Leverguns in .454/460/500?

PDA

rc135
February 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'll be buying a levergun this summer, and want a 'big-bore' rifle, preferably with a short (18-22") barrel, and preferably American-made, in .454/.460/.500. I'm already interested in the Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70, but am keeping my options open. Any suggestions?

I've seen the Puma in .454 already, and it looks pretty good, but would like to buy American if possible.

Thanx in advance.

"History is merely a list of surprises, it can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." Kurt Vonnegut

"When choosing between two evils, I always like the one I've never tried before." Mae West

"I generally avoid temptation, unless I canít resist it." Mae West

"The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy." George Washington

"I know that somewhere in the universe exists my perfect soul mate, but looking for her is much more difficult than just staying at home and ordering another pizza." Alf Whit

If you enjoyed reading about "Leverguns in .454/460/500?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ETXhiker
February 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
What will you be using it for? For fun and plinking, you might consider the .357/.41 mag./.44 mag. Marlins - ammo will be much cheaper than the exotic revolver rounds. For deer, they will work fine also, but the .454/.500 S&W will give more power. Since you have already mentioned the .45-70 guide gun... I suspect you already know what you want. ;)

270Win
February 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
I like the idea of the Marlin in .45-70... I'm sure that could fill in all the same roles as the others you're considering.

DogBonz
February 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
It was designed for a lever gun and will function well.

Plink
February 24, 2007, 05:52 PM
The Marlin guide gun is an outstanding rifle. Mine needed a lot of work though. It had an action so rough that there was no way to cycle it from the shoulder without it eating your hands alive. The trigger was just as horrid. Needed a full action job to work right. Most aren't that way though. I'm a magnet for lemons and always have been.

I admit to a love affair with Smith's .460! Just the ability to fire .454 and .45 Colt in it is enough to make me drool. The spire pointed bullets and accompanying trajectory are the real prize. I can't think of a better rifle/handgun combination than that.

JNewell
February 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
I don't think you're going to find anything that fits all your goals right now. The only lever action currently in production that will handle pressures in that range is the Winchester 92, and I don't think it will feed cartridges as long as the .460/.500. And, the only 92 clones currently in production are the imports sold under various names - not that they are bad rifles at all, but you specified American-made.

If handgun ammo isn't mandatory, as suggested, look at the .45-70 (or the .450 Marlin).

roscoe
February 25, 2007, 01:28 AM
Wild West Guns makes them. Bring your checkbook, but they are suppose t be the best. Some day . . .

http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/copilot_and_guide_rifles.html

JNewell
February 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
I may have missed it, but I didn't see .460, .500 S&W or even .454 Casull on their website?

If you enjoyed reading about "Leverguns in .454/460/500?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!