freebies
6. No socialized medicine...it has not worked anywhere else. Why will it work here? It won't.
7.Send hillary to france..she'll make a great president:evil:
I checked the "Conserative" box, but I am not sure what category the the above list puts me in.
"A concerned, willing to work for what i need, and want, patriot?"(way too long for a category name:neener: )

Eagle103
February 24, 2007, 06:52 PM
I would consider myself Libertarian except for I believe government should do what it can to protect children from drugs and abortion. What adults want to do to themselves is none of my business though.

shaggycat
February 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
4.The constitution IS NOT open to "interpretation". Read it, what it says it what it means.

The Constitution has to be interpreted. It is a very loosely written document. The founding fathers did so, quite ingeniously, to ensure that the Constitution would remain effective for years to come.

It is a living document that evolves to fit the current state of society. For instance, the prohibition of "cruel and unusual punishment" is not a precise and exact exclusion of certain punishment. Who interprets what is meant by cruel and unusual? The founding fathers didn't have the same means of punishment as we have now, so now that new punishments exist, someone must decide whether or not those new methods fit within that prohibition or not. Someone must make that interpretation, the United States has chosen the Supreme Court.

It is something that has to be done since so many new issues confront society. And even if you are a strict constructionist who believes that the document's original meaning should be followed (problems with such a view include the founding father's view on slavery, women's rights, etc), the court still must interpret whether or not these new issues fall within the borders of the Constitution of if it is silent on said issue (leaving it up to the state).

Titan6
February 24, 2007, 08:59 PM
but that isn't quite right either ao lets see;

Libertarian: Nope not really

1. I think we need a military of some kind and a home guard only just won't cut it.

2. Don't really want to deal with two dudes walking into my unit orderly room hand in hand telling me they want to get married either.

3. Small government, sure so long as it is powerful enough to protect the people from the conciousless Walmarts and robber barons and greedy foreign powers.

Drugs: I like the Swiss solution
Firearms: I like the Swiss solution
Big business, foreign policy? yep the same. Maybe I am Swiss? Nope, but they are a sensible people that have lived in peace, harmony and relative freedom for several hundred years with dozens of continental wars and several world wars occuring all around them.

hso
February 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
Bad poll. Too few categories. Categories that are the same. Categories that are wrong. Statists come in right and left wing flavors. A better education on what the political and social groups are would have helped your parse the question.

model4006
February 25, 2007, 02:23 AM
the way people are today with the number of issues there are today, i could have put 100 categories and it still would not have been enough for everyone to find one that exactly suits them.

sorry if i offended you in my simple poll. i didnt break any rules. i have to say your post wasnt very high road, maybe you could give some input that is useful in making the poll better, instead you basically said, "your poll sucks, and you're stupid".

i took this quiz http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

thats where i got the categories from.

thumper723
February 25, 2007, 02:32 AM
I picked Libertarian, although I do not agree with all of the LPs policies/stances.

1- Borders need to be controlled.
2- I tend to be conservative on social issues, but tend to be tolerant.
3- We need a standing military, back in the 1700s, it may not have been needed, but try affording/maintaining Aircraft or Submarines with a milita style system. Neccesscary Evil IMHO. Plus, I need a job.

g5reality
February 25, 2007, 03:13 AM
In some respects I'm very Conservative, in some I'm more liberal. I agree with many that:

Less government is Better
Control of our borders is important
The constitution IS NOT open to "interpretation".
Limited welfare, not lifetime freebies
No socialized medicine
I believe in a strong education system
I believe our ‘War on Drugs’ is a stupid
I believe we have too many lawyers not enough teachers/Scientists
I believe in personal responsibility and doing the right thing
I like the right to buy, keep, use, & bear arms
I believe a person can do whatever He/she wants to THEIR OWN body

I picked Centrist. I don't think I fall exclusively into any of the catagories. I do however support many of the Ideas in all gorups. EXCEPT the religous Right. That goes for ALL religions. Separation of religion & Government is what makes this country different. Don't get me wrong I believe in GOD I have read the bible both Old & New. Respecting ones belief's is one thing to govern becaus of them is another.

I like George Carlin:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5519239193881956619&q=George+Carlin

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

bouis
February 25, 2007, 03:42 AM
I think the short quiz is remarkably effective for the little time invested. Unfortunately, it copped out and called me a "Conservative Libertarian," frustrating your poll...

I had my girlfriend take it as well and this is what she ended up with. Depressing :(

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/158/statistwm1.gif

fatelk
February 25, 2007, 04:13 AM
Conservative with some libertarian tendencies. Looks like I fit in pretty well here.

Not to start an argument, but why is it that some people feel the need to point out how much they hate the "religous right"? I'm sure many on this forum identify themselves as such to some degree or another. I don't see the need to pick a fight by offending those less cynical about their faith.

bouis
February 25, 2007, 04:45 AM
Here's my own innovation [or at least "it's new to me], a "tolerance chart." [the red dot is my own score on the miniquiz, and also exactly how I'd describe myself].

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9237/draw2ap2.png

If you're green I'd consider your beliefs either "right" or as an acceptable alternative to mine; yellow is an ally who makes me uncomfortable, brown is distasteful and red in my eyes is downright evil.

Aside from my obvious preference for economic freedom, I think the interesting thing it shows is my love/hate relationship with hard social conservatives [who want the government to enforce it]. I'll never completely trust them but I'll tolerate economic interference from them before I will people who are socially liberal-- why? Because "do whatever you want" and "bouis will be responsible for paying for it when you hurt yourself" don't mix.

saspic
February 25, 2007, 05:38 AM
I got a 23. Right between Colin Powell and George H.W. Bush.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where Do You Place Yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!