Liquid nitrogen + bullet/cartridge

PDA

.cheese.
February 24, 2007, 08:26 PM
Might be a silly question, but I'm somewhat curious what you guys think would happen if you dropped say a 9mm cartridge in a vat of liquid nitrogen.

Note: as curious as I might be - if you happen to have liquid nitrogen somehow, don't try this out just to satisfy my curiosity. Not worth whatever might happen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Liquid nitrogen + bullet/cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
musher
February 24, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm guessing it would get--well--colder.

Unless of course you were dropping it into liquid nitrogen immediately after taking it out of liquid helium. Then, of course, it would get warmer.

So in conclusion, I would say the cartridge would either get colder or warmer--depending.

hso
February 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
Nothing except the bullet and primer might loosen due to differential thermal stress.

gezzer
February 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
It would get very, very, very cold.:confused:

Lupinus
February 24, 2007, 08:45 PM
it would get a might chilly?

DogBonz
February 24, 2007, 08:49 PM
but nothing, other then it might not fire. The mythbusters did it when testing the "ice bullet" myth. I think that they got low velocity, but nothing crazy.

musher
February 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
Spelling and Grammar Nazis are pests with no life giving no useful input to discussion

Oh, and I think you need a comma in that sentence. :D

.cheese.
February 24, 2007, 09:38 PM
interesting.

I'll have to watch that episode somehow. Is it out on DVD perhaps?

I was more wondering if it would go off from compression? I figured the metal would contract and the primer would get squashed and go off..... after that I was out of ideas.

Don't know why I even thought about it, but it had me wondering.

madmike
February 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
It might loosen the bullet if the lead contracted more than the brass case, and even more likely with a steel case.

There also needs to be a period on that sentence;)

Gifted
February 24, 2007, 10:00 PM
The primer, and the pellet inside, would shrink too, so that wouldn't happen. And when you prime a round, you're actually compressing the compound a bit, and that doesn't set it off. Sudden shock or heat is needed for that.

highlander 5
February 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
More than likely it would be like glass and shatter when dropped on a hard surface I doubt that the powder would detonate.

Mot45acp
February 24, 2007, 10:15 PM
Next time I do a "line freeze" at work I will post results. Might be a while, I only do maybe 2 a year.

madmike
February 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
More than likely it would be like glass and shatter

Not likely. Metals are resilient to quite low temps, especially copper alloys.

scout26
February 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
Definitely don't put your tongue on it.

Neo-Luddite
February 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
Now the real question--will this increase the reloadable life of the case after thawing.

QuietShootr
February 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
Most likely, what would happen is that the LN2 would get inside the case and when you returned it to room temp it would expand and pop the bullet and/or primer out of the case. Other than that, nothing spectacular.

bogie
February 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
Make sure it's wearing a padded bra, for starters...

If you enjoyed reading about "Liquid nitrogen + bullet/cartridge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!