In your Collection of M1's ...

PDA

eclancy
February 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Gentlemen,
...Garand's which one do you favor the most. What draws you to that rifle. Is it a safe queen or your best shooter. Or is it something about it that you can't put your finger on.
Thanks again
Clancy

If you enjoyed reading about "In your Collection of M1's ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneshooter
February 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
The ONE Garand that gets the most use is a "Blue Star" import. It used to keyhole at 50yds!! Sent it to Springfield Armoury, back when they did such things, for a complete rework. They sent me a Krieger barreled NM in 308 back! Did I mention that I also sent a LOT of green paper with the rifle?:D

Will shoot 1- 1/2" at 200yds consistently, even with ME behind the trigger.:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

PS I have, at this time, 8 Garands.

Tom C.
February 24, 2007, 01:38 PM
My favorite Garand is my DCM gun I got 20 yrs. ago. When I got it, accuracy was pretty bad. I took it to a local high power shooter and gunsmith. When I got it back, with the original GI barrel it will shoot into 1.5" with mil ball and about .75" with stuff it reall likes (at 100 yds.). It also has a slide on recoil pad so I can shoot it in shirt sleeves.

byf43
February 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Favorite Garand???

All of 'em!!!!!

My personal M1 that I purchased/received from the old DCM in 1985 was built in late 1943. Last time it was re-built was September, 1967, at the Springfield Armory.
Yes, it has a M A R L I N barrel on it, but, it sure shoots.

Another favorite. . . the club gun that I was 'issued' to use.
Serial # 3547xxx.
That rifle would shoot like no other. M2 Ball. . . handloads. . . it liked them all.

Eightball
February 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
I only have one, and it sure ain't a safe queen :D

Trempel
February 24, 2007, 03:56 PM
I only have one, acquired from CMP about a year ago. It's the heaviest and the lowest capacity rifle I've got, yet I still love it. It's got history behind it. When I hold it, it just feels right. It smells right, it sounds right and it definetelly shoots right.

Onmilo
February 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mine is a 4.2 Springfield I got back when the CMP was the DCM and it was one rifle per.

Neo-Luddite
February 24, 2007, 05:23 PM
SA built March 1944. Re gassed and barreled by SA in Genesso, re-parked in 1993. It stays dirty.

Falcon
February 24, 2007, 05:35 PM
Type 2 NM...

U.S.SFC_RET
February 24, 2007, 07:33 PM
Both of the M1s that I have are shooters and one of em is tempermental. Tight groups one day and 3'' groups the next. I aint saying I'm complaining, most people I see at the range just wish they could shoot 3'' groups.:D .
I took out an M1 carbine and laid out 60 rounds Mynoote of eight inches and happy with that.

.45Guy
February 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
My favorite, and only Garand is A SA 43. I picked it up at a gunshow in Green Bay, because well, I always wanted one. It's a da*n fun rifle, but it does spend an inordinate amount of time in the safe. I'll have to rectify that.

RCR29
February 24, 2007, 08:18 PM
my favorite Garand is my CAI. I use it for hunting. It has been through hell, but shoots greats, and since its not a real Garand, I don't feel bad about using it in ways I wouldn't with my nicer ones.

Mr White
February 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
Funny you should ask about Garands today. I spent the morning at a Garand match.

I only have 1 Garand. A '56 Springfield 5.8M. A Greek issue CMP gun.
Good barrel, Almost new op rod, good trigger, decent wood. Ovarall a very good shooter. And it gets shot. A lot. It could use a little work to make it a top notch JCG match gun, but with good ammo, it shoots better than I do. (I have to start reloading 30-06 since I'm down to my last 150 rounds of Danish surplus. :( ) Its my favorite gun that I own and the Garand is my favorite gun. The only thing standing between me and hardcore Garand collectning is $$$.

Id love to have several correct wartime guns, some correct prewar, postwar, Korean War, and post Korean War guns, several NM guns and a few plain ol' shooters, but I'm not a rich man and I caught the Garand bug way too late, so I'll be happy with my 'Depot Rebuild Correct' '56 Springfield.

mustanger98
February 25, 2007, 06:47 PM
I got this rifle about three and a half years ago... came from CMP and was among the last of the Danish SG's they had. Receiver dates to Dec.'43 while the barrel is dated SA 1-51. WRA bolt, Springfield op rod and trigger group. The stock is birch, rear handguard is beech, and front handguard is walnut. The stock had the Danish FKF sticker in it, but it tore up while I was shooting it once. Several small parts are marked PB and BMB. So I got an interesting mixmaster... interesting to me, anyway.

This is the first semi-auto I've shot that I've had the pleasure of disassembling and really getting to know. On a good day, from standing, I can bust clays on the 100yd berm. I've fired this rifle across the bench at that same 100yd berm and grouped decent enough I felt I could tighten it up with more trigger time. I just wish I felt like it lately. This rifle spends way too much time in the safe for my liking, especially as it's in no way what I see folks considering a safe queen, but it's a real good shootin' rifle.

BTW, this is the one I've talked about in other threads that my Granddaddy got to see when it came in. I thought that was cool how that went because he's the one that turned me on to the M1 from growing up listening to his stories from WW2.

Badger Arms
February 25, 2007, 08:46 PM
It's an IHC that had a bad looking stock on it. I replaced the Handguards with plastic Butler Creek ones. I put my Smith Muzzle brake on it and a recoil pad... one of them rubber ones. The gun is not shot out, but it's smoothed out and purrs like a kitten. I like the Smith brake and fire this one most of the time. Now, when it comes to admiring a gun, I pull out my Winchester and just look it over every once in a while.

Cerca Trova
February 26, 2007, 12:51 AM
Sure, it looks, feels and smells like THE weapon that made the difference. For me, it is the sound, the bark, that the Garand makes. To me, and to a whole generation who used it, it is the sound of victory.

Beetle Bailey
February 26, 2007, 01:36 AM
love all my Garands the same! :neener:

Actually, I only have two. Both are Springfield Armory Service Grade rifles from the CMP. The second one I got is a Greek return that is a real looker. When I found out a hunter I know didn't own any rifles chambered in 30-06, I brought it out with a bandoiler of ammo so he could try it out. It's such a nice looking rifle that he, his brother, and two friends spent 10 minutes just admiring it at the shooting range. Finally I had to butt in and remind them that, yes, the rifle does shoot, and yes, I have ammo for it. :rolleyes:

He did quite well with it, hitting his brother's 5" steel plate at 100 yards five of six times from the standing position (his son and brother shot the other two rounds). Another friend of mine (and fellow THR member) also got a chance to shoot the rifle and now sees visions of M1 Garands in his sleep :D .

Since both rifles shoot equally well, if I went on looks alone, I'd say the Greek one. Since I got it, it's been the one to bring out to introduce non-Garand owners to the rifle. But, since you ask, I gotta say my favorite is my first one. Yes, the parkerizing is kinda worn in places and the stock has a few minor dings in it, but it's the rifle that I learned about Garands on. I met more than a few old vets because of that rifle, and I also learned how the whole operating system as one inter-connected unit when I took it apart and put it back together.

In short, my favorite one is the one that, while still mechanically sound and accurate, shows a bit of character and experience in a "been there, done that" kinda way. Oh, and it's no slouch in the looks department either. ;)

johnmcl
February 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
Clancy,

My favorite is my H&R. She's a Greek CMP and is one of my overall favorite rifles. She's no safe queen as she finds herself out on the range at worst monthly. I love the smiles from the Old Guards there. They always come by for a visit.

Her accuracy is all one would want. I find it breathtaking to put eight shots onto a steel sillohoutte quickly and then that ca-ching! Then that thought races through your mind, "Now that's a rifle......"

For a family portrait, here she is with her three sisters. That's her, second from the top.

If you enjoyed reading about "In your Collection of M1's ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!